CBR1100XX.org Forum

So many uses for stainless steel zip ties

SwampNut

A little trick to getting them tighter than normal, especially useful if you don't have the proper tightening tool, use a small screwdriver or something to push the locking ball in as you pull the tie.  Another option is to bend the little tab that retains the ball to hold it in the locked position, then tighten.  There's only a tiny bit of loosening that happens doing it the normal way, but it can make a difference with some stuff.

46 minutes ago, IcePrick said:

Good answer for use in UV-exposed settings.  Added to my Amazon cart, thanks.

And the garage qualifies for that, because it's open often enough to get UV damage.  Even some of my anodized tools lost color, and the clear zips break.  And the only really huge ones I can find are from HVAC stores and clear.

On 11/29/2023 at 2:06 PM, The Krypt Keeper said:

well damn, all this time I been using them to attach shopping carts to peoples door handles. didn't realize they had a real functional use. 

I keep a tool roll in my truck, with a good pair of diagonal cutters.  I'd have it off in 30 seconds.

5 minutes ago, jon haney said:

I keep a tool roll in my truck, with a good pair of diagonal cutters.  I'd have it off in 30 seconds.

Yes, but do you park like a dick, which would justify the zip tie treatment?  I think the people who need it most, will be least prepared.  Another fun one is pepper spray on the door handle.

47 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

Yes, but do you park like a dick, which would justify the zip tie treatment?  I think the people who need it most, will be least prepared.  Another fun one is pepper spray on the door handle.

I actually try to not park like a dick, so it wouldn't be deserved for that.  However, I have likely done some things in traffic that might tick off a Karen enough to do that.  I think you're right about preparedness.

3 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Pepper spray. I like that.

13 hours ago, jon haney said:

cutters? 

come on man, got to step up your game. I keep a dewalt with a diamond cut off wheel in mine. Will ask for a gate key at different locations we are working at and when they argue/moan/groan about it I just tell them not to worry, I have a master key already if I need to get in or out. I will put a lock back on the gate for them though, let me know if you need the key. 

• Haha 1

On 11/30/2023 at 1:30 PM, SwampNut said:

On 11/30/2023 at 5:28 PM, RXX said:

Pepper spray. I like that.

We used to spray it on the air intake in Crown Vic’s. Or fill the defrost vent with hole punch paper bits, set selector to defrost and fan on high. Imagine the rookie’s face when he turned the key to the on position.

13 hours ago, TOXXIC said:

We used to spray it on the air intake in Crown Vic’s. Or fill the defrost vent with hole punch paper bits, set selector to defrost and fan on high. Imagine the rookie’s face when he turned the key to the on position.

did that to my boss at work, got in the truck and his arms went flying light he was trying to fight a ghost. :lol: I finally told him I did it 8 yrs later. He said he figured it was me, he was driving and hit a pot hole a few yrs later and a few of the hole punches flew out that must of been stuck. 

• Haha 1