CBR1100XX.org Forum

Broke mama's nipple.

Zero Knievel

57 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

Tell me you don't have a clue about using extractors without saying so.

Always drill the biggest hole possible and use the largest extractor you can.  If you used the extractor that would fit into the existing hole, of course it broke.  Once you break an extractor in a hole you're usually fucked.

So, why do the INSTRUCTIONS not mention this?  The largest that would fit barely went in, so I went a size smaller.  Doesn’t change the fact that using a small adjustable wrench and my bare hands, it broke.

37 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

So, why do the INSTRUCTIONS not mention this?

They typically do, and the extractors are typically marked for what size range of bolts they're to be used for.  Post a link or photos of what you used.

1 hour ago, superhawk996 said:

They typically do, and the extractors are typically marked for what size range of bolts they're to be used for.  Post a link or photos of what you used.

I asked the clerk for a screw extractor.  This is what he brought me.  Multiple reviews online say this set is junk, but I wasn’t shopping online.  I will have words for the clerk when I return it.  They had better options to offer.

The product claims to be vanadium steel, but as easily as it broke, I suspect there’s no substantial steel content.

IMG_0696.jpeg.a18c5453471c6660e17937ec8f9d7894.jpeg

10 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

So, why do the INSTRUCTIONS not mention this?  The largest that would fit barely went in, so I went a size smaller.  Doesn’t change the fact that using a small adjustable wrench and my bare hands, it broke.

Did you drill first or just use the existing hole?  Also the heat cycle is important, did you do that?

8 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

I asked the clerk for a screw extractor.  This is what he brought me.  Multiple reviews online say this set is junk, but I wasn’t shopping online.  I will have words for the clerk when I return it.  They had better options to offer.

The product claims to be vanadium steel, but as easily as it broke, I suspect there’s no substantial steel content.

IMG_0696.jpeg.a18c5453471c6660e17937ec8f9d7894.jpeg

I figured you had the spiral-type.  Breaking one of those in a soft steel bleed screw, definitely makes the material suspect.  Heat-treat may have not happened.

That being said, what did you expect for that price?

Mike, I have also snapped off small extractors and taps by using a cresent wrench. It's too easy to side load the extractor or tap.

I stopped doing that. Use a T-handle anytime an extractor or tap are needed.

Edited by CALCXX
  • Useful/Thanks! 1

2 hours ago, jon haney said:

I figured you had the spiral-type.  Breaking one of those in a soft steel bleed screw, definitely makes the material suspect.  Heat-treat may have not happened.

That being said, what did you expect for that price?

I asked the clerk.  I didn’t know there was other options.  When I returned it, the clerk said it was junk and he didn’t know why they bothered carrying it.  In the future, when buying a tool, I’ll ask what my options are rather than take whatever they pull from the shelf.

5 hours ago, CALCXX said:

Mike, I have also snapped off small extractors and taps by using a cresent wrench. It's too easy to side load the extractor or tap.

I stopped doing that. Use a T-handle anytime an extractor or tap are needed.

THIS. A socket in a t handle also. I have tap wrenches, some with socket drive incorporated into the design. Adjustable wrench is NOT appropriate.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, jon haney said:

Heat-treat may have not happened

If not, it would have resisted snapping and bent/stripped. A proper screw extractor should have differential heat treat, but shade tree mechanics ain't paying the up charge 

5 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

I asked the clerk.  I didn’t know there was other options.  When I returned it, the clerk said it was junk and he didn’t know why they bothered carrying it.  In the future, when buying a tool, I’ll ask what my options are rather than take whatever they pull from the shelf.

Shop an industrial supply store that sells high quality cutting tools. Not fat boy's auto supply.

19 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Always drill the biggest hole possible and use the largest extractor you can.  If you used the extractor that would fit into the existing hole, of course it broke.  Once you break an extractor in a hole you're usually fucked.

I don't agree with this. If you are too close to root diameter the screw extractor will expand what is essentially now a sleeve making it more difficult to extract as twisting the extractor forces it to expand. I start well below max size, and that way if it strips you redrill to the next size. If you gain experience a small drive impact can be used to "burp" it to shock it loose. Zero is not in this club.

5 hours ago, XXBirdSlapper said:

I don't agree with this. If you are too close to root diameter the screw extractor will expand what is essentially now a sleeve making it more difficult to extract as twisting the extractor forces it to expand. I start well below max size, and that way if it strips you redrill to the next size. If you gain experience a small drive impact can be used to "burp" it to shock it loose. Zero is not in this club.

Or just replace the damn caliper.  It was less work and time than trying to extract the nipple.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

Or just replace the damn caliper.  It was less work and time than trying to extract the nipple.

There is that. If you have time to let the heat cycling and penetrating oil work it's really not much different than replacing the caliper, time wise

9 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

And the depending on the car the caliper was probably under $70. 

I'd say unless operator error was involved broken nipple is clear indication of no maintenance, more specifically brake fluid never replaced. It is internal corrosion.

In this case internals might be in sorry ass state- replace caliper.

55 minutes ago, tomek said:

I'd say unless operator error was involved broken nipple is clear indication of no maintenance, more specifically brake fluid never replaced. It is internal corrosion.

In this case internals might be in sorry ass state- replace caliper.

Maintenance was done, but as I said, mom drove though flood waters.  I thought I flushed the system since then, but who knows.  I only track maintenance on my vehicles…and her car has over 250k on it.