CBR1100XX.org Forum

Trailering and tying down bikes

Zero Knievel

4 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Not even that.  Just a convincing lie that the co-conspirator whore in a black robe can defend to the people pretending to oversee him.

When did you become such a pessimist? 😉

12 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Weird way to spell realist.

I first heard "whores in black robes" in the 80s, and nearly swallowed my tongue laughing.  

Well, they do start out as whores in business suits.

6 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Are you going to commit and cut the excess off the straps?

I’d have to start a new thread and get the forum’s combined input first. 🖕🫵😊

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Are you going to commit and cut the excess off the straps?

He might not want to do that if he is going to use them for when he hauls his mower or other things.  Maybe after he tries it to see.

3 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

I’d have to start a new thread and get the forum’s combined input first. 🖕🫵😊

Well duh.  You can't just go and cut a strap willy nilly, you'd need a hot knife cutter which will require lots of input.

But seriously, not having a bunch of strap to have to secure makes life easier.  A less permanent alternative is to roll up the excess and zip tie it...and figuring that out 'should' only take two pages and three failed attempts.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Fuck that reminds me, the ground for one of my lights is cut somewhere, and I have to figure out why my (balanced) 10" tires are jumping. 

2 hours ago, JoWhee said:

Fuck that reminds me, the ground for one of my lights is cut somewhere, and I have to figure out why my (balanced) 10" tires are jumping. 

Many, maybe most, trailer lights ground through the mounting studs/screws.

First thing I'd check is the weights to make sure they didn't fall off, next would be to spin the tire and make sure it's not out of round.  I had a clip-on weight fall off about a mile from the tire shop, and watched a stick-on fall off Carlos's dirt bike while it was just sitting there.

When a trailer light has an open ground it'll usually do weird shit like flash all the running lights when you hit the turn signal and light them all with the brake applied.  If they're wired straight to the vehicle's taillight wiring the car's lights will also act up with turn and brake.

10 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

When a trailer light has an open ground it'll usually do weird shit like flash all the running lights when you hit the turn signal and light them all with the brake applied.  If they're wired straight to the vehicle's taillight wiring the car's lights will also act up with turn and brake.

All that it is doing is nothing, brane/signal don't light up, tail light wheh headlights are on is also dead, but the sidelight marker nearest on the same wires, is working properly. 

I'll check the tire again, but I've even used a spare and swapped the tires to different sides, I wonder if it's an inflation issue, the tires are rated for ~1100lb at 50 psi, I've run them as low as 25 psi because the weight of the bike and trailer are about 800lb.  Each axle is rated for 1400 lb also, I'm hoping the axles aren't the issue as they are torflex and it gets expensive to swap out parts on a trailer I might use twice a year. 

4 hours ago, JoWhee said:

All that it is doing is nothing, brane/signal don't light up, tail light wheh headlights are on is also dead, but the sidelight marker nearest on the same wires, is working properly. 

I'll check the tire again, but I've even used a spare and swapped the tires to different sides, I wonder if it's an inflation issue, the tires are rated for ~1100lb at 50 psi, I've run them as low as 25 psi because the weight of the bike and trailer are about 800lb.  Each axle is rated for 1400 lb also, I'm hoping the axles aren't the issue as they are torflex and it gets expensive to swap out parts on a trailer I might use twice a year. 

Something I forgot to say; if it has LED taillights they probably won't do the goofy open ground stuff I mentioned, I've never tested it, but guessing not.  If the light only has two wires then it's being internally grounded by the mounting screws, usually only one of them.  If it has an external ground wire it 'should' be white and is almost always attached to one of the light's mounting screws, or it'll have its own screw.  I've never seen a trailer that had a ground wire going back to the lights, they're always frame grounded at each end.  If it uses normal bulbs check it, trailer bulbs and bulb sockets shit out way faster than on a car.

I can't imagine the axle causing it.  The hub could if it was machined wrong, super loose bearings might be able to cause it.  Either can be easily checked.

Edited by superhawk996

10 hours ago, JoWhee said:

Definitely ground issue. Taillight assemblies are grounded to the body of the trailer. I'd take a look there. 

I have one on those tilting bed utility trailers. I got tired of chasing disappearing ground and run dedicated wire from electric plug to the bed of the trailer.