CBR1100XX.org Forum

Trailering and tying down bikes

Zero Knievel

On 10/6/2023 at 12:04 PM, SwampNut said:

Oscar even gave you pictures.  I repeated it.  Sigh.  Those are very light duty, and 350 is an optimistic STATIC rating.  See how the strength only comes from the material (open loop) instead of the material and a circle (closed loop)?

Actually, he himself posted the photo of the forged eye bolt.  I'm pissed at myself for being surprised that he then went and bought the weakest style.

I wonder what clusters of fucks will come with the tie-down rings you gave him.

18 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

Actually, he himself posted the photo of the forged eye bolt.  I'm pissed at myself for being surprised that he then went and bought the weakest style.

I wonder what clusters of fucks will come with the tie-down rings you gave him.

It’s what they had.  There were no forged eye bolts in either store.

3 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

It’s what they had.  There were no forged eye bolts in either store.

Reminds me of a review I read recently about a process.  The specific thing doesn't matter.  It was along the lines of "this is terrible."  I substituted X with Y because I didn't like how X looked.  Then I substituted two other things because they weren't at the store.  Nothing worked right, this is awful, don't bother trying to make it.

On 10/6/2023 at 12:04 PM, SwampNut said:

Oscar even gave you pictures.  I repeated it.  Sigh.  Those are very light duty, and 350 is an optimistic STATIC rating.  See how the strength only comes from the material (open loop) instead of the material and a circle (closed loop)?  You could also use these, and I'll mail you a couple of you want.  I'll never use them, since well, the ultra-nice U-Haul moto trailer is only $15/day.

Got the care package.  The smaller ones might have done the job, but I went with the forged eye bolt I got at Rural King.  I see no way to anchor equally thanks to the swingarm/muffler arrangement.  Yeah, it’s leaning to the left, but I only put the bike on the trailer to see where my drill options were.  Didn’t have the front strapped down.

IMG_0703.jpeg.be06d2db52b1bea6b66ceefeb291a032.jpeg

IMG_0704.jpeg.b98fc566e173056bf413526d2fad4c86.jpeg

43 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

Woulda been better off with a longitudinal strap over the tire.  It'll probably work, but knowing that it's trying to pull the bike to the left would bother me.

I did not wanna be the first person to point it out. Thanks. 

That strap is there to prevent rear wheel from jumping of the rail, really. Front ones takes care of everything else. So, why not something like this, strap over the wheel and under the rail. But that would be too easy. 

IMG_0703.jpeg.be06d2db52b1bea6b66ceefeb291a0322.jpeg.0d4a7fdfbf664ec0d7fc00df218c746d.jpegIMG_0704.jpeg.b98fc566e173056bf413526d2fad4c862.jpeg.a65b418916491f9b9d9f2c512965cdb3.jpeg

Edited by tomek
  • Upvote 1

You would never get an appreciable measure of tension with a strap placed there, and you’d risk marring the wheel.  Besides, it does provide additional lateral stability during transport.  It’s why I use 4 straps when 2 supposedly is all I need.  Honestly, I question if this tie down would work on a flatbed trailer based on my swingarm/exhaust positions.  Maybe it’s the shaft drive.  There is really no way to have left and right straps equally positioned without one or the other hitting something.

8 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Woulda been better off with a longitudinal strap over the tire.  It'll probably work, but knowing that it's trying to pull the bike to the left would bother me.

It’s not pulling to the left because of the strap.  Done properly, I would have the two front straps done and then apply the rear strap.  It would be “level” before started.  I put the bike on the trailer solely to determine where to drill for the anchor.

Edited by Zero Knievel

5 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

You would never get an appreciable measure of tension with a strap placed there, and you’d risk marring the wheel.  Besides, it does provide additional lateral stability during transport.

You clearly don't understand how things work.  You don't need "an appreciable measure of tension", it just needs to keep the wheel in the channel.  Wrapping the strap around the bottom of the wheel would accomplish that with 0 tension, and even with some slack in the strap, the only reason I didn't suggest it way earlier is because I knew you'd worry about marring the wheel.  Your setup will provide some lateral stability from the left side and near 0 from the right...which equals a pull toward the left.

5 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

It’s not pulling to the left because of the strap.

It will be trying to pull the top of the tire toward the left, how much you tighten it will determine how much pull.  Since you want "an appreciable measure of tension" you'll also have an "appreciable" amount of force pulling left.

If you still don't get it: Visualize the center point on the trailer between the two anchor points you installed, it's going to be on the left side walkway, and much further left than you might initially think.  To get the true center point of the pulling force you have to first extend an imaginary left side anchor point down and left at the same angle as the tightened strap to the same height as the right anchor, it'll be somewhere around where the wheel bearings are.  Now that you have that center point in your head, imagine one strap looped around the top of the tire and being pulled toward it.  Hopefully you can now 'see' how your system will actually be pulling.

Will it cause a problem?  Probably not, as long as you don't tighten it too much and don't have a flat tire.

Is it ideal?  Clearly not.

7 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

You would never get an appreciable measure of tension with a strap placed there, and you’d risk marring the wheel.  

Nonsense. You could use short part of the strap, cut off the hook, and, bingo. You could simply reuse your ruined straps. 

Old piece of floor carpet works extremely well as a surface protector. Soft side toward the wheel. Extremely durable. Widely used in trucking industry amongst flat bed drivers to protect straps against sharp edges, etc. 

But I'm with you, there is absolutely no reason to use 5 bucks solution that works.

8 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

So if you shake the bike how does it feel?  Does it feel it will hold it there?

I’d have to properly strap down the bike to check.  Keep in mind that the trailer simply lacks anchor points that work with the single sided swingarm and exhaust can.  If the front straps do most all the work and the rear simply makes sure the tire doesn’t bounce, it should be fine.

I like the folding trailer concept, but clearly this model is only ideal for certain designs.  The seller added holes for additional anchor points, so even with his Goldwing, more was needed.

• 5 months later...

Let the ridiculing begin....

FWIW, I'm buying this largely because IF I need to take the zero-turn mower anywhere, I'll need it.  I might as well use it for the motorcycle too.

The folding trailer would be worth it IF I could strap the BMW down symmetrically, but the position of the exhaust can and the shape of the rear drive prevents that.  I also don't care for how the folding trailer DOES NOT have springs separating the axle from the rest of the trailer.  I don't know if the lack of a spring causes damage on long hauls, but I've NEVER had an issue trailering a bike in the back of a pickup truck or trailer with a sprung axle.

I could see about an upgraded folding trailer, but since I need this for the mower, at this price I can't ignore it as the better option.

trailer.thumb.jpg.28e5f9348c9c5cad7291002f78ece93f.jpg

@Zero Knievel I'd see if you can find a weight limit. You Zero turn might be too heavy. 

Is it a spring suspension or the rubber torque style. My snowmobile trailer make it from Milwaukee 3 and 1/2 hours north, OK, but they're highway rated.

The comments on the one that you have listed say top speed of 60 MPH?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/carry-on-trailer-5-ft-x-8-ft-wood-floor-utility-trailer-5x8gw2k-pc-2079869?store=2544&cid=Shopping-Google-Local_Feed&utm_medium=Google&utm_source=Shopping&utm_campaign=&utm_content=Local_Feed&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzZmwBhD8ARIsAH4v1gVedRfdQUdBnpFtC251ACX69hG1G-xsQGGjCUVQ_LqCbfjIHKY-XrIaAnvpEALw_wcB

1 minute ago, XXitanium said:

@Zero Knievel I'd see if you can find a weight limit. You Zero turn might be too heavy. 

It's under 600 lbs.

Is it a spring suspension or the rubber torque style. My snowmobile trailer make it from Milwaukee 3 and 1/2 hours north, OK, but they're highway rated.

Spring.

The comments on the one that you have listed say top speed of 60 MPH?

FWIW, U-Hauls are rated for 55 MPH (per the manual).  We've all seen them go faster than that. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, XXitanium said:

How much room in your yard do you have to store this? Could you store one? That's just a little bigger?

I have room for bigger, but this is more than large enough for my needs.

3 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

Let the ridiculing begin...

Don't worry, none of us will say you should have listened from the start, not one of us.   😁

The new trailer will be nicer to use over the other one.

IIRC he had something similar and sold it because they're no good, then started on his mission of failed attempts to transport his bike different ways.  The bike trailer is probably way better than his for bike transport, but somehow he apparently thinks that this will solve his inability to strap the bike down properly.  Yea, cargo trailers are way better for motorcycle transport than motorcycle trailers are.

I wonder how many more straps he'll need now that he's putting it on something with no chock or rail to hold the tires in place.  Then I wonder how long before he asks why his towing gas mileage was suddenly cut in half just from switching trailers 😂