CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rear differential question.

Zero Knievel

The truck has 216,000 miles and is a 1998 model.  Normally, I do nothing about the rear differential unless something seems amiss as it isn’t listed as a “regular service” component.

Still, should I take it in and have a “drain and fill” done by a mechanic given the age and mileage or does it not matter.  There is a fill port, but they’d need a way to suction out the old stuff or open up the differential to drain the old stuff out.  I did it myself on my old S-10, and that was a pain.

You would get more looks at stuff like this in the garage section but yes, I would replace the fluid.  It really isn't very hard to do.  Just remove the rear end cover, clean the gasket area, either put new gasket on or use gasket maker and replace cover.  Put a piece of 3/8" rubber hose on the bottle of the lube and fill until it starts to run out of the hole.  Your owners manual should tell you what lube to use. 

Buy a new gasket.  Remove the cover.  Clean up all the shit you will find stuck in there.  Replace cover and gasket.  Fill.

25 years and 200k is way too long between diff oil changes.

98-12 is allegedly the same.  This isn't that difficult.  Same job as my Firebird and I've done it lots of times.  Hell, I've completely rebuilt one twice, and that's WAY more work setting backlash and all that BS.  And, yes, that is WAY too long to have not done this yet.  Especially with you pulling 15k fifth wheels 🤣

3 hours ago, SwampNut said:

It had lifetime oil?

If it was an auto then yes.  My 2000 BMW even has a sticker on the Transmission stating so. I changed the fluid at 130k. We all know theirs no such thing as lifetime fluid.  On another note how does Mobile one now get 20k miles between changes? How does it differ from the 10k version?

6 hours ago, Furbird said:

Nissan CVT's have "lifetime oil" and we see how well that bullshit worked out.

That has more to do with build quality.  The Prius says little about coolant and transmission fluid changes.  Owners say to do the transmission every 50K and coolant every 100K as a preventative measure.

I figure if they intend routine fluid changes, there would be a drain plug and fill plug…like the transmission case.  I’m not having any performance issues, but the age of the truck is what made me question.

The general rule I’ve been told is to not open things up unless absolutely necessary.  So, no drain hole tells me to not fuck with it.

44 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

The general rule I’ve been told is to not open things up unless absolutely necessary.  So, no drain hole tells me to not fuck with it.

Do you really believe that gears meshing together for 25 years, 216,000 miles wouldn't benefit from a fluid change?  Why even ask about it if you wasn't going to do it to begin with?  

1 hour ago, blackhawkxx said:

Do you really believe that gears meshing together for 25 years, 216,000 miles wouldn't benefit from a fluid change?  Why even ask about it if you wasn't going to do it to begin with?  

I may be dating myself, but some systems do go without maintenance under NORMAL use.  You don’t replace steering fluid or change the lube in CV joints just because of age or mileage.  I normally expect that items needing maintenance have indicators like drain/fill ports or grease fittings.  Otherwise, you don’t fuck with it.

The truck was a daily driver for 95%+ of its life.  It’s not having issues at present.  The idea of spending some coin to take care of it comes from realizing it’s not worth the $$$ to get a new(er) truck versus doing some needed TLC.  Considering the Haynes manual says to replace the fluid every 60K, I’m surprised there isn’t a drain port on the differential.

14 hours ago, Furbird said:

Nissan CVT's have "lifetime oil" and we see how well that bullshit worked out.

It worked out perfectly.  I don't know what you're talking about.  I guarantee that the oil outlasted every one of those shitty transmissions.

12 hours ago, CBR-RR-XX-CESS said:

If it was an auto then yes. 

DCT.  And I knew it would be gone before it could hit a trans/diff oil change, the thing saw less than 4k miles/year and I considered it a ticking time bomb when the warranty ran out.

7 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

So, no drain hole tells me to not fuck with it.

Sigh.  Where's that head-mount steering damper again.

I may be dating myself, but some systems do go without maintenance under NORMAL use.  You don’t replace steering fluid or change the lube in CV joints just because of age or mileage.  I normally expect that items needing maintenance have indicators like drain/fill ports or grease fittings.  Otherwise, you don’t fuck with it.

I just  replaced the power steering fluid in one of my vehicles a couple of months ago.  Most but not all automatic transmissions haven't had a drain plug on them through the years and yet many manufacturers stated that the fluid needed changed.  

1 hour ago, SwampNut said:

Sigh.  Where's that head-mount steering damper again.

Double sigh.

Jiffy Lube type places will suck it out through the fill hole.  If they try hard they'll get a decent amount out, chances are they'll do whatever's easy.  Best way is to remove the cover.

10 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

Jeezus.  Change it or STFU.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CBR-RR-XX-CESS said:

On another note how does Mobile one now get 20k miles between changes? How does it differ from the 10k version?

Better additives, and/or a better legal team to fight off the rare claim for a failure.

One of my customers was using Amsoil's super duper 25K oil and filter.  I believe it was during the third interval that the engine went.  It was found to have a massive amount of sludge build up.

I’m surprised there isn’t a drain port on the differential.

Very few have them and all of them need oil changes to live long.

10 hours ago, Furbird said:

FTFY 🤣

zeroshirt.jpg

Nice.

I take a large.

You do realize the issue in question would likely fail long past the expiration of the warranty, right?

On 7/9/2023 at 3:17 PM, blackhawkxx said:

You would get more looks at stuff like this in the garage section….

Sorry about that.  I keep thinking the garage is for bike-related issues.

13 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Jeezus.  Change it or STFU.

I shall.  Keep in mind this thread started on Sunday.  It’s now Tuesday morning.  I’ve not even been to town yet, and the truck gets used maybe once every couple of weeks…to take the trash to the collection center.

I could use extra eyes on this…

IMG_7287.thumb.jpeg.5eb05178f5d66f219bde783b27c3c66c.jpeg

This is the best image I could get of the tag on the differential.

Based on the following site, this is the essential information….

https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/ford-7-5-8-8-inch-axle-tag-door-codes/

7.5” ring gear

The “L” in the “L73” indicates a limited slip which requires adding a friction modifier when refilling.

I think you read it right.  I really doubt the LS is doing anything at all any more, with the neglect and age.  Put one tire in the air, and the trans in neutral.  Can you spin the tire freely?

Yes:  LS is not working or not installed.

Barely:  LS barely working.

No:  Good LS.