Jump to content
CBR1100XX.org Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tomek

R1 winter maintenance and minor upgrades.

Recommended Posts

After 2018 spun rod bearing fiasco due to clogged oil pick up screen I decided to go over some things. Dropped oil pan and removed previously offending parts. Screen was pretty clean, but better safe then sorry. Since radiators and exhaust were out anyway removing cylinder head was only extra hour of work. This is race bike so no shit load of oem plastics, and inline 4 is so much easier to work on vs. V4. Gonna clean intake ports and clean and polish exhausts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From wtf department. Backed out sprocket studs. never seen anything like that before. I mean tire has two days, so it happened recently, there is no way I would have missed that when fresh rubber was put on. Post mortem revealed no oem treadlock. Weird.

IMG_20200120_191224605.jpg

Edited by tomek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Real weight savings vs. fake like supersprox.  i use rear brake about 1-2 times per year, so who cares what is there. Cool 1.1 pounds lighter than stock.

IMG_20200120_190455215.jpg

IMG_20200120_190439856.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And it looks like that mounted on the wheel. Pure porn.

IMG_20200120_192954862.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's sexy and scary looking.  I know you don't normally use it, but I'd love to know how it compares in braking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, superhawk996 said:

It's sexy and scary looking.  I know you don't normally use it, but I'd love to know how it compares in braking.

It doesn't, but if you're hard on the fronts, the rear is likely off the pavement anyway.  My guess is, it also allows greater control of rear trail-braking.

See these skeleton rotors on a whole lot of drag bikes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you think it would be viable for a street bike that's not used much?  I assume the only issues would be that it won't last long and that it could overheat fast in heavy use, but it's so far from a 'normal' rotor that I don't know what to expect from it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

Do you think it would be viable for a street bike that's not used much?  I assume the only issues would be that it won't last long and that it could overheat fast in heavy use, but it's so far from a 'normal' rotor that I don't know what to expect from it.

Why would you want it for street use?  Just for looks? 

 

On the tire, I have never seen a rotation direction arrow point both ways but than I never had a bike slick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, blackhawkxx said:

Why would you want it for street use?  Just for looks? 

Pretty much.  The weight loss is a nice bonus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

 

 

On the tire, I have never seen a rotation direction arrow point both ways but than I never had a bike slick.

I've never noticed it has arrows in both directions. Some tracks are really hard on one side and really easy on the the other one. Turns that slowly open up are the worst offenders. They absolutely kill one side of the rear tire on liter bike. Turn leading to main straightway at local Autobahn North is like that. All wear on the right, almost nothing on the left. So you flip it.

It has been standard operating procedure to flip rear slick since I remember arrows or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The construction of some tires makes it dangerous to run them backwards, you can peel the tread off under power.  This one being marked like that lets you know that it's safe either way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People has been flipping , in alphabetical order, Bridgestone, Dunlop, Metzler, Michelin and Pirrelli slicks for the last 15 years without shit pilling off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

The construction of some tires makes it dangerous to run them backwards, you can peel the tread off under power.  

 

What happens when you apply the brakes?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fizzy said:

 

What happens when you apply the brakes?

 

The tire actually grows new tread, so with excessive braking you an end up with a really huge tire that rubs the fender.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I've read is that the way the tread compound layer is 'wrapped' on some tires there's an angle at each end of the tread where they join to make the circle.  The angles on the front & rear tires are reversed when mounted in the right direction.  The front only sees force in one direction, the rear only sees small braking force in the 'wrong' direction so it doesn't do anything bad.  If you put enough force on that edge in the wrong direction it can start to lift the edge and peel it away.  Think of two pieces of rubber pushed against each other and both of the touching ends are at a 45* angle instead of straight up & down.  If you rub across that surface in one direction the thin lip of one side would be easier to snag and peel back, in the other direction you'd rub right across the edge as you'd be pushing that lip downward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm shocked that a professional tire engineer hasn't told you how stupid you are yet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A professional, or The Professional?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was trying not to Beetlejuice here.  But should be fine if you don't say it three times.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We made up, the education *should* be civil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, superhawk996 said:

What I've read is that the way the tread compound layer is 'wrapped' on some tires there's an angle at each end of the tread where they join to make the circle.  The angles on the front & rear tires are reversed when mounted in the right direction.  The front only sees force in one direction, the rear only sees small braking force in the 'wrong' direction so it doesn't do anything bad.  If you put enough force on that edge in the wrong direction it can start to lift the edge and peel it away.  Think of two pieces of rubber pushed against each other and both of the touching ends are at a 45* angle instead of straight up & down.  If you rub across that surface in one direction the thin lip of one side would be easier to snag and peel back, in the other direction you'd rub right across the edge as you'd be pushing that lip downward.

When you said "tread compound layer", Did you really mean "cord layers"?

Don't think the tread or rubber cares which direction it gets pulled.  Other than that, I think you are right.

Edited by jon haney

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gentle readers, I didn't mean to start an argument.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is awesome when guys who have never had slick mounted on their bike, and whos lap times are measured by calendar share their priceless experience and knowledge.

 

Some things never change, and some people here will never learn anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SwampNut said:

I'm shocked that a professional tire engineer hasn't told you how stupid you are yet.

 

You assume for whatever reason that I ever read your bros posts. Maybe first sentence or two. There is no information value there, only choaos, chatter, pollution, noise, all  irrelevant to OP.

Different thread, same shit.

Edited by tomek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jon haney said:

When you said "tread compound layer", Did you really mean "cord layers"?

Don't think the tread or rubber cares which direction it gets pulled.  Other than that, I think you are right.

I've heard that the cords/carcass/general construction can also be directional, but I did mean the traction compound, as in the outer most part where the tread is.  And, see below.

2 hours ago, tomek said:

There is no information value there, only choaos, chatter, pollution, noise, all  irrelevant to OP.

Different thread, same shit.

I googled "run motorcycle tire backwards" and this was the first hit.  https://www.gixxer.com/threads/my-tire-was-mounted-backwards.273196/. Post #4 is about a guy who had his race tire start peeling after flipping it, and a few posts down is an article from AMA describing exactly what I said about the traction compound peeling if it's stressed in the wrong direction.  Maybe the AMA is wrong, but I have more faith in them than someone who goes off talking shit citing irrelevant crap as evidence.  Going fast around a track doesn't make one an expert on all tires produced, or even the tires he has run on.  Tire designers aren't racers and racers aren't tire designers.

 

Funny shit, the next one I clicked on there were many with questions/comments/assumptions, one who had encountered a peeling problem with a flipped tire on the track, a few that had never had an issue, and one fuckhead that sounded just like Tomek.  He called everyone idiots, he has raced on flipped tires and they NEVER have issues, it's internet folklore and everyone else is a moron for believing it.  He's probably faster than everyone else on that forum so he's probably right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course you googled trying to get a clue. Next thing you come to my thread and try to highjack and pour your shit on it. It is your standard operating procedure.  It happens over and over again.

 

I was strictly talking about race only rear slicks. I looked into provided link, they are talking about pilot race, thats dot track tire. NOT FUCKING SLICK. Of course that did not stop your from pouring your fucking 5 minutes ago learned wisdom from google search engine on my thread.

 

Why don't you start your own thread about running rear tire backwards ?

 

Honest question, do you have inferiority problem vs. my person, like you are desperately trying to prove something ? 

I don't wanna deal with you at all, but you always somehow squeeze in. 

It is hopeless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use