Jump to content
CBR1100XX.org Forum

How to straighten bike cable?


Zero Knievel
 Share

Recommended Posts

I bought this but I don't want to fight the coil.  My thought is to hang it from something, add weight, then use a heat gun to work out the curls.  Will that work?

 

cable.jpg.d9ad345e1361e9cbe369f9dfa5dca0f3.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Hot water?

 

My best guess is that the steel is the part holding the shape, and that it's done on purpose to keep it on a bike frame and not be a danger.  So we just need the water to get to a couple thousand degrees and keep it from melting the plastic off.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

My best guess is that the steel is the part holding the shape, and that it's done on purpose to keep it on a bike frame and not be a danger.  So we just need the water to get to a couple thousand degrees and keep it from melting the plastic off.

 

I fear you may be correct.  The heat needed may be nothing short of leaving the thing stretched out on hot pavement during a sunny, summer day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Heat it 'till the plastic drips off plus another 500F and you'll be in the ballpark of starting to get it.

 

But actually, if you pull it straight it'll relax the coils, the harder you pull the better it works.  Winch, come-a-long, ratchet strap...whatever you got.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Great, now we will never know what made it coil.  :)


My vote is on the universe wanting to make me its bitch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/14/2022 at 7:53 PM, blackhawkxx said:

Great, now we will never know what made it coil.  :)

I know what made it coil, the manufacturer, what we won't know is what it takes to un-coil.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/16/2022 at 1:52 PM, superhawk996 said:

I know what made it coil, the manufacturer, what we won't know is what it takes to un-coil.

Talk to this guy. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use