CBR1100XX.org Forum

low end bogging

zee1100xx

i have a problem with my low end it doesnt come on till about 7000 cant even get the wheel up in first pop the throttle in neutral it bogs noticeabley, new plugs ,new k&n air cleaner ,yoshi exhaust ,turbo blue race gas the bike is a 97 carberated,with 13000 on it any tips on this,or hp in general would be appricated :arrow: ;now the rest of the story,i bought the bike used 3 weeks ago and ride with 2 other birds that run a lot better than mine but it took me 3 weeks of riding to figure it out since its been 15 years since i last ran on the street now im starting to ride it a little more aggresivly it bogs bad when goosed something it took me 3 weeks ie first 1000 miles to get used to it [arrive alive] as my buddies say ,have fun ,ride safe,but now i have to fix what i got, need tech advice for the newby i have lots of tools and gauges being a mech for 23 years on cars, trans are my specialty,bikes are my new interest, but my shit dont run right and that dont cut it with me,no more turbo blue,daul yoshi slipons i think have to stay for now,dont know if it has been rejetted but the carbs looked clean and vacume was just under 11 and was synched at that and pilot screw was set using the idle drop procedure and was set right back to my old marks must have been right, both of the other birds have k&n filters with no mods nesasary but rejetting is a thought but where and what is avalelible going for a test ride later zee

I don't think it would have that much of an effect but sounds like you may be running slightly too much air. Try putting in the stock air filter. But that shouldn't account for THAT much air getting through. Were the carburetors removed for this maintenance?

Were the carbs rejetted to compensate for the air filter and exhaust modifications? With stock compression, regular pump gas should work just fine, as should the stock heat range plugs. What do your exhaust tips look like?

Hmmmm, on one of my last V65's I put in a K&N filter w/out re-jetting or changing the exhaust-and had EXACTLY the same thing happen. The bike was flowing way too much air so it would bog like a sunuva bitch below 5500...and I had to spin way up to launch at lights. Re-jetting was required.

Bryan...got fuel injection now...

Get rid of the race gas. On a stock motor it does nothing. Your wasting your money on it. Unless you are one of those pee-brains that thinks the smell of the exhast is worth the money. If you by it from a gas station, it probably has a TON of water in it because not enough people buy it, so it sits in the tanks at the station collecting water. On top of it all, Turbo Blue is the shittiest race gas made. It's SHIT! If you insist on running race gas, get some VP.

yoshi exhaust

Slip-ons or a full system? If it's a full system w/ a K&N then yea, you are probably getting too much air and need to re-jet. How does it idle? check the plug wires? what plugs did you use? etc. etc..

All that money just to make a bike run like shit. Amazing.

Put real gas in it. Put the stock pipes back on or re-jet it.

And if the problem started right after the new plugs, make sure you have the right ones and double check the hoses you removed when you took off the tank.

With a used bike you'll have to find out what was done to the bike from the previous owner(s) or investigate yourself.

Don't do the Honda idle drop procedure. It only puts the pilot screws back at the low emissions, barely running,EPA mode.

Turn all pilots in till they bottom lightly then out 2 1/2 to 3 turns.

Were you in the carbs? You'll have to see if there is a jet kit or not. With the air cleaner and pipes a jet kit is mandatory.

I also say save your money, bike made to run on regular.

• 1 month later...

Same thing happened to me on a '98 XX, after only the K&N (I hate paying big $$$ for stock paper elements so I put one in right after initial break-in)

You can mess with the pilots if you have the right tool, or you can shim the stock needles, or buy a jet kit. For a good laugh, see:

http://www.exodus-dev.com/teletactics/pers...l/cbr1100xx.htm

(yeah, it's amateurish, but what the hell... I couldn't leave well enough alone....)

• 2 months later...

finally got this thing cured, put in a dynojet kit with the 140 jets,used the k&n filter and got a huge power upgrade but still had a flat spot [ 4000 to 6000] i could'nt get rid of so of to ohio super bike it went for a dyno tune final answer was to put in 142 jets needles in 4th slot down ,no more flat spot and another hp gain running at 141 hp now for a after market full exhaust system hopefully will see 150 hp ,andy at ohio superbike says it will, cool runs super now