CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chrome Plating

Speed99

All,

NOTE: This post is foreplay! I have JUST acquired the system to do plating and will be practicing before offering discounted services to friends.

On that note...I have acquired the system necessary to do plating on metallic and non-metallic parts. The system includes tank and brush plating for copper and nickel and brush plating for chrome, hard chrome, black chrome, and gold. I have yet to plate a single part, but in the two months of researching this topic, I have learned a ton!

Lil' bro, dad, and I wanted to have the system because we were sick of paying people like Hardley Ableson $3 for a single chrome bolt. Now we can do it on our own. The first thing I am going to do is the rearsets on the Bird.

Anyway...just wanted to give you all a heads up. After some playing around, I hope to be able to provide quality plating to others....the turn-around and service will still suck, but it will be cheap! :grin::grin::grin::grin:

-Rick

How big of stuff will you be able to chrome?

No swingarms or wheels, just small stuff?

I will be able to chrome ANYTHING with enough time and money. :grin:

Tank plating systems limit your product size to the size of the tank and the size of the rectifier (i.e. amount of juice) running through the system. For example, a 5 amp rectifier is good for parts around 30 sq inches. A 10 amp rectifier is good for anything around 100 square inches. I have the tank systems to do copper and nickel.

Brush plating (on the other hand) has no limits to product size. You attach the negative lead to the product and the positive lead to a handle that has a copper or nickel wand. you dip this in solution and 'brush' it over the product. Now, this is not like brushing paint...there are not streaks or brush marks. The major difference is the TIME it takes. If I wanted to do a swingarm (like the one on my bike which I WILl do. :grin:), then I will have to brush the copper...polish it....brush the nickel....polish it, then brush the chrome. Hence...triple plating!

We got the tank systems to reduce our labor on smaller parts AND to allow us to Electroform (plating non-metallic surfaces.) For electroforming, there is a conductive spray that you apply to the surface of the non-metallic. You have to tank plate the copper in this process. After that, you can tank plate the nickel or brush since the surface is now metallic.

$10,000 question: why didn't you get a tank system for chrome?

Answer: Laws! The waste from chrome plating in tanks is bad and the EPA hates it. They have made it illegal for new operations in Florida (old companies are grandfathered in) and the trend is going that way for more and more states. BRUSH plating chrome creates no waste water pollution and is safe....therefore: EPA happy!

Sounds as though I need to make another trip south Rick! :grin:  

You can use mine as a "TEST PROJECT" if you like. :wink:  

You'll be kept busy doing HD pieces for your dad.

Bring your ass back down here and we will chrome some stuff! :grin:

Very Cool! I will be interested in your progress.... what's that black chrome look like?

It looks BADASS!!

Let me know how it all goes and I will be one of your first customers. I would love to have my rearsets and a few various other pieces black chromed.

I practiced with my first bike part this weekend (pics to follow as soon as dad sends them.

I started with the grab bar that goes behind the rear seat. Probably not the best part to start with.

[1] It is non-metallic and requires a different process.

[2] It is a little large for the initial copper and nickel tanks that we set up to practice in.

[3] Non-metallic parts require that I spray a conductive metallic paint onto the surface of the product. I don't think I had the right set-up and the spray went on rather rough.

[4] When I copper'ed over the paint, I had areas that chipped...need to figure that out.

[5] The nickel went on nice.

[6] I need to practice with dip times to get better build up. When trying to smooth and polish the metal finish, I sand through the metal product...also causing chipping.

[7] One part of the product got good coverage a smooth finish and the chrome looked really good for the first time out.

[8] Finally: The chrome finish will be as good as the polishing job. If the polishing leaves pits and scratches, you will see pits and scratches in the chrome.

I am going to do either my foot pegs, rear sets, or exhaust hangers next....sticking to a purely metal surface this time so I can polish it first and then get a realistic idea of the plating process.

I will keep you informed

-Rick

Thats awesome. Count me in for stuff as well.... And if you need a local test subject?!?! heheh

Keeps us up to speed. I'd love the see the Black chrome. If it looks anything like the "ROH" and "Simmons" wheels I can't afford I'll be in love. You take credit cards? :lol:

OK, I found some pictures...

First Black Chrome

black_chrome.jpg

Secondly Black Nickel

black_nickel.jpg

Found this stuff at this site...

http://www.guildplaters.com/standard.html

This is getting me very interested....

Can you imagine Black Nickel wheels.... Doa.... Me first!

You must work faster, faster, faster....

How much do you want to do my wheels.... Fuck the foreplay, lets just do it! :razz: