CBR1100XX.org Forum

Cooling Aid

blackhawkxx

In the past, some here that live in the sweaty south have looked for ways to make their Bird run cooler. I ran across this, it is for a Busa but sounds like a good idea. What do you think?

Fan Temp Switch Relocator is a billet relocator for the radiator fan temperature switch. It relocates the temperature switch to the lower right rad hose, It turns the fan on sooner and leaves it run longer. This little piece is a big help in city driving. The relocator includes a block off plug for the original sensor hole in the left side of the rad and a plug and play harness.
http://store.schnitzracing.com/rcc-radiator-fan-switch-relocator-suzuki-gsx1300r-hayabusa-99-07/

Or you could install manual override for fan switch. In reality this won`t help much, it would just delay the whole process of overheating.

You don`t have to be fluid ( gas ) dynamics scientist to realize the radiator fan on XX is installed in retarded place.

Right in the middle and very close to exhaust headers, the air has simply nowhere to go.

Two side mounted smaller fans would-in this case- be much better solution, and that is what you usually see on other bikes.

You could also buy and adjustable fan thermostat/switch. They have a thin rod you slide through the radiator fins to sense the temp and a dial to set your switching temp. You could do one of those with an add-on fan in front of the rad. and have a stand-alone system that supplements the stock one. There are some pretty small high flow fans out there, often used with oil coolers, that would probably fit great and cover a large portion of the rad with air flow. Carlos used to run water wetter with pure water and that seemed to work well for him in stupid hot Az. There's a specific water wetter for pure water street use, super water wetter I think.

Or you could install manual override for fan switch.

Granted, I've only had two liquid-cooled bikes, but I had to put a manual fan switch on both to keep them from running hot. Cheaper than replacing the sensor. Does require having a temp gauge to look at, though.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...