CBR1100XX.org Forum

Why can't you air dry wear-ever air filters?

RXX

I am cleaning my cooper's air filter. It is a K&N type filter. It has been washed and rinsed out. Cleaner kit (K&B) mfr. specifically says to let dry naturally. Why can't I blow it out a little, or put it in front of the fireplace or in my food dehydrator?

This natural shit turns a pleasant task into an overnite pita.

Why not reinstall it on the car and let it run for a few minutes? The intake flow should dry it evenly and quickly, and so long as there isn't a dirt storm going on, shouldn't be bothersome to the engine.

The stress of all that airflow on a wet/damp filter would be the same as hitting it with compressed air.

i've heard that on mass airflow sensor (hotwire) equipped cars, any oil mist coming off a freshly cleaned & oiled filter can contaminate the wire, triggering a check engine light.

some buy a 2nd filter and keep it pre-washed & oiled in a plastic bag, ready to install.

i've heard that on mass airflow sensor (hotwire) equipped cars, any oil mist coming off a freshly cleaned & oiled filter can contaminate the wire, triggering a check engine light.

Fur real. If that happens remove MAS and spray it with carb cleaner and let it dry naturally .

Blowing can put holes in it and using heat can harm the fibers so they say. That being said, I think many have cheated a little.

+1

or in my food dehydrator?

Why not reinstall it on the car and let it run for a few minutes? The intake flow should dry it evenly and quickly, and so long as there isn't a dirt storm going on, shouldn't be bothersome to the engine.

Low velocity dry air .... done in just a few minutes. Yep. Sounds good.

I'd not think the intake is "low velocity." Some cars really suck in air at a good rate.

I'd not think the intake is "low velocity." Some cars really suck in air at a good rate.

Sure it is.... @ idle. Even up to 2-3K rpm, for that size of filter wold be Low velocity.

What K&N really doesn't want you to do is Damage the filter material by using high pressure or high heat conditions.

The only draw back to install it back in the bike, in order to dry it out is, you just have to remove it again in order to Oil it properly.

Now...

If there is some way for the person who is servicing this filter can, pass some dry air through the filter, at a low velocity and pressure, then yes, that person could dry out the filter quicker, and be able to apply the proper amount of oil to it, so that they could finish the service in a timely manor.

For instance: setting the filter on edge, 6-12" in front of a desk fan... would be great. It would probably be dry in 10-15 minutes... instead of 6-12 hours.

I don't know how the filter mounts on a Mini, but on my pickup with a cold air setup, it's a simple matter.

I usually shake the water out of mine, let it sit in the sun for an hour, and it's good to go. BTW, while it's much more expensive, the spray cans of filter oil are way easier to apply.

I think near the fireplace anywhere you can sit comfortably, or dehydrator would be fine.

When I had one in my prior truck, I kept the old paper filter to swap in while it dried.

The XX has one, but I have never cleaned it in 25k mi. :unsure:

How did your other dishes come out?

I tend to do car and bike parts without dishes in the same wash. When I redid the brakes on my old 1275 mini the brake drums came out looking like new, as did the flywheel. My wife was moderately pissed though.

Fur real. If that happens remove MAS and spray it with carb cleaner and let it dry naturally .

It not only can trigger the light, in some cases the computer doesn't realize that there's a problem with the MAS and it leads to other problems as it tries to compensate for the faulty signal generated my the MAS. Never use solvents on a mass air sensor. Use non-residue electronics cleaner (NOT electrical cleaner) or mass air cleaner. Solvents can damage the sensor, the housing (if plastic), and any seals. As for drying a K&N, a dehydrator should be fine as well as any temperature that wouldn't feel uncomfortable to touch. The heat issue is that it can shrink the fibers which makes an already crap-ass filter into more of a screen door letting in even more dirt. High pressure air can break or move the fibers leading to a similar outcome.

It not only can trigger the light, in some cases the computer doesn't realize that there's a problem with the MAS and it leads to other problems as it tries to compensate for the faulty signal generated my the MAS. Never use solvents on a mass air sensor. Use non-residue electronics cleaner (NOT electrical cleaner) or mass air cleaner. Solvents can damage the sensor, the housing (if plastic), and any seals. As for drying a K&N, a dehydrator should be fine as well as any temperature that wouldn't feel uncomfortable to touch. The heat issue is that it can shrink the fibers which makes an already crap-ass filter into more of a screen door letting in even more dirt. High pressure air can break or move the fibers leading to a similar outcome. I wouldn't clean it unless it's truly restricted. If it's dry, just re-oil it. The dirtier it gets the better it filters. I would toss it in the trash and put in a stock filter, but most people who've spent that K&N money don't want to hear that so just keep it oiled and minimally clean it if you want to keep dirt out of the motor.

• 2 weeks later...