CBR1100XX.org Forum

Which oil filter for 'bird

superhawk996

I'm sure this has been blown up a million times but searching comes up with all kinda shit. I'm mostly interested in a cross reference to a purolator or motorcraft number if one exists unless there's strong evidence that I should stick to OEM or another specific filter.

Also, if someone can educate me on making the search here better that'd be bitchen. I typed oil filter and got a million things that have nothing to do with oil filters. I'm guessing it's searching anything with either word, is there a way to make it search for both together?

I believe the OEM filter comes with a new filler bolt washer. It is shrink-wrapped also.

Not unless they started lately. All the ones I have on the shelf are shrink-wrapped filters only.

It has been several months since I last changed mine, and now that you mention it, the washer was taped to the shrink-wrapped filter. Don't know if I asked for it or whether it was just lagniappe on the part of the dealer.

I typically run the PL14610, which is the Pure One version, and longer than the PL14612. If you have the room between the header and the filter, I'd recommend the longer filter.

50,000 plus miles and I have NEVER changed that washer on the drain plug.

I'm using a hi-flo only because I bought a bunch of them on sale, next time it will be one of these, probably the Bosch since it's available in Canada.

XX Oil Filters

Purolator Pure One PL14612, about $6.

Mobil M1-108, about $12.

Made by Champion.

Bosch 3300, about $6.

Wal-Mart SuperTech ST6607

• Upvote 1

I'm using a hi-flo only because I bought a bunch of them on sale, next time it will be one of these, probably the Bosch since it's available in Canada.

XX Oil Filters

Purolator Pure One PL14612, about $6.

Mobil M1-108, about $12.

Made by Champion.

Bosch 3300, about $6.

Wal-Mart SuperTech ST6607

My Wal-mart doesn't have Super-Tech filters anymore, and they wanted $12 for the Bosch filter. It has been about a year since I last checked, however.

I went with the Mobil.

FYI, my Triumph Streety takes the same filter and so does my wifes Nissan Altima.

50,000 plus miles and I have NEVER changed that washer on the drain plug.

Yeah, well, I am anal about how clean I keep my bike. It has caused problems..........

I was out getting ammo and a battery for my sandrail today and decided to pick up a filter. I was gonna grab the 14612 then started hunting. I saw that the 14610 was longer and had the same other specs so I grabbed it. When I got back and looked at clearance I decided it's probably not a good idea to put the filter that close to the header. I like the extra media, but the thought of it being that close to the exhaust is troubling. Not so much the heat into the oil, but that heat on the filter and by-pass spring. BTW, I've read all this crap about the oil changes being a pain because it gets all over the header and I didn't; what gives?

You drain the oil...some might dribble on the header pipe lower.

You take the filter off. If you loosen it and let is drip the excess into a pan, less might get on the header as you work the filter out of place.

Here...

These Oil Filters
have 20 x 1.5mm threads,
14 psi by-pass valve,
anti-drain back valve,
2.3" O.D. gasket
2.5" to 3.5" long.

If you have the room, I recommend the longer filters.

Motorcycle Filters.
None are recommended.

• AC Delco PF2135
  • AMSOil SMF103
  • Carquest 85358
  • AC Delco PF2135
  • FRAM PH6017A
  • Honda 15410-MCJ-000
  • K&N KN-204, about $13. Metric nut on end for easy removal.
  • NAPA Gold 1358
  • Purolator ML16817. Imported, not made by Purolator.
  • STP SMO 17
  • WIX 51358

Recommended filters.
All have superior
filtering.

About 2.5 inches long.

• Purolator Pure One PL14612, about $6.
  • Mobil M1-108, about $12.
    Made by Champion.
  • Bosch 3300, about $6.
    Made by Champion.
  • Wal-Mart SuperTech ST6607
    Made by Champion.

Automobile Filters,
about 2.5 inches long.

• AC Delco PF1237
  • Baldwin B1400
  • Firestone TF2876
  • Hastings LF113
  • NAPA Gold 1365
  • Purolator L14612
  • STP S-02876
  • WalMart SuperTech ST6607
  • WIX 51365

I did not post the longer filters... since they do not fit well.

The last time I could find the WalMart SuperTechs ST6607 at my Local store, I piad $2.88 each and I bought everything they had. (5 or 6)

Here...

These Oil Filters

have 20 x 1.5mm threads,

14 psi by-pass valve,

anti-drain back valve,

2.3" O.D. gasket

2.5" to 3.5" long.

If you have the room, I recommend the longer filters.

Motorcycle Filters.

None are recommended.

• AC Delco PF2135
  • AMSOil SMF103
  • Carquest 85358
  • AC Delco PF2135
  • FRAM PH6017A
  • Honda 15410-MCJ-000
  • K&N KN-204, about $13. Metric nut on end for easy removal.
  • NAPA Gold 1358
  • Purolator ML16817. Imported, not made by Purolator.
  • STP SMO 17
  • WIX 51358
Recommended filters.

All have superior

filtering.

About 2.5 inches long.

• Purolator Pure One PL14612, about $6.
  • Mobil M1-108, about $12.

Made by Champion.

• Bosch 3300, about $6.

Made by Champion.

• Wal-Mart SuperTech ST6607

Made by Champion.

Automobile Filters,

about 2.5 inches long.

• AC Delco PF1237
  • Baldwin B1400
  • Firestone TF2876
  • Hastings LF113
  • NAPA Gold 1365
  • Purolator L14612
  • STP S-02876
  • WalMart SuperTech ST6607
  • WIX 51365

I did not post the longer filters... since they do not fit well.

The last time I could find the WalMart SuperTechs ST6607 at my Local store, I piad $2.88 each and I bought everything they had. (5 or 6)

This would be a great list to put in a sticky.

Your welcome,

But I can't take all the credit; I just shortened up the list, to only include the most relevant info.

Said list is a copy from here... http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html

The guy has done a great service to the entire motorcycling community with that piece right there.

As for the Longer filters that are listed on the webpage.... 3.5 instead of 2.75 long... they don't work well with the stock header. They are too long, and will hit the header when you are trying to start the threads.

Thanks for the thread and link.

I have always bought OEM and didn't know that the XX and ZX14 took the same filter. I also ordered the Suzuki adapter and now my Busa will also take the same filter as the rest of them. It will be nice just keeping one filter for all and paying about half the price, plus getting a better filter to boot.

I was hoping my TSX would also use the PL14612, but it looks to take the longer PL14610.

I went with the PL14612. Woulda loved to use the longer 14610, but no room. It was $7.07 OTD at Pep Boys. I tore apart the OE filter that was on the bike. It's pretty well made looking, the only thing I didn't like about it initially is the flat steel spring holding the filter cartridge against the face plate, but it was very robust looking with incredible stiffness, nothing like what Fram uses which also acts as the bypass. The can is pretty thick and well rolled together and the cartridge was held together very well with steel end plates.