CBR1100XX.org Forum

Replacing a windscreen

BlackbirdRob

I've just ordered a National Cycle Cheetah windscreen for my new Blackbird (this is my first post to this forum). Apologies if this has been posted before but I was not able to find any specifics around the "how to" aspect of screen replacement.

My question is: What are the steps involved in repacing the stock windscreen with a replacement windscreen? I observed that the upper two (one per side) "bolts" have nuts underneath them but the lower four (two per side) are obscured by the fairing. Do these "bolts" also have nuts on their bottom side which would require removal of part of the fairing or are the nuts attached to the fairing? If so, that would mean that the screen replacement would only require ensuring that the nuts for the top two nuts (one per side) dont get lost when loosening the bolts and then removing the other four bolts, then removing the windscreen and finally, reversing the removal procedure to replace with the new windscreen.

Are these the right steps or does something else need to be considered?

Thanks,

Rob

i think you posted in the wrong area. But I'll help. The bottom 4 just screw in no nuts. take all of them out (6). Carefully pull the screen up and out. the middle ones have metal inserts and the bottom ones have threaded rubber inserts. hope this helps.

There are two "wellnuts" (little rubber peices with a threaded brass part inside) that will come out with your stock screen, on the two lowest holes. If you get rough pulling the screen out, these may end up on the floor. these will need to be transfered to the new screen. Other than that, you've got it figured pretty well......... :grin:

Since i just changed my windscreen recently, i will fess up. All but the two rubber mounted lower bolts/nuts are easy, just turn-and-go.

To remove the two lower rubber mounted bolts/nuts, first unscrew them ((all the way)), until they come out. Then, lube up the rubbers with WD-40 (love that stuff) and twist them off from underneath the windscreen. Do it gently, like you did with your first girl (:shock:) One at a time they will slip in and out easily (no kidding).

Put the lowers in your new windscreen, there you go...

:wink:

and.. if your smart.. or just inclined to have little things just totally dissapear.. (like me) go to the dealer and get a couple of those little rubber thingys before you do the job, just incase.. they um.. dissapear... I just did what you are doing and the bottom right one pulled out as I took the screen off and it got sucked up by the black holel in every bike that makes bolts and circlips and shit like that dissapear... just a word of caution... good luck I love my cheeta

I just did what you are doing and the bottom right one pulled out as I took the screen off and it got sucked up by the black holel

:lol: That shit happens to me all the time. By now i should be able to build a motorcycle from the missing parts.

black hole 2 rider 0

The same thing happened to me but I'm not detered so easily. I took off all the plastics and found that little sucker. It was lodged between the ram air intake and the bottom of the cowl. Man, I'm getting good at taking off those plastics. Only an hour and a half to replace them all. Next time I do it for the record time!!!! :roll: I have all my metric allen wrenches in hot stand-by. :lol:

To remove the two lower rubber mounted bolts/nuts, first unscrew them ((all the way)), until they come out. Then, lube up the rubbers with WD-40 (love that stuff) and twist them off from underneath the windscreen.

Um, I wouldn't recommend using WD-40. WD-40 is a petroleum product and as such, it rots rubber. NEVER use a petroleum distillate on rubber...

Joe

All good info. I wish i would of read it before I took it off and lost a wellnut on a Saturday night. The dealer has a lot in stock for a good reason, they disappear! Especially the lower ones. I ordered the same windscreen on the National cycle website for 20 bucks! The only problem at least on the 02 is that you need the inside sticker or something to cover the lower portion wich has cables etc. The sticker alone was anther 35 bucks, but it's worth it.

It's hard to complain for 20 bucks, but the cheetah just does not fit flush with the cowl. It leaves the inner cowl edge exposed and the screen sits below. It's functional, but not pretty

Dale,

You are using the ZG Smoked Sport Touring screen?

How is that working out?

I am 5/8 and would like to try this screen but am worried about turbulent/dirty air around the helmet...I prefer clean air flowing past the helmet...

Any trouble with the tint at night? Do you look through the screen at night.

I was also thinking the tint might help with glaring cager headlights at night.

How is the screen working for you?

I would like to try this screen but am too chicken shit to part with the cash w/o knowing if it is right for me and the XX.

i'm 6'0" and ride fairly upright, and wind now goes over my shoulders.

But not over my head.

i don't look thru it, couldn't if i wanted to, but even tucked, my eyes are above the screen.

fit and install was good and easy.

some pics for your perusal:

fc2e65da.jpgfc2e65d8.jpg