CBR1100XX.org Forum

Brent's Motor rebuild

cbrxxquad

I'm watching just like the rest. I figure the engine rebuild stuff is inevitable with forced induction. It's nice to see someone that knows more about it go through it, though. It might cut the number of times I have to ask you stupid questions in the future. :icon_biggrin:

2200 views and counting, one of the most frequented threads here in the garage ever. Keep it up, Stan, the rest of us will continue to watch, just a bit awestruck.

Stan, I appreciate what you are doing and would enjoy seeing as many pics with explanations as you care to post...Keep up the good work...Hank

+1

2200 views and counting, one of the most frequented threads here in the garage ever. Keep it up, Stan, the rest of us will continue to watch, just a bit awestruck.

+1 :icon_biggrin:

You suck Stan.

Just kidding of course. I've been keeping up and have enjoyed the thread. Seeing you go through this gives me the courage to tackle the inevitable CCT repair when it becomes necessary. I know that there are good guys (and gals, I guess) on this thread that are willing to lend an ear and offer good advice when needed.

Looking forward to seeiing you in October.

You suck Stan.

Just kidding of course. I've been keeping up and have enjoyed the thread. Seeing you go through this gives me the courage to tackle the inevitable CCT repair when it becomes necessary. I know that there are good guys (and gals, I guess) on this thread that are willing to lend an ear and offer good advice when needed.

Looking forward to seeiing you in October.

Miss you too. LOL. :icon_biggrin:

I've enjoyed reading this thread alot. I have thought of putting a turbo on my bike and the rebuilding of the top end would come as part of it. Lots of good info in the thread. Some people are not into the wrench turning and it's threads like this that are inspiring to them,,, wrench on!

photos

link reputed, Many more than what gets putted here just for info.

Been lapping the valves and checking for seal with vacuum, and shimming the valves clearance. Have not gotten the rings yet,( new ones), but did get the spring seat.

Got Tomek's valve tool today too. Can't wait to try it.

The shim set has three of each. which is a bummer, cause we set all the valves the same. It will be ok I think.

DSC04247.jpg

DSC04252.jpg

DSC04253.jpg

look at how much the seats stick out in the inlets

DSC04144.jpg

and look at how much shit is in the ports

DSC04147.jpg

all gone now and really smooth, but I don't like polished

Rough casting! Is that the infamous PAIR outlet (where air comes into the exhaust stream) on one of the exhaust valves?

one of them yes, in that angle it will pull a vacuum as the gas goes by. I have put my pair system back and connected to the valve cover to pull a vacuum on my crankcase. I works and good, and with my air-box sealed ram-air really does work good. I recommend it. highly!!!

Rough casting! Is that the infamous PAIR outlet (where air comes into the exhaust stream) on one of the exhaust valves?

one of them yes, in that angle it will pull a vacuum as the gas goes by. I have put my pair system back and connected to the valve cover to pull a vacuum on my crankcase. I works and good, and with my air-box sealed ram-air really does work good. I recommend it. highly!!!

So did you eliminate the PAIR valve and just Tee the hoses to the crankcase breather?

So did you eliminate the PAIR valve and just Tee the hoses to the crankcase breather?

no just tied the pair caps together and then to the breather tube that goes into the valve cover. The reeds in the pair prevent exhaust pressure from backing into the crankcase until velocity in the exhaust pulls vacuum on the pair ports shown. I plugged all the holes in the aircleaner including the holes that vent water sucked into the inlets with a check valve that closes when pressure is present in the box. That way it will drain the water when you slow down.

hope that is clear, kinda hard to explain. where is that picture???

post-893-1248051728.jpg

I told you fricking people to do PAIR-crankcase vent mode two years ago but as a dumb immigrant I can get no respect here. :icon_evilgrin: .

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?...526&hl=pair

Value of reducing/creating vacum in the crankcase has been known since 5 B.C.

I told you fricking people to do PAIR-crankcase vent mode two years ago but as a dumb immigrant I can get no respect here. :icon_evilgrin: .

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?...526&hl=pair

Value of reducing/creating vacum in the crankcase has been known since 5 B.C.

You told me, and it was not the only thing I forgot that night,,,thank god. :icon_redface: Still need to download the MAP readings from my LM1, also

Still had not gotten the rings Monday, so called again, they overnighted some and got them Wed. Thursday, got the first set...13 days ppost. From California.

Started filling the new rings and fitting...

DSC04265.jpg

DSC04263.jpg

DSC04267.jpg

DSC04272.jpg

DSC04273.jpg

DSC04276.jpg

DSC04278.jpg

DSC04281.jpg

had a bearing seize from shit, but cleaned up...

DSC04287.jpg

DSC04288.jpg

DSC04289.jpg

rebuilding the oil pump, was pretty scared up, but the clearances are fine, polished out the scratches as good as I could.

Going good so far...going to clay the valve piston clearances, and decide on compression ratio..What do you think Brent?

DSC04299.jpg

Oil pump ready to assemble

DSC04306.jpg

installed

DSC04319.jpg

DSC04318.jpg

This was reeally a bad thing, they had an aluminum plug made to tap off the pressure oil for the turbo, only problem is that aluminim threads in a fine thread is a problem waiting to happen. So, since I can't stand having a motor dump oil under the only tire putting down 5oo hp, I built a steel plug, not really. I Drilled a stock plug so the allen was still useable. Much better.

DSC04320.jpg

DSC04321.jpg

DSC04322.jpg

DSC04323.jpg

Still have to do some ss fittings to get him back to what he had, but, I really think that he should add a oil accumilator to the line, so I am going to add a tee instead of an ell, maybe he will.

I'm sure this is probably a dumb question, but aren't those little arrows on the top of the pistons supposed to be pointing towards the front of the motor?

:icon_think:

I'm sure this is probably a dumb question, but aren't those little arrows on the top of the pistons supposed to be pointing towards the front of the motor?

You might want to take a closer look, ie blow them up, Jon, the marks on the pistons I put on there, so I would know. I for intake E for exhaust, which cylinder I want them to be in. The pistons came with no marks. The only way to know is that the exhaust valve cutout is a little closer to the edge of the piston. Go figure, I would have never thought that. Yes I had to ask.

I can't believe I am just now seeing this thread. :icon_doh:

Amazing work Stan.

You know you were mentioning that the piston rods did not have the holes that allowed oil to spray on the bottom of the pistons like the stock ones do. The Carrillo rods in my XX are the same, no holes.

I can't believe I am just now seeing this thread. :icon_doh:

Amazing work Stan.

You know you were mentioning that the piston rods did not have the holes that allowed oil to spray on the bottom of the pistons like the stock ones do. The Carrillo rods in my XX are the same, no holes.

Well they can be :icon_twisted:

You might want to take a closer look, ie blow them up, Jon, the marks on the pistons I put on there, so I would know. I for intake E for exhaust, which cylinder I want them to be in. The pistons came with no marks. The only way to know is that the exhaust valve cutout is a little closer to the edge of the piston. Go figure, I would have never thought that. Yes I had to ask.

I see it now. The arrow I was refering to is actually the number 4 that you stamped on it.

So, does it actually matter which way new pistons go in? The valve pockets looked the same on both sides to me.