CBR1100XX.org Forum

Brent's Motor rebuild

cbrxxquad

I'm sure this is probably a dumb question, but aren't those little arrows on the top of the pistons supposed to be pointing towards the front of the motor?

:icon_think:

You might want to take a closer look, ie blow them up, Jon, the marks on the pistons I put on there, so I would know. I for intake E for exhaust, which cylinder I want them to be in. The pistons came with no marks. The only way to know is that the exhaust valve cutout is a little closer to the edge of the piston. Go figure, I would have never thought that. Yes I had to ask.

I see it now. The arrow I was refering to is actually the number 4 that you stamped on it.

So, does it actually matter which way new pistons go in? The valve pockets looked the same on both sides to me.

I'm sure this is probably a dumb question, but aren't those little arrows on the top of the pistons supposed to be pointing towards the front of the motor?

You might want to take a closer look, ie blow them up, Jon, the marks on the pistons I put on there, so I would know. I for intake E for exhaust, which cylinder I want them to be in. The pistons came with no marks. The only way to know is that the exhaust valve cutout is a little closer to the edge of the piston. Go figure, I would have never thought that. Yes I had to ask.

I see it now. The arrow I was refering to is actually the number 4 that you stamped on it.

So, does it actually matter which way new pistons go in? The valve pockets looked the same on both sides to me.

I'll take that as a yes.

I'll take that as a yes.

:icon_twisted::icon_biggrin::icon_whistle:

DSC04273.jpg

so nobody noticed the oil hole was wrong in the rod,,,

:icon_twisted::icon_biggrin::icon_twisted:

I was just gonna say " The oil hole is the wrong way" on the thing-a ma-bob :icon_whistle:

great write up Stan .... makes me wanna go home and tear down my spare XX motor

found the link

I told you fricking people to do PAIR-crankcase vent mode two years ago but as a dumb immigrant I can get no respect here. :icon_evilgrin: .

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?...526&hl=pair

Value of reducing/creating vacum in the crankcase has been known since 5 B.C.

found the link
I told you fricking people to do PAIR-crankcase vent mode two years ago but as a dumb immigrant I can get no respect here. :icon_evilgrin: .

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?...526&hl=pair

Value of reducing/creating vacum in the crankcase has been known since 5 B.C.

On mine I am creating a vacuum in the crankcase but I use the negative air pressure created in the compressor intake. I had to make an adapter to hold the air filter and tapped a hose barb through to the inside of the filter. The other end goes to the PCV fitting on top of the motor. Stopped all that pesky oil smoke at start up too.

Only problem I ran into was I needed a restrictor in the hose as it was pulling too much oil vapor into the compressor at full boost.

That's where I am at, calculating cr. and the sleeve reinforcing. I don't have the equipment to properly do that type, but I have been considering another way to support it with a receiving groove o-ring. I could do that, if I had a mill....and it would help with the seal also.

Looking at that as a possibility in a few weeks,,, so depending on Brent's ability to pay for the additional work compared to the durability of it. I think he is going to have to make that decision as to the pressures and potential failures.

He has an idea that head gasket failures leave a lot to be desired and they are a direct result of the lack of cylinder support there.

With the valve to piston clearance now and a stock gasket used I wonder where we can go without the plate. We are close, closer than I was expecting without cutting the valve reliefs more. And a thicker head gasket will have a lot less support. I am leaning to a solid copper head gasket, and o-ring. Got any input in that area?

That's where I am at, calculating cr. and the sleeve reinforcing. I don't have the equipment to properly do that type, but I have been considering another way to support it with a receiving groove o-ring. I could do that, if I had a mill....and it would help with the seal also.

Looking at that as a possibility in a few weeks,,, so depending on Brent's ability to pay for the additional work compared to the durability of it. I think he is going to have to make that decision as to the pressures and potential failures.

He has an idea that head gasket failures leave a lot to be desired and they are a direct result of the lack of cylinder support there.

With the valve to piston clearance now and a stock gasket used I wonder where we can go without the plate. We are close, closer than I was expecting without cutting the valve reliefs more. And a thicker head gasket will have a lot less support. I am leaning to a solid copper head gasket, and o-ring. Got any input in that area?

Give Cometic a call direct for their opinion.

Also, a lot of the import car guys are running a lot of boost and they sometimes do a hybrid gasket...o-ring in the block made out of copper with a MLS head gasket.

Where are the coolant jackets?

On closer inspection I notice that this is not attached to the engine case.

Hmmm, Honda?

So, if this is going to be a 30 PSI turbo motor, what'd the CC values put your CR around?

What are you going to degree the cams to?

Going to do the sleeve thing on the cylinders? (Like below)

reinforcedCases.jpg

Where are the coolant jackets?

On closer inspection I notice that this is not attached to the engine case.

Hmmm, Honda?

So, if this is going to be a 30 PSI turbo motor, what'd the CC values put your CR around?

What are you going to degree the cams to?

Going to do the sleeve thing on the cylinders? (Like below)

reinforcedCases.jpg

the top has a plate that goes inbetween the sleeves and the case and is 1/2" thick. and you can't see the rest of the block that is near you in the picture cut off.

It is the honda BB motor, but just the top of the case. So you can see all the way to the cardboard.

The numbers,,,

Bore 3.1875"

Stroke 2.23"

Rod length, 4.31"

piston dish 12cc

head gasket thickness, .060"

diameter 3.188

head 18cc

intake valve opens 40' abdc

7.52407: 1 static compression ratio

45.699 cc total displacement

effective stroke is 2.08"

dynamic compression ratio 6.75 ; 1

dynamic cranking psi 127.24 psi

dynamic boost CR relative to static CR cam timing altitude(1000 foot) and boost of 30 psi is,,,,,20.53:1

volume to pressure index is 25

Copper headgaskets also have a propensity for seeping, partially due to the fact that they need to be retorqued periodically...

As an aside, the MLS headgaskets prefer almost a polished finish on the mating surfaces and Cometic suggests they be assembled dry. I've been using spray Hylomar instead and have had no problems...then again, I'm not running that much boost...

Dean, when you said you went with "a know and proven solution", what was it?

Stan, thanks for all the pics and the updates..great thread and very interesting...Hank

Ok got done with it, cams at 105 cl on the intake and 111 cl on the exhaust. Sealed up and ready to ship, other than boxing, or not. primed the oil system so it is going to have a qt of oil in it and the filter. went ahead and stuck some old plugs in it, and pluged all the lines. Made a line to connect the coolant lines and left it so might send it back. fittings are there but moved around just to seal and bagged the rest.

So if you want to have the guy come by, I will leave it like it is, Brent, but if your going to have me ship it, well going to have to build a box and attach to a pallet.

But, I am headed to the OK city area this weekend and I might be able to get it to the Chicago area, if that would help. Otherwise, I might be out during that time.

Kinda anticlimactic ain't it.

Ok got done with it,

:icon_clap: :icon_clap: :icon_clap: :icon_clap: :icon_clap: :icon_clap: :icon_clap: :icon_clap: :icon_clap: :icon_clap: :icon_clap: :icon_clap: :icon_clap:

Amazing!

LMK if you need help with the cams on Dean's motor!

:icon_wink:

Ok got done with it,

:icon_clap: :icon_clap: :icon_clap: :icon_clap: :icon_clap: :icon_clap: :icon_clap: :icon_clap: :icon_clap: :icon_clap: :icon_clap: :icon_clap: :icon_clap:

Amazing!

LMK if you need help with the cams on Dean's motor!

:icon_wink:

next week? :icon_biggrin:

Dean, when you said you went with "a know and proven solution", what was it?
The sleeve shown in the picture. I had Elton do the 1st one (current one), and that 2nd one I bought at a "garage sale"..I've pushed almost 40 PSI of boost to the motor and never had a head gasket issue.

Gotcha...

I was thinking about the different headgaskets when I asked and hoped you had a trick setup...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Sweet thread, Stan.

Love to see an XX motor torn down now and again. :icon_biggrin:

Well look who just pop in now and then. That just made it worth it. Great to see you again, I have missed you. Too cool. How have you been? Things all good?

Hey guys Jay posted!!!!