CBR1100XX.org Forum

Battery Life

CALCXX

How many years of service for the XX battery?

Hard for me to believe my original battery is still good. Nine years.

I don't own a Battery Tender. I just start it a couple times during the winter months.

Try to run it above 6 Grand when ever possible. 36K miles

No powered accesories. Original R&R

98XX.

I have heard some say you should get a new battery every 3 years.

I guess you don't get very cold in the winter, cause freezing will shorten the battery life.

How many years of service for the XX battery?

Hard for me to believe my original battery is still good. Nine years.

I don't own a Battery Tender. I just start it a couple times during the winter months.

Try to run it above 6 Grand when ever possible. 36K miles

No powered accesories. Original R&R

98XX.

Good to know that the battery can last for a decade so one doesn’t worry to soon. I would however replace a nine-year-old battery since a failure is inconvenient and can take out the R/R and stator.

5 years on my original battery.

I just bought a new one cause I hate to fix stuff when it's not convenient.

Damn Hondas having to replace stuff every 5 years.. :0 Had my first bulb go out today. Lo beam headlight. 5 years old too...

I'm looking to replace my battery - 7 yrs old (see posting from yesterday). I probably could stretch it a little by using my battery tender, except I ride with GIVI soft saddlebags and it's inconvenient to unwrap the seat to get to the battery - then re-wrap - for the spur-of-the-moment ride.

M

I'm looking to replace my battery - 7 yrs old (see posting from yesterday). I probably could stretch it a little by using my battery tender, except I ride with GIVI soft saddlebags and it's inconvenient to unwrap the seat to get to the battery - then re-wrap - for the spur-of-the-moment ride.

M

A lot of battery tenders have a small plug you can mount to the battery, then hang in a more convenient place for quick connections/disconnections.

I replaced my factory battery after 7 years, only because I figured I should, and had a new one sitting there for almost 1 1/2 yrs. Even managed to kill the factory battery at least half a dozen times and it was still going strong.

The Yuasa that came with my brand new (at that time) SV lasted 6 months, just outside of warranty. Three years is a good rule of thumb and changing it (cheap insurance) beats being stranded with a dead battery. Batteries are wear items- just like tires.

• 1 month later...

Just read a blip in Rider magazine the other day...and the writter said you should change your Battery every 3 years.

Well after researching batteries for the past 3-4 hours, I now know that's about half true... Basically it's true if and only if you have a liquid battery, not a gel or a AGM (otherwise known as dry cell).

Gel batteries are supposedly good for 5-7 yrs, and AGM's are good for 7-10 years. Of coarse all the years of service life, greatly dpends on what kind of service it's been through.

Additionally, the stock Yuasa is supposedly a AGM... so it should be good for 7-10, and hence why we all have so little battery problems.

For a good tutorial on batteries, go here... http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_battery.html

I think I've found the one I'm going to order... It's a DEKA ETX14

http://www.batteryplex.com/motorcycles-det...series-list.cfm

Since I sometimes run around with a heated vest on, I figure it's a good idea to have some extra juice, hence the slightly larger size.

• 2 weeks later...

[For a good tutorial on batteries, go here... http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_battery.html

I think I've found the one I'm going to order... It's a DEKA ETX14

http://www.batteryplex.com/motorcycles-det...series-list.cfm

Since I sometimes run around with a heated vest on, I figure it's a good idea to have some extra juice, hence the slightly larger size.

Hey, you can get a 14AH battery into the XX? That's a nice upgrade. I may do the same thing. Would make it easier when I add a widder or hand grip heaters.

Mike

I replace mine every year. But I run radar detector, gps, cell phone, Autocom, and 2 heat trollers and 2 sets (mine and GF's) of Gerbings heated gear so the battery/charging system takes alot of abuse. I also average around 18000 miles a year. I could probably eek a little more time out of them but I'd rather err on the side of caution. Dead batteries suck. Specially in the middle of nowhere.

The good point of higher capacity battery is that you wouldn't be fighting the battery for power from the R/R. The battery wouldn't be drained as quickly with startup or extra toys at or near idle.

I'd be interested if a higher capacity battery would be harder on the R/R to keep it charged.

I changed my after 5 years, and is soon to be changed again on the -97

But I haven’t changed any bulbs yet..

2 parts have broken down in 10 years.

The RR and the petcock diaphragm.

I'd be interested if a higher capacity battery would be harder on the R/R to keep it charged.

I put in one of the 14AH batteries when my stator and R/R fried about two years ago; so far,

all seems to be well. Only time will tell, of course. I don't think it would be harder on the

charging system, as long as the current draw for charging isn't higher than the 12AH unit, it

would just take a little longer to bring it to full charge. I keep mine on a battery tender

whenever it isn't on the road, so the battery never gets very far down, just the amount to

start it, and the charging system seems to be able to recover that amount of drain pretty

quickly.

The good point of higher capacity battery is that you wouldn't be fighting the battery for power from the R/R. The battery wouldn't be drained as quickly with startup or extra toys at or near idle.

More battery wouldn't hurt your stator just because it's bigger...

What hurts your stator is overdraw, basically continually drawing more juice from your battery and charging system than what it was designed for.

So... the bigger battery will help those of you that have high load draws for short periods of time.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW, I feel real lucky then, I have a 97XX with 32,100 :icon_clap: on it and have not even touched the factor battery one time. But after reading this thread I'll order a new one for Spring just to be safe.

Where's a good place to buy one, & how much? anybody.