CBR1100XX.org Forum

Time to get moving on the spring order

SwampNut

What weight spring?  

18 members have voted

1. 1.

• 16.65 (middle ground)

Try a European car dealership (Jag or Porsche) for mounting the springs. I used to work on Jags and they run coil-over shocks about the same dia. of a bike shock. We used to have a special fixture for the hydraulic press that would compress the spring and slowly let the pressure off. Worked like a charm. Just my .02

Cheap ass spring compressor.

Get some stainless hose clamps. (might need three for the new 16.8 spring) Loop the clamps between the shock and the outside of the spring.(Get big enough clamps to compress 3 or 4 coils)Space the clamps evenly around the spring/shock combo. Evenly tighten up the clamps until the spring compresses enough for you to pull the keepers out.

Reverse the procedure to install the new spring. (put the clamps on the spring first, drop the spring on the shock, then compress the spring until you can slip the keepers in place.

I would clamp the lower mounting bracket of the shock in a vise, and make sure the business end with the retainers is pointed straight up (never pointed at you or anyone else)....

Throw the clamps away when you are done.

I used a shop press to do mine.

Just slid some 1/4" plates under one of the coils, and pressed on the top of the shock with a piece of wood inbetween.

Doesn't need to compress much to remove the collars.

There's not a chance in hell I'm trusting hose clamps on this. I saw the effort they needed to change the last one.

On the spring, we have one more small delay. It is slightly conical, and that apparently is an issue. It might be that it won't need to be conical, but I need some measurements. Does anyone have a 900 shock without a spring on it?

BTW...the spring guy had a few regional championship trophies for motocross in his office. From the mid-70's. He was also a flat-tracker and drove the dirt oval. Lots of cool pics. He seemed real interested in our project, said it reminds him of shit they used to have to do to get a bike in race-capable condition.

Ok, I fucked around on this too long! I'm going over to the spring place right now. When I get back I'll post cost and collect payments. I have to prepay the order in full, so I'll ask that everyone that wants one do that also. I'll account for all the costs as soon as I have them.

Carlos,

Count me in for a 16.8 Kg!

Let me know how much, payment plans, where to send it!

thanks

take care

I will not be needing the shock anymore

Please cancel my order

Rick

Rick

Oval tabs?? Must be something hidden until you remove the spring? The dimension I need is the diameter of the spring perch at the bottom of the shock, which is kind of gold metallic colored. It comes off when the spring is removed.

This part:

shock.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a shock already (MAE-003x) and was wondering if any of you know of any recommended "default" settings for the damping and preload I should use as a baseline, before I begin tweaking?

Thanks in advance,

Bob