CBR1100XX.org Forum

Polished Rim Edges

beondwacko

Who's got the best method of doing this?

Types of masking tape , which strippers ?

Also, how much polishing effort is required after the stripper has been removed to get a decent result? I don't mean like chrome, but a good sheen.

I am concerned with the stripper getting under the masking tape(or disolving the edge of the tape for that matter ) and ruining the clean/sharp edge transition from bare metal to painted surface. I have seen a few bikes up close where this looks like this has happened.

Input? Pics? Warnings?

Aircraft stripper from Avanced Auto(I think). I didn't use tape all so I guess you wouldn't like mine. It is a lot of work.

Warnings?

It's a lot of work.

And the machined finish under all that paint is really brilliant.

I didn't polish mine at all. Just a light coat of clear paint to keep them from oxidizing.

I did this to my bike and a couple others.. I can do a set of rims in about an hour if the wheels are off the bike.

I used a metal stripper from Walmart. Some serious strong stuff :icon_eek: I accidently got some on the top of my hand and holy shit I thought my whole hand was on fire.. I was wearing latex gloves and somehow got it on my still...

Mask off what you don't want taken off... paint it on your wheels and let sit for about 2 - 3 minutes and using a high pressure nozzle on your garden hose and blast it all off...

example

post-1152-1144333368_thumb.jpg

First set I did just the lip only. The little 1/2 inch that connects to the tire.

Second set...I did right up to the line in the rim. It was about half of the flat part of the trim.

Isn't the inner part of the rim sort of textured ?

best pic i got right now of a closeup here at work.. My rotor carriers are also gun metal gray now. :icon_cool:

That's the effect I was looking to achieve. Strip the machined surface, and leave the textured surface alone. But by doing that, whatever I use to mask the center portion of the wheel where it's textured, I'm worried that the stripper will bleed under the tape. Know what I mean?

So if you remove some extra paint, touch it up by masking and spot painting. It's no big deal.

I used a stripper that was in a gel state and I applied it with a very smal stiff bursh right up the lip.

With patience, it's really easy to make a perfect line.

I did the very edge of mine, where the tire irons ride. :icon_rolleyes: I got sick of touching up the black paint and I also thought there was too much black there.

with the wheel off and no tire I just used sandpaper and then a scotchbrite pad.

Gives it a nice silver band around each rim.

I can do a set of rims in about an hour if the wheels are off the bike.

I guess that I was using the wrong stuff because I put alot more work into it. It seemed that after the black paint, there was a white coating of something that was really hard to get off fully. After I got it off, I didn't think it was shinny enough (unlike you guys) and did much polishing.

I masked them off and pressed firmly on the tape to make sure no stripper bleed through. The stripper I used was a orange color and really jelly like. Found it in the paint section at Walmart in a qt squared shape can.

using a pretty stuff paint brush I applied a heavy layer of it on there, and let it do its thing for a couple minutes. You will see it bubble right up. If a spot isn't bubbleing I would brush away the remover and apply new. This whole process takes only minutes.. so work fast.. Yes the white coat under it is alittle stubborn..

I did my buddies suzuki's in about an hour and they were easier than mine.. Plus had an even better shine than the Honda rims. I traded him a wheel polish job for him pulling and cleaning some carbs for another one of my bikes..

I had his wheels done before he had the carbs out of the bike :icon_twisted:

Work fast and wear gloves and safety glasses, the shit I used is nothing to play with.. :icon_eek:

Work fast and wear gloves and safety glasses, the shit I used is nothing to play with.. :icon_eek:

Yeah what he said. :icon_flame: Methylene Chloride is some bad shit. Most paint strippers contain Methylene Chloride as the main ingredient.

From OSHA:

Employees exposed to methylene chloride are at increased risk of developing cancer, adverse effects on the heart, central nervous system and liver, and skin or eye irritation. Exposure may occur through inhalation, by absorption through the skin, or through contact with the skin. Methylene chloride is a solvent which is used in many different types of work activities, such as paint stripping, polyurethane foam manufacturing, cleaning, and degreasing.

Don't breath the fumes! If you work with it in a closed garage use a respirator. Can you tell, I'm a safety officer for our company....

I did mine with Aircraft stripper. Got it from the local flooring store.. used metal tape to make a nice clean line..

I did mine last year and they are oxidized as shit now.. I tried polishing them with my drill and the compound but can't get the deep pits out.. Can I sand them ?> or scotch bright them ?

I don't want to leave any deep grooves, but SHIT this pitting is killing me...

And it is annoying the fuck out of Dave which is the only reason I haven't cleaned them yet

When I do go about striping the wheels, at least I have one thing going for me. I don't think that being down here in FLa is nearly as corrosive an enviroment as where I was up in NY. The bike used to be stored in a small barn, now it's garaged.

Honestly speaking, I think the hardest part of doing this for me is just pulling the wheels off! When I do get around to it, I'll use the metallic tape to get a nice sharp line, and being that the tires will still most likely be on the rims, I'll mask them off as well. I think the reservations of pulling the wheels off are mostly to do with the front wheel. With the centerstand down, the rear is a snap. The front end I'll have to prop up.

All I wanted to get out of this is a clean aluminum stripe with the factory machining intact. I'll have to set a day aside sometime and just do it already.

"When I do go about striping the wheels, at least I have one thing going for me. I don't think that being down here in FLa is nearly as corrosive an enviroment as where I was up in NY. The bike used to be stored in a small barn, now it's garaged."

A Ziebart chart shows the Florida coastline as high a corrosion zone as the Great Lakes because of the salt air. Clearcoat your finished product

"When I do go about striping the wheels, at least I have one thing going for me. I don't think that being down here in FLa is nearly as corrosive an enviroment as where I was up in NY. The bike used to be stored in a small barn, now it's garaged."

A Ziebart chart shows the Florida coastline as high a corrosion zone as the Great Lakes because of the salt air. Clearcoat your finished product

I'm about 8 miles inland from the coast. The Corvette wheels I have on my truck have no clearcoat on them, and they are holding up pretty well. I polish all the bare metal on the bike about 4 times a year on avarage with Mothers Billet polish. Stuff works great.

I don't know what I did wrong then, used aircraft stripper, applied it about 20 times. Got most of the powdercoat? off the wheel, but it's embedded in the textured part a little still. Now masking the rim and gonna blast the bastage on the textured part with media, then paint black again. Really starting to regret starting that project. I did take the tire off too, and have cleaned it all up purty.

Johnny

I don't know what I did wrong then, used aircraft stripper, applied it about 20 times. Got most of the powdercoat? off the wheel, but it's embedded in the textured part a little still. Now masking the rim and gonna blast the bastage on the textured part with media, then paint black again. Really starting to regret starting that project. I did take the tire off too, and have cleaned it all up purty.

Johnny

A small tooth brush like scrub brush prob' would have helped you. Scrub in the direction of the machining grooves. That's what I had to do with my Vette' wheels when I stripped them.

I did my 97 it was a lot of work but well worth it the end result was great.I'd it again will be alot easyier because I have a Lift that I bought from Harbor Frieght that is worth is weight in Gold as far as I use use a gel striper from HomeDepot because i work there it made by KleenStrip KS-3Preimium Striper and masking tape cheap 1" paint brush and small Wire Brushes then your sand paper started off with 400 grit wet sand ended up with like 1000 to 1500 final it came out sharp love the look so mush I will do it to the 03 and it will not be as hard with the lift push it on to it and jack it up to perfect hight. But alot or work to maintain prob should clear coat it after. I didn't. just a thought.

• 3 months later...

I just did mine. I used this:

http://www.bondo.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=318

Stripped the entire wheels, will repaint the centers.

Front wheel. sprayed it, started wrinkling in 60 seconds. I gave it about 5 or 10 minutes then hit it with the pressure washer, came 100% clean, with a bright shine on the machined lip of the wheels. Spokes and center of the wheel are the textured aluminum and a darker grey but still immaculate.

Rear wheel, sprayed it, same wrinkling, hit it with the pressure washer and it left a bunch of paint/powdercoat behind, especially in the textured area. Even on the lip, there was about 10% left behind.

Gave it a second shot with the stripper and hit it with a scotchpad sponge and some gloves. This got the rims/dish area 100% clean, but it was nowhere near as shiny as the front wheel. Much greyer, duller aluminum. So my rear wheel was like what blackhawkXX descibed, duller requiring polishing for a shime, where the front was what most of you encountered, shiny as hell right after stripping it.

The two wheels were night and day as far as what they looked like under the paint and how hard the paint was to get off.

Anyway, I have both the wheels polished up to a good shine now, while I wait on my tires. It's nice, becuase instead of rushing it, I've been going out to the garage every night for an hour or so and hitting them with polishing compound, no rush. I'm expecting the tires Friday, so Thursday morning I am going to mask and repaint the center sections, then clear the whole wheel with rattle can clear.

Maybe when I have more $$ over the winter, I'll pull the wheels, restrip/repolish/repaint and have them clear powdercoated.