CBR1100XX.org Forum

XX Mod of the Decade!

Warchild

Allllllllllrighty, then..... time to reveal Warchild's latest XX upgrade!

Most of the hard-core XX Faithful will admit that just about the only weakness the Blackbird has that can't be overcome by the aftermarket is the front suspension. It is generally acknowledged that the Blackbird's stock suspension is found wanting; the primary complaints are that the bike is too softly sprung, and, in the case of the front, significantly overdamped. The lack of any external adjustment capability on the forks seems particularly glaring.

Folks have tried a number of approaches over the years to address the XX forks - different springs, different combination of fork oil weights, different pre-load spacer lengths, different air-gap heights, etc. While these measures can help to some degree, still, for those demanding the best from their front end, it usually means a very expensive custom re-valve exercise (where the forks may have to go back and forth to the tuner a couple times to get them "just right"). Alternatively, you could consider bolting on RC-51 forks, but then have to deal with the brake conversions, etc. Otherwise, you could look at bolting on seriously expensive Ohlins Superbike forks, etc.

Until now!

Traxxion Dynamics has created a full-blown internal cartrige kit that can now be fitted to most modern forks! The "AK-20 Cartridge Kit" has been available for about a year now. To the best of my knowledge, my Night Train is the very first Blackbird in the country to have one of these AK-20 Cartridge Kits installed. The results are just unbelieveable... I can not begin to describe what an incredible ride the new fork internals afford. The Blackbird rides like a completely different bike, and that is no shit.

Here are the forks to my beloved Night Train in early March....

IPB Image

And here is the right leg upon their return! Since the forks were going to be *completely* torn down for the cartridge install, I elected to have the fork lowers powder-coated a nice matte-black finish. As you can see, Traxxion did an outstanding job powdercoating the fork lower:

IPB Image

One of the options (that you DEFINITELY want to get) when installing this kit is to obtain the custom fork tower which houses the two external adjustments for pre-load and rebound:

IPB Image

Bitchin' fork leg lowers, eh?

IPB Image

IPB Image

Below is a photo of the full Traxxion Dynamic AK-20 Cartridge Kit. It replaces everything inside your stock XX forks... you will re-use the original outer slider and the fork lower only :

IPB Image

You can read about it here: http://www.traxxion.com/cruisers/sport_touring_home.htm

Um, yeah.... anyone for a Group Buy? :icon_twisted::icon_twisted::icon_twisted:

Come on Dale. I mean the title is XX Mod of the DECADE and you have your blingy rotors and pimped out brake lines to go along with the sweet ass fork mod that includes something that should have been factory done...black fork legs. You could have at least broken tradition this once and hosed the damn wheel off. :icon_stickpoke:

Otherwise very nice setup.

:icon_duh: Here I go again!!!! Nicely done, WC!!

A little while back, Mike told me about this little venture, so I've been itching to hear about its fruition. So, how would the GB work, what are the prices and options, can we get the fork innards back, can we have Traxxion throw a rear shock (maybe a Penske) into the GB as another option, and most importantly for me, what is the time frame? I'm assuming this would involve Traxxion calculating everything from spring rates to compression and rebound damping ranges per the weight and riding style info we give them.

As you know, I jumped on the last Wilbers GB (front and rear) for my FJR. I have the rear shock in and will put the forks back together with the new springs and install them today. The Traxxion adjusters look very similar, and after having both the '97 XX's and FJR's forks apart, it's pretty obvious that something like this had to be done to catch up with what is out there on other even more tour oriented sport touring models in nothing more than OEM configuration. I'll be putting the front end back on my '97 XX in the next day or so (to accommodate its sale), and in the next couple weeks will be hard at work farkling the '03 XX.

Lastly, if a GB is set up, is there any chance of reaching critical mass by an early date and then being able to pay and send in one's forks ASAP to get this mod done and back on the bike. (I have not only the TBME meet on my mind as a deadline, but an even earlier residential move to deal with, so I'm spending MUCH time in garage trying to get all my shit done in time that I won't be moving partially assembled bikes.)

So, unless there's some real problem for me, I'm a big YES to a GB -- the earlier the better. (By now, you know I'm one of the rats following your Pied Piper GB flute playing -- straight to the poor house on the outskirts of town! I'd block your posts if I thought there was any chance of me not opening them anyway once I read the title. So, for now, I'm just trying to do all of them to remove further temptation.)

:icon_drool::icon_drool::icon_drool::icon_drool::icon_drool:

Would this have to be something where the forks were sent in? Looks like a "drop and go" type thing (yes I realize that is over simpifying it).

Kinley

One thing's for sure: if it were a "drop and go" type thing, it might be a LOT easier for me, due to my timing issues. You'd need a special socket to access the 6mm hex bolt holding the cartridge into the lower if you're going to torque it correctly (you can reach it with an allen wrench, but the hex part of most hex sockets are too short, and there's no room to get the socket body up into that hole). You'd also probably need a solidly mounted vise with a round grip. I can't imagine that much else (at least, if accompanied by a decent instruction sheet) would be required. Now, IF you've got more than a few thousand miles on the bike and should, therefore, install new fork seals, then I'd be sending it in or having someone competent around here do it.

Would this have to be something where the forks were sent in? Looks like a "drop and go" type thing (yes I realize that is over simpifying it).

Kinley

If you install the kits yourself, then obviously your forks don't have to go anywhere. Otherwise, you'll need to ship them off to Traxxion to do the job. For this Group Buy, here's the four options being looked at now:

Kit Only:

1. AK-20 kit with no external preload or rebound: $900 shipped to your door. Normal retail is $1000 + shipping for this kit.

2. AK-20 with external preload and rebound caps: $1000 shipped to your door. Normal retail on this is $1150 + shipping.

The above two options means you install the kit, which doesn't appear to be a difficult exercise. There are some detailed step-by-step instructions on the Traxxion web site. But for those who would rather let Traxxion do the install....

Installation options:

1: Send in forks and have Traxxion do the install and return forks: additional $150 (shipping is included in the cost of the parts)

2: Send in forks and have Traxxion do the install and powder-coat the lowers black for an additional $250 (shipping is included in the cost of the parts)

Dayam you DALE!!!!!!!!!!

I want a piece of this BUT it is 'spensive. Anyway to "Dave" em down farther on pricing? Also for logistics for people sending in forks (that actually makes more sense not having to f' with it) could we do appointments? IE I send my forks in like the third week of May, allows for lesser backlog on their end and more time for cash on mine?

Just asking cause DADDY likes!!!!!

Thank you

Kinley

Dayam you DALE!!!!!!!!!!

I want a piece of this BUT it is 'spensive. Anyway to "Dave" em down farther on pricing? Also for logistics for people sending in forks (that actually makes more sense not having to f' with it) could we do appointments? IE I send my forks in like the third week of May, allows for lesser backlog on their end and more time for cash on mine?

Thank you

Kinley

Just say it bro....JEW EM' DOWN !!!!

Dayam you DALE!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you

Kinley

Just say it bro....JEW EM' DOWN !!!!

LMAO

NBL DAVE and that was exactly it!!!!!!!!!!

Kinley

Well,I got those for my track bike,04 r1 well over a year ago,they were running promotion back then,and first couple hundered of people who called in where put on the list.

To make this story short,couple of weeks later and 750 $ I received complite kit with springs,AK 20,fork oil and some tools.They offered free install back then but I declined that.

Oh yea I got matching traxxion valved penske from them too.

The front kit is golden.After some very minor dialing in ( ride height,clik here or there and adjusters) I did not touch the damn thing for the rest of the season. It simply just plain works.

The rear was another story as R1 suffers from the lock of slipper clutch and braking and turn in is handfull on less the brand new rear tire.

You can try to combat this by softening rebound on the shock but you pay the price at corner exits with those erratic-Whoo-whoo-whoo- slides.

Also the range of compression adjustement is rather limit,but still excellent.

Make sure You tell them it is for road bike,Traxxion track valving is much stiffer then,lets say Race Tech,

also Traxxion springs are stiffer .Traxxion 0.95 spring is more like 1.0 spring from race Tech.

One more thing,dude you got me tempted,I now how good ak 20 is,is there anyway matching penske shock could be worked in into this deal.Penske from Traxxion is golden.

:icon_clap: :icon_clap: :icon_clap: :icon_clap:

Very nice......but sadly prolly outta my price range. :icon_frown:

One can always dream..........sigh...................... :icon_wink:

This sucks. I have not put much money into the bird. I have let levers, wheels and roters go by, but this one is going to hard. If we could get a little more off I would be in with out a doubt. That would only be the front though. The rear is to new to scrap and I've road much worse OEM shocks.

Are you still running the SuperBrace with the new fork mods Dale?

In fact, no, I am not.

Wth stock forks, the Superbrace, IMO, did make a noteworthy improvement in front end feel and in your ability to hold a line during high-speed sweepers.

However, with my testing this past few days, the Traxxion cartridges have made such a vast improvement in the forks, I almost can't tell the Superbrace is even on the bike. So I removed it for now.

Re: Group Buy for these Traxxion units

I'm working on this. If we could get a minimum of 10 dudes, the price could drop another $40-ish from each of the options. Obtaining one of these AK-20 kits for $860 - delivered - is a killer score!