CBR1100XX.org Forum

Dammit! Valves out of Spec.

Involute

Well, I chickened out of doing the work myself and had someone look at my valves for me. I took it to an Engine Builder for one of the local Hot Shot Racers that was recommended to me. I don’t have specifics yet but he said the valve clearances were out of Spec.

Since he was in there I had him adjust all of them to the high end of the Spec so I can get another 45K before I have them checked again. That is unless I hear they were dangerously tight, in which case I’ll have them checked sooner.

I was hoping for a clean bill of health. I’m a little disappointed.

Guest rockmeupto125

If I ever had anyone adjust my valves for me, I'd request to know what the measurements before and after were. Which is probably why I wouldn't in the foreseeable future let anyone do it.

I've found too many folks that seem to feel a valve check is a license to extract money from the customer. One of the rationales offered was with the cost of just checking valves, people are much less upset about spending the money if they actually needed some of them adjusted. Either way, a valve check is an open opportunity to score money from somebody.

Sorry to hear that yours were in need of adjustment. But now you're the member of an elite, very limited group!

I took it to an Engine Builder for one of the local Hot Shot Racers that was recommended to me. I don't have specifics yet but he said the valve clearances were out of Spec.

Since he was in there I had him adjust all of them to the high end of the Spec so I can get another 45K before I have them checked again.

Yer such a tool :icon_shhh:

Nexxt time bring da bird to me for your "adjustment" :icon_slap:

Betcha I screw ya for less money :icon_liar:

:icon_wink:

Well, I chickened out of doing the work myself

What're you afraid of, ya pussy? :icon_razz:

53623448.jpg

Chris' were out a bit at lower milage, J's were out too, had a few out on mine at 41k.

Yep, elite company :icon_razz::icon_lol:

Let me know what it ends up costing, if you don't mind. I'm curious what I saved doing it myself, as it did turn out to be kind of a PITA.

Fuck you Will. You couldn't even change your damn Brake Pads in Reno :icon_fingers: You got a Grudge Fuck heading your way now.

Tim, I was quoted $90 to inspect and $150 if the Cams needed to come out. That is not a Dealer though. I don't know the guy thats actually doing the work but he has a good reputation with some of the local Racers and Track guys. We'll see if the Bill stays the same when I go to pick it up. Based upon a few comments I heard I don't think he was planning on it being the PITA it was as he's never done an XX before. Hopefully he'll stick to his original quote.

I'm supposed to get info on what was out and by how much when I pick up the bike. I was told that he adjusted all the clearances to the high limit. Granted, I'm going on faith here.

I'm also paying $90 to get it jetted. I'm planning on a $250 or so Bill. Assuming he's good (and honest) I think it's worth it.

BTW, I have right at 44k on the bike now.

Can post more info as I get it if you folks are interested. I'll probably pick up the bike and pay the Piper this weekend.

Pussy -> Scot

\ I was quoted $90 to inspect and $150 if the Cams needed to come out. That is not a Dealer though.

Shit the local stealer near me wanted about $400 to look and adjust as needed. No price for just a measurement. Pay for it all whether it needs an adjustment or not. :icon_doh:

Tim; someone stole your cams....

Tim, I was quoted $90 to inspect and $150 if the Cams needed to come out.

Even if that goes up a bit, excellent deal. Having done it now, I'd jump on that if I trusted the mechanic.

Tim; someone stole your cams....

Fucking Mexicans..... :icon_wink:

Yes that is a great price.

I am with you guys, I hate taking my bike to any shop. At the end of last summer I wanted to get my Interceptor's valves adjusted quick. I went to a shop I trusted (Gervasi's) and ended up paying $371. On that bike you don't have to pull the cams as it screw adjusters. Oh well, the cams are in great condition and now the valves are adjusted. Now I need to finish cleaning the carbs. Oh, yeah, they quoted $750 to clean the carbs. I think I could just about buy a new set for that price! :icon_evil:

Since he was in there I had him adjust all of them to the high end of the Spec so I can get another 45K before I have them checked again.

I am questioning that part. So few have needed ANY adjustment that we haven't established if the "norm" is getting tighter or looser with time.

I agree with Joe, it's too easy to give them your bike, they lean it in the corner of the shop for a week and charge you $400.

There's just no way to know what actually happened.

IF I had a shop do it I'd want to be there for the whole procedure.

So why at 65k are mine still perfect?

Guest rockmeupto125

On a bucket/shim system like the XX's, normal wear should produce only a tighter clearance. Looser means you are losing metal from someplace that you don't want to hear about....like the cam lobe. Once that hardening wears through, the base metal ain't long for this world. While its disconcerting to think of your valves and seats wearing, THAT is normal engine wear.

Fuck you Will. You couldn't even change your damn Brake Pads in Reno :icon_fingers: You got a Grudge Fuck heading your way now.

I didn't say I knew how to adjust them just that I'd look at them and charge you for it. :icon_wink:

Grudge fuck, any fuck is good by me.......... :icon_pray:

• 2 weeks later...

Being a noobie XX owner, I'm curious what others are getting by way of clearances. My bike is at 22,000 kms (13665 miles) and the Haynes manuals says to check them in another 2000 kms. I'm wondering if I should even bother.

Tim

Being a noobie XX owner, I'm curious what others are getting by way of clearances. My bike is at 22,000 kms (13665 miles) and the Haynes manuals says to check them in another 2000 kms. I'm wondering if I should even bother.

Tim

My vote would be "no". I'll worry about mine every 30-40K miles from here on in.

When I worked for Moto Sports Honda south of Atlanta, the service manager had his '01 XX checked @ 32K miles just for saftey, etc. This guy dogged the crap out of it all the time riding wheelies, listening to the Mig High mount pipes at 130+ mph et al.

Guess what? Valves all in spec.

I run synthetic oil and coolant so I hope I don't to worry about mine untill about 50K miles. At 32K now. :icon_clap: :icon_clap:

• 2 months later...

:icon_angel: Good to hear guy's so 45,000kph if I still have the bb I'll worry about them, so far only

15,000kph (2003) ZX10 was done at 70,000kph and gained 15% more power but one rattled which really anoyed me, I could'nt trust the stealer so left it as it was, sold now, still miss her though.

Hey you guy's really get into the nitty gritty dont you, guess you love the XXBB, best bike I ever had. :icon_biggrin:

The best yet 2003 :icon_biggrin:

post-2227-1149950837_thumb.jpg

Ya, I'd like to know how far "out of spec" they were before and after too. The gentlemen I bought my VFR from had them done at 35,000 and the shop wrote down the before and after specs for all four, which put my mind at ease. Only 1 of them was out, and it was barely, barely out. Whats the largest amount someone has had their valves be out? I can't remember anything having a valve be way out of spec...

On a bucket/shim system like the XX's, normal wear should produce only a tighter clearance. Looser means you are losing metal from someplace that you don't want to hear about....like the cam lobe. Once that hardening wears through, the base metal ain't long for this world. While its disconcerting to think of your valves and seats wearing, THAT is normal engine wear.

well i'm lost, if a shim wears the valve doesn't open as far as it should and you get noise as the cam lobe slaps the shim due to the larger gap, can someone explain what "tighter means"