CBR1100XX.org Forum

Mismatched Tires

Bullet

I don't know, but I am giong to find out. I just had an Avon 45 ST mounted on the front yesterday and I am running a Dunlop 220 on the rear. I don't know if the Avon is stickier than the Dunlop 205 I had on the front yet. I know it's not cupped like the 205. I guess when the Avon is scrubbed (this weekend) I'll know more. From everyone I've talked to, It is better to have a grippier tire on the front.

A friend of mine with a VFR had a D220 on the front and the original D204? on the rear. When it came time for a rear the dealer didn't have a D220 but told him to go ahead and get a D208. Said it didn't matter how you mixed and matched tires. I disagree because you don't want the front to have a harder tire and be sliding before the rear do you? Sometimes ya gotta wonder how smart these dealers really are.

On the track, I run an Metzeler RS1 Rennsport on the front and RS2 on the back. The RS1 rear is so soft, it is only good for a day or so at the track. By going with the 2, I am giving up a little softness, thus wear, which works great with the sticky 1 up front. A number of track guys run a stickier tire up front, you just have to ride knowing the rear will slide before the front.

MaXX

i have a bt057 up front and a bt020 in the back.

have run a bt010 up front and a bt020 in the back.

don't ask why :oops:

but no true handling problems dependent on the tires.

i'm just counting the days until i can get into a pair of roads or avons :shock:

A friend of mine with a VFR had a D220 on the front and the original D204? on the rear. When it came time for a rear the dealer didn't have a D220 but told him to go ahead and get a D208. Said it didn't matter how you mixed and matched tires. I disagree because you don't want the front to have a harder tire and be sliding before the rear do you? Sometimes ya gotta wonder how smart these dealers really are.

I got the same advice from a dealer and it almost killed me. I don't mix tires anymore.

Hugo

On the track, I run an Metzeler RS1 Rennsport on the front and RS2 on the back. The RS1 rear is so soft, it is only good for a day or so at the track. By going with the 2, I am giving up a little softness, thus wear, which works great with the sticky 1 up front. A number of track guys run a stickier tire up front, you just have to ride knowing the rear will slide before the front.

MaXX

exactly what I run on th F2... now I don't think I would do the same on my bird though, lots more variables on the street.

way

They're both Michelin's and you want a stickier tire up front.

Just curious to see if anyone has seen an advantage. I think I'm going to go with a new sport in the front just form the mental aspect. :wink:

I don't know if the Avon is stickier than the Dunlop 205

:shock: That's like saying "I don't know if the XX is any faster than the Rebel 250 I used to have..."

Tire mismatches most often will show up as wobbles or headshake. If you're lucky, they won't be so severe as to make you crash. They are somewhat rare, but do happen (ask Hugo).

My experience with mismatched tires.

Avon 45 in front and Michelin 90x in the rear while at the Hoot and Gap. Wore the tires edge to edge with no problems.

Now have 45/46 combo...me like! :grin:

So.... No one here would se a prob. with a 205 in the back and a Pilot Sport/Road in front???

I need to get that front 205 off the bike PRONTO! After 20,000km IT IS DEAD! (still a good 4000k of possible wear.. but the front feels like crap any time I get serious)

Rode the bird with the Avon 45ST on the front this weekend. :-o I can't believe the difference. Before, the bike had a tendency to fall into turns quickly and feel like it was barely holding on. The Avon has a more progressive feel than before. These things grip!!! Can't wait for the Dunlop to wear out on back to get a 46 out back. I might have to practice my burnouts a little more. :grin:

No one here would se a prob. with a 205 in the back and a Pilot Sport/Road in front???

Right up until you get a tankslapper, no problem at all.

The summary is this: In some cases mismatched tires have been proven to cause wobbles and in more extreme cases, full-on tankslappers. I don't know what the stats are, but while relatively rare, I know of a few of them.

Thanks Carlos.

I'm just pissed that I'd have to kill that back as it only has 5000 miles on it. It is a 205 after all....

I don't what to go D207 or 208.. I want my Pilots.... (I feel like a cry baby)... Soooooooooooooo I'm fucked unless I mismatch from the same manufacturer (generaly speaking).

Ho well... I might keep the front a bit longer then and wear out that back on my next long trip to nowhere.

If it can save someone's ass:

BTW, BT010 rear, BT 57 front. I did not want to part with the front because there was plenty of wear left. Plus the dealer had told me the profile was compatible...

Bumpy CA freeway, straight line, 120 mph, 6th gear, I open wide and the front unloads a bit. Soon after that I am getting the tankslapper of the year (scared me shitless, REALLY). At the moment I thought I had lost it for good, shifting weight forward, cutting the throttle and having a three finger grip seemed to do the trick (or pure luck, if you ask me).

Sure, you can mix tires. I won't. Dunno why :grin:

BTW, the tire combo I was running was the one of the dumbest you can run (IMO). We can argue all day about it being safe/unsafe but the fact it that it has not been tested, so bear that in mind.

Hugo

I'm just pissed that I'd have to kill that back as it only has 5000 miles on it. It is a 205 after all...

I was pissed that I kept that piece of shit 205 on my bike until it wore out. It's such crap. And the 207/208 is NOT a compatible tire! Just because they're the same brand doesn't mean they work together. The Azaro line is one of the few where all the tires are interchangeable by design.

I have'nt checked out the other threads... but how much will a new set run you guys?

Generally speaking... whatever manufactuere/model..

I've gne out and priced front back in stock sizes in Michelin Pilots and Roads... installation included (with bike) was something around 490$ cnd (roughly 380 USD) Is that right? (Installation costs run around 30-40$ a tire)