CBR1100XX.org Forum

OIL FILTER

fasttraxx

So I decided it was time to change my oil filter, and instead of going to the Yamaha/Honda dealership and getting the factory oil filter, I opted to go to the Mom and Pop shop right down the street and purchased an aftermarket brand filter. After talking to a guy who apparently knows everything about bikes, I was told that was an incredibly stupid move on my part. He goes on to say how aftermarket filters commonly collapse causing major engine damage.

Is there any truth to this, or should I not worry too much and just ride?

Buy the Honda filter three or four at a time (their cheap) and change them every oil change. Other than tires that is the only service your Bird will require of you for years of a loving relationship.

At 17.00 dollars a pop, that's not exactly cheap, but hey, I'm no Lawyer either.

Guest rockmeupto125

What a load of shit.

I'm sure he's actually watched this phenoma occure on three separate occasions. :roll:

People are so full of shit and misinformation its pathetic.

After talking to a guy who apparently knows everything about bikes

His name didn't happen to be Johnny, did it?

I've been using Fram filters from Wal-Mart for the last 18k mile or so. Labeled as being for a CBR1100XX and cost ~$3.50 if memory serves. So far they seem to be resisiting the massive vacuum generated by the oil pump on this bike.

Yamaha: 3FV-13440-00

Perf-Form: J-503

Emgo: 10-82232

FRAM: PH6017A

K&N: KN-303

Purolator: ML16817

Yamaha shops will always have that filter, it is by far the most common oil filter for yamaha's and is IDENTICAL except the brand text, to the honda, even the writing on it is the same. Cheep too....

Yamaha: 3FV-13440-00

Perf-Form: J-503

Emgo: 10-82232

FRAM: PH6017A

K&N: KN-303

Purolator: ML16817

Yamaha shops will always have that filter, it is by far the most common oil filter for yamaha's and is IDENTICAL except the brand text, to the honda, even the writing on it is the same. Cheep too....

Hastings LF113. $1.37 my cost. :wink:

After talking to a guy who apparently knows everything about bikes

His name didn't happen to be Johnny, did it?

I've been using Fram filters from Wal-Mart for the last 18k mile or so. Labeled as being for a CBR1100XX and cost ~$3.50 if memory serves. So far they seem to be resisiting the massive vacuum generated by the oil pump on this bike.

I formely used fram but after the huge test I saw they were ranked very low. And I also remember a few racers having filter blow outs on the track with them. Just my opinion,so stop using them :)

I had the filter test info, if I find it I will post it, Fram was the worst tested pieces of the bonding glue that bond the paper to the ends were falling off like slag, some had issues with the blow off spring design, I'm using the OEM about $7 from Honda Direct Line.

At the start of the season this year, I bought 8 of the OEM filters from Ron Ayers... yea, I know.. it's not a substitute cheapie, but they were only $9 each, plus shipping. I throw more $ away on way more stupid shit than OEM oil filters, and the OEM ones fit my Honda oil filter cap wrench, too.

I know many people who use Fram. I used Fram also for many years. Never heard of anyone that I know that had any trouble from using that filter. I do use the Honda now but I wouldn't lose sleep if the Fram was on now.

well... NOW you do! I got Fram'd on my Nighthawk S... Trashed 2, $50 hydrolic valve adjusters and would've trashed 2 valves and 2 finger followers if I hadn't cought it... probably would've wollowed out the adjuster holes in the head too, causing me to have to replace the head...

Noticed there was a ticking that kept getting luoder over a couple thousand miles... So I took the valve cover off and lowe and behold, there were 2 finger followers that were loose to the valves... I took out those 2 hydrolic adjusters (BIG PITA BTW, because the cams have to come out, and you have to re-time the engine when you're done) and cleaned them in a butter container with kerosene... sure enough, I got a 0.075 - 0.100" piece of cardboard out of each of them... It was stopping the oil from getting past the check valve in the adjuster and causing the valve lash to get big because of no hydrolic pressure pushing up on the finger follower... I ended up just replacing the adjusters, even though both finger followers were slightly bent,but they weren't TOO bad, and I didn't want new ones to wear funny on the cams and tash the cams, so I just left the slightly bent ones in there... they still seem to be doing fine though...

Also, a friend of mine had a Fram filter explode on his Lumina and dump the oil while he was driving... guess who got the call to bring him a good filter and oil when he was out in BFE?

Needless to say, I don't use them any more!

Mike

Guest rockmeupto125
My last oil change...

oh... nevermind...

ROFL!

I also use the SuperTech ST6607. I don't use the Fram as there's just been too much documentation about them.

Thanks for the report, Mike.