CBR1100XX.org Forum

What tire NOW???

Pete in PA

Well the hype didn't pan out at least for me. The avon 46 on the rear has 3/32nds left at 2500 miles.

I've ran a couple of 020's on the rear and got about 5500 miles till bald. I never had a problem with their handleing just the fronts cupping.

Any mileage reports from Michelin? Roads, 100X ?

I need to make a decision soon. I like my next tire to be waiting in the basement to be mounted before I need it.

Help me out guys, Thanks, Pete

Pete, I just turned 4k on my set of Michelin HPX's this week. The rear is almost to the wear bar in the center, prolly another 500 miles and it's done. The front looks great, hardly any wear noticable. Probably typical bird tire wear....1 front for 2 rears. I've been happy with em except the price. Later, Sean.

May I suggest the Sportecs M1's.. I've got 3200 on them and will need to replace them in another 500-800..they stick awesome...so far the best I've tried...Haven't tried the Avons yet ,so dont know.

same thing apoll, 1 frnt and 2 rrs

if you run alot of twisties....might give it a shot for one time...they are also great in the rain!! I know all about the rain down here. I can say they are "tested" good.

Wayne

OK, I've run the BT56's that came on the bird (4,400 rear), two Sportec M1s (2,350 and 2,450 rear, respectively), the Avon 36 (3,200 rear), and I'm now on the Avon 46 (2,900 so far, probably another 1,000 or so).

I can say that the Sportecs were the smoothest tires I've run, and very sticky on both road and track. They also went off around the 2,000 mile mark for me. The Avons (45/46) have been just as sticky on the road as the Sportecs, and I'm expecting alomst twice the mileage out of them. Can't say what they'll handle like on the track yet, though...

Bryan...didn't think I was that hard on the throttle...

I have been running P-Sports on my bird for a while (3rd set actually)

I really like these tires, I have never had an issue as far as grip goes. I was up north last week and temp was in low 50's and I got a little spin coming out of the corner until they came up to temp. I also had the unfortunate experience of having to ride 400 miles in the rain and these tires simply kick-ass in the wet. I'm lucky to get about 4.5 - 5k out of the back and about 7-8 from the front. I don't mind giving up milage for stick. I bounce back and forth between the Bird and my 51 so sometimes I get on the bird and ride it like the 51 :twisted: . So grip is important for me.

I had a set just before the Avons.

Roads: smoother than the Avons

45/46: falls into a turn easier, I am going faster on the Avons.

Roads: Zero cupping at 2500 miles.

Finally MILEAGE

Avons will get about 25 percent more than the Roads

Conclusion: both tires are great :grin: :grin: Avons last longer and have a warrenty

The best high mileage tire ever is (or should I say was) the Michelin Macadems 100X's :wink: :wink: front no cupping, rear 10,000 miles. Of course they discontinued them :sad: :sad:

:shock:

What are you people doing to these tires?? What pressures? Are your roads made from discarded razor blades and sandpaper?

Admittedly, AZ tends to have pretty smooth roads. I run 37 front 39 rear (measured dead cold of course). I do lots of wheelies, no burnouts, and hard acceleration here and there. Out of corners I'm on the gas while still leaned, but let off as I get straightened up.

Are the 100x's deffinately discontinued? I've seen them and even 90X's in brand new catalogs yet.

10k miles out of the 100X? how do they handle? any cupping on front? Maybe I'll try this next. If I like a tire, that gaurentees it will be discontinued.

Pete, the only one's available I beleive are all the odd ball size's :sad: the 90's cupped, the 100's are the Improved version and no cupping, got over 12,000 out of the front with still more to go :shock: . How do they handle :?: , very good, certainly no track tire.

You may want to try all the M.O.'s maybe you will get lucky and find a set. If so grab a few sets :wink:

Harry

:shock:

What are you people doing to these tires?? What pressures? Are your roads made from discarded razor blades and sandpaper?

Well I'm running my D220's at 38/40 and have no cupping...no bitch strips....tire is blueing on the edges....but in the middle she is getting pretty thin.....hmmmmm, you think maybe the 60 shot of nitrous might have a something to do with that :shock: Fuggit...I'll burn this rear this weekend and get a new shoe next week :cool:

Sanch

Hi!

Have now the new Pirelli Diablo. After D207, BT011F/BT010R and Pilot Road. Didn`t like the 207. Bike seemed to have 50kg more. BT011/BT010 very sticky and good handling. Front and rear lasted 6000km. Pilot Road is good tire, very comfy, wet and dry grip is ok, but the rear was also shot at 6000km, front at 10000km.

But the Diablo is the best tire i ever had. Very sticky even when it's cold. Very good wet-grip and superb and easy handling. And after 3500km i think i can go at least the same distance again. So i think this tire rules!

Cheers from Austria :wink:

Hi XXers,

I still have my original Macadam 90Xs on my 2002. I just reached 12,000 km [7,450 miles]and there is lots of tread on both front and rears and no cupping. I know that everyone laughs at these tires for lack of grip- but I run 42 fr and rr, ride about 10-20 mph slower around corners than the Cody crazies [and try fruitlessly to catch them on the straights]. But- they do seem to last a long time and I tour faster than most [averaged 106 mph from Salt Lake to Reno].

I will want to replace these tires with ones that last as long and maybe stick a little bit better- especially on tar snakes]

TimXX

TimXX, unless you canfind a set of 100X's, which are stickier and more mileage and no cupping compared to the 90, you maybe S.O.L. :sad: High mileage is :

BTO-20, but the front cups :sad:

MEZ4's rear and sportec front, good combo :cool:

Pilot Roads, great tire :)

Avons AV 45/46, about 20 of us use them, need I say more :wink:

Harry

Have now the new Pirelli Diablo

Yo, have that one too. Have done 3500km on it so far and am expecting to do the same again. Have posted pics of these tires in a previous post to this group (search for Diablo).

What I like about these tires:

- have not developed handling disadvantages (no cupping front or flat rear)

- Very sure-footed over bad roads (undulations, gravel!)

- The best in the wet I've ridden ever

- extremely stable at any speed, straight line or corner

- Tyre not tacky, but rather has extremely high friction on the road. This has to do with the high silica content in the compound

On the road I run 36 front and 42 rear. July 19th is the first trackday on these and I'll start off with 35 front 38 rear.

Pirelli Diablo: My recommendation - if you can get hold of them!

6500 miles with 5/32nds left on the rear?!!! I've never ran ME Z4, has anyone else run them and gotten this mileage?

Haven't checked MO's yet for the 100X. Why did Michelin update a tire and make it worse IMHO? I see this too often.

6500 miles with 5/32nds left on the rear?!!!  I've never ran ME Z4, has anyone else run them and gotten this mileage?

Haven't checked MO's yet for the 100X.  Why did Michelin update a tire and make it worse IMHO?  I see this too often.

Here was my ME Z4 rear at 6,637 miles

Now with 7,584 miles, the tread depth in the middle is 4/32nds and the tire looks pretty much the same as it did when the photo was taken. My guess is that this sucker could make it close to 10,000 miles

20036307628087492747695.jpg

Just an FYI, I talked to Mac this weekend and he's got a set of ME Z4s that are about toast (well, the back anyway) at 3K. Of course, he rides like a bat out of hell, and used 'em for his Cody trip. Riding styles vary greatly, and your milage may vary.............

I just ordered 2 Pilot Roads from SW. $223 to my door, about $45 to mount and balance at the local dealer. I will pray for 6000 miles minimum from the rear. I'm going to keep a log this time to see exactly what the wear is like over time. Tonight I take the bike home and roast the rear and have the wife take a pic. Then she's (the bike) mothballed until no later than next Tuesday hopefully. It's going to suck not being able to ride this weekend.