CBR1100XX.org Forum

What tire NOW???

Pete in PA

Has anyone worn out the front Avon 45? I'm starting to think my new combo might be Avon 45 front, B'stone 020 rear. Unless I come up with something else I'll get a 020 for the rear. Still have some time.

I still think the tire co.s aren't giving us what they are capable of. They don't WANT the tires to last too long, they sell more! :evil:

Hi All,

About rear tire wear, the Michelin 100x was the best...13,000 miles. A 90x last only 11,000 miles. Both had an odd wear pattern...more tread on one side and down to the wear bars 180 degrees from the best part of the tire. I run 40 pounds of air front and rear.

Currently have the Avon 45/46 combo. Just installed the 46 on Monday. I plan on having an additional 10,000 miles on the bike before the season is over. I'll keep you posted.

Great Day!

John

Has anyone worn out the front Avon 45?  I'm starting to think my new combo might be Avon 45 front, B'stone 020 rear.  Unless I come up with something else I'll get a 020 for the rear. Still have some time.

I still think the tire co.s aren't giving us what they are capable of.  They don't WANT the tires to last too long, they sell more!  :evil:

I've been through one 45 (9k miles) and almost two 46s (I am switching the rear in 300-500 miles depending on the mood). Howard (XRDracer) and I were taking a look at the rear tire last week-end and what is amazing on the rear (which went through at least 1500-2000 miles of freeway - trip to AZ) is that it has no square wear (at 5.5 kmiles). From the 020s I've seen, square wear is common with them.

BTW I don't mix brands, I am overly conservative.

Hugo

I'm confused.
I am overly conservative

Maybe I'm not reading enough of the Hugo/Nik files...... :twisted:

LOL. Whereas Nik is quite liberal on how he picks his gear... :grin:

Hugo

Flipping form SuperSport tires to ho.. lets say 90x/100x macs will make a HUGE difference. I swapped a pair of completly shot Pilot Sports for 100x MACS.. and saw a difference right away. They are very stable on the highway... but are hard to flip from one side to another. They are very round tires when compared to the Pilots.

I'm changing my 205's for some Pilot Roads or Pilot Sports ASAP. The Dunlops are ok. Nothing bad to say about them. But they have already started to table at 4000km (2400miles). I keep them 40 psi on both front and rear.

Sorry... I actually added something initially to smile apon my "MAD" mask... I was actually all smiles :grin: :grin: :grin: when I wrote that!

Again.... :grin:

:bike:

MY REAR AVON 46 AT 3400 MILES IS SHOT.

I CALLED AVON AND THEY ARE REPLACING IT FREE.

HE TOLD ME THAT I SHOULD PROBABLY GET AT LEAST 8000 MILES OUT OF THE REAR. HE SAID THEIR IRON BUTT RIDER, THAT GUY IN THE 45/46 ADD ON THE ST4 DUCK, GOT 10,500 MILES OUT OF HIS TIRES.

• 2 weeks later...
HOW DO THE mez4'S STICK WHEN PUSHED PRETTY HARD IN CORNERING AND UNDER BRAKING AT DIFFERENT LEAN ANGLES????????

Don't know! There are no curves in Southeast Michigan.

Besides, I do a bunch of high speed straight line long distance riding and I care more about longevity than cornering grip.

However, this tire is OEM on a lot of BMW models and I've always understood that BMW riders like their twisties. :grin:

Friend of mine on a 02 Daytonna 955I :grin: , has the Sportec front and the Mez4 rear :cool: . He swears by this combo and both tires should wear out equally :cool: . He rode with me two days of Intense riding in W.V. and stuck even in the rain