CBR1100XX.org Forum

Brand new idea for the running hot problem? (need tech info)

Furbird

We all know about Water Wetter/Engine Ice/etc., and I will soon be the guinea pig for running 2 fans on the same radiator (fan came in Tuesday), but I've got a new one. Has anybody tried to run a different coolant temperature sensor? Also, does the fan run off of it directly, or is it controlled by the PCM or something else? If it's specifically sensor controlled, then it seems to me that you could put one out of another vehicle (preferably a car) where the fan comes on sooner. Does anybody know if this will work, or at least how the fan setup works on the Bird (FI models is what I'm specifying here)?

I have a supercharged Cougar that I put an adjustable fan controller on. It had a rheostat on it to adjust it. I installed a temp sensor into the radiator near the hot side inlet, and set the fan to come on shortly after the tstat opens. I also put a cooler temp tstat in it.

the bird sensor is a ground at temp setting.

another with lower setting that fits would work.

i have a switch which is conected to ground and the wire that goes to the sensor. start up and turn on the switch ,,,fan runs till i turn off the key. stays runnning when i turn off the motor with the on off switch on the bars right side.

answer to your question?

i am going to do the same thing,,,put two fans on let me know how it works

I'm not sure of the definition of running hot, but my bird boiled over with the fan on. This of course could've just been my shit luck though. :(

If my case was isolated, then that sounds like a good idea. Ill check the wiring diag to see if i can find what makes the final decision in the system.

I scored one for a ZX12 on ebay for $20 shipped. I also got one off a 600 (can't remember the manufacturer) for the same price, but that sucker is tiny. Probably going to put it on the tranny cooler on my van instead.

The reason I'm thinking that a cooler t-stat switch would work is because the temps would never get the chance to get past midway. Once they get that high (when our fan comes on stock) it's hard enough to maintain that temp, much less bring it down. If the temp stays below that, it will be easier to keep it down when stopped.

Another trick I thought about was adding a Dewalt drill battery under the rear seat and running a fan-only wire at 18 or more volts. That won't work on long trips, but for playing around town, it ought to keep the bike a lot cooler (if the motor can hold the voltage).

If your having a temp problem you might try exhaust header wrap to reduce heat in front of the engine, remove insulation in the fairing lowers, it holds heat, drill the stock exhaust, very restrictive, if it carbed run richer at idle, my 98 only goes to half and the fan holds it there, all I've done is drilled exhaust and jetting but the FI bikes get hotter, at least the one I rode.

I have an FI bike. Wrap is not recommended as water gets trapped under them and causes them to rust (been covered on the board before). I have a full D&D system, so there is no restriction issue. Finally, coating is out of the question because the price is astronomical compared to a fluid change, extra fan, or t-stat mod.

I have an FI bike. Wrap is not recommended as water gets trapped under them and causes them to rust (been covered on the board before). I have a full D&D system, so there is no restriction issue. Finally, coating is out of the question because the price is astronomical compared to a fluid change, extra fan, or t-stat mod.

Move to AZ we don't have water, we got lotza heat thou.

pic5.jpg

And it's a little dry.

I have an FI bike.  Wrap is not recommended as water gets trapped under them and causes them to rust (been covered on the board before).  I have a full D&D system, so there is no restriction issue.  Finally, coating is out of the question because the price is astronomical compared to a fluid change, extra fan, or t-stat mod.

Wrap them, never heard that before, never had that problem. Many guys with ZX12's wrap them. Mebby the stock exhaust will rust, My Muzzy has not, and Im guessing DandD wont either. It'll cost you 60 bucks. Its the best mod I have done to my 12. Keeps the heat off my legs and off the rad. :wink:

So when you say the bike is running hot, what temp is it at?

Mine sits at 100 degrees when the fan starts rattling, It does bring the temp down a little bit, but mainly holds it at that temp...

If I understand correctly, you shouldn't wrap the headers, the drill won't really do much either, a second fan won't bring the temp down, a special heavy duty fan will draw too much power, need a second battery, so then what's the deal??

Due to the hurricane, auxilliary fan installation has to be put off for a week. However, the ZX12 fan has enough mounts on it to use the through-the-radiator straps like electric fans for cars come with. It will also clear the front tire with no problems, plus there's room to manuever it around to get it centered. So technically, it fits. Now I just have to get the plastics off and do it. Pics will be forthcoming.

Due to the hurricane, auxilliary fan installation has to be put off for a week. However, the ZX12 fan has enough mounts on it to use the through-the-radiator straps like electric fans for cars come with. It will also clear the front tire with no problems, plus there's room to manuever it around to get it centered. So technically, it fits. Now I just have to get the plastics off and do it. Pics will be forthcoming.

I hope it works out for you..But didn't Honda reduce the overall size of the cooling system on the XX to keep the temps higher? Iagree with you they run

a tab too hot at times. But saying that I run 240-250f in city so far no issues,

so I try and avoid city traffic in the summer. Yesterday I made a 15 mile trip and was running 55mph or less all the way and the temp never got under 215f..

been there, done that.

PITA and doesn't alleviate any engine heat.

standing at a light, it helps a tiny tiny bit with heat on the legs.

and mostly for the passenger.

all in all, imho, a big PITA not worth it.

I've been toying with the idea of adding another heat exchanger of some sort.

I thought about using the exit side of the wax unit system and running a hose to another small radiator. The volume of coolant that passes through that line may not be adaquate though to really remove much heat. Thought it might be worth a try anyway.

Problem is where to put it.

Got it done today. Suprisingly easy. I used a fan off of a 2000 ZX12 that I scored on ebay for $20 shipped. It came with the housing, motor, blade, and the attached wiring harness. I used some big daddy wire ties to insert through the radiator to attach it, as the ones they sell for cars with the washers already on them require "modification" to the fins to say the least. 6 wire ties, 6 washers, got 'er dun. Grounded it to one of the bolts that holds the radiator up (metered it first and it was a solid ground), and ran the hot lead to an ignition source at a relay under the seat (part of my remote start system, but still is tied into the factory relays, so you'll have to catch your wire somewhere similar). It actually took me longer to remove the side panels than to install the fan. Seriously. Fan clears the front fender, even with my 240# ass rolling forward, slamming on the front brake, and pushing down. So I don't see any problems out on the road with it.

Results: Not quite what I expected. It was about 85 degrees out when I got the bike done, so I rolled it out to the edge of the garage. Fired her off, and waited. Waited like 7 minutes or so, and it was finally creeping up to the point where the factory fan turns on. The nice thing was that when the factory fan turned on, the temp did not increase anymore. It stayed right at that level, instead of keeping on climbing up to about 1/8" or so short of the white mark before the red like it always does. I guess I was hoping it would never even turn on the factory fan, but considering what I have invested in the mod, it was worth it. I figure I'll take it down the busiest road in town and sit at red light after red light to see how it does in worst-case-scenario situations. I might even do it one day when it's 95, just for scientific purposes :lol:

Final thoughts: If you can score a fan for $20-$30, it would probably be worth it. The factory fan for our bikes is small, in the middle, and directly above the headers, so anytime you can get a fan that is bigger and is on the already cool side, it's going to increase cooling. I offset mine to the brake-side of the bike, which makes the front fan actually cool an area that the factory fan doesn't. There's a little overlap, but for the most part, that fan is working independently of the factory one. I'm sure that if you take it out on the road you will see a drastic decrease in rolling radiator temperatures. I also have another fan, this one off a 600cc Kawasaki that I'm thinking of putting on there too. I could offset it to the clutch side, and that would pretty much put constantly-moving air over the entire radiator surface. I'll have to ponder that one and see if I can bring myself to pulling the side panel again to do it though :(

I had intended on doing that, but never got around to it. I wired it backwards but left the fan blade in it's original position. I was concerned about whether or not A) it would bolt back up, and B) what kind of clearance issues I would run into spacing it out from the radiator and getting it closer to the front fender. It's wired to blow in, but granted, it would have been more efficient if I had flipped the blade.

The other, smaller fan I have is flipped, but it makes the blades stick out from the housing, so I will have to space it out to make it work. However, it will be so far off to the side, not to mention it's diameter is half that of the ZX12 fan, that it shouldn't be a problem.