CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rear turn signal mods.

Pete in PA

I put on some short rear turnsignals and led a ride today. Other riders said they couldn't see my signals good enough. :cry:

I love the look, streamlines the tail down great.

So 2 questions. What do I use to plug the other hole on each side in the fender? I currently have black tape over hole.

If I go back to stock, is there a way to shorten the factory stalk so they sit in closer?

I did a search, nothing.

Guest Jetpilot5
If I go back to stock, is there a way to shorten the factory stalk so they sit in closer?  

I did a search, nothing.

I did a mod I first saw on DavesXX01's bike. I put the turn signal stalks from an 03 or newer CBR600RR on in place of the stock XX stalks. Fits perfect, looks factory, and pulls the signals in about a half inch. Cheap too, I think it was around $22 for the parts from Service Honda.

Pete, you can pull out those rubber middle pieces on the stockers pretty easily-

35239637.jpg

Just remove the signals, then stick a #1 phillips down the hole the wires come out of, remove screw and extender. Use an appropriatley sized hex head screw to mount them to the fender using the hole you just removed the screw from. Hex head for sure, you won't get a screwdriver in there.

I was concerned at first that they might rotate with only the one fastener, but thousands of miles later they are just fine.

Guest Jetpilot5

Nice comparison shot. If you do decide to go with the 600RR signals, you really only need to change the stalk, not the entire signal. That way you keep the stock wiring connectors.

I think Jaws sells some plates that go between the aftermarket signals and the fender. One thing you might want to do is to rotate the signals up a little for a straighter shot.

Your locale cycle gear store carries something from Motrax that is designed to cover up these holes. I did the exact same mod you did but did not like the look of the light so took the stuff back. In retrospect I think I should have stayed with it....see other posts. :P

Kinley

I'm keeping the aftermarket signals, they just look too good. Wondering if I can find Halogen tiny bulbs for them.

I found plugs for the holes in my fender at Lowes. In the hardware section in the special drawers. they're called "nylon hole plugs" (duh) and come in white or black. (also in chrome)

I got the 7/16th" size since my turn signals are in the rearmost holes of my fender. $1.10 for 2 in a bag.

The signals actually overlap the other hole a little so the plugs are held in.

Look great and are cheap.

They don't come big enough for frame plugs so I still have to get to an Ace Hardware for them.

Well I turned around and did what Redbird did and pulled the stalk off.

I just can't be rear ended once I get my new plastic. (although that way it will at least be paid for)

The only thing that bothers me is the slightly turned up attitude they have, just like in Redbirds pic. Might bevel the bottom till they sit straight.

I HATED MY REAR SIGNALS SO I TRIED THE LITTLE PHILLIPS LOCKHART ONES SAME THING NOT BRIGHT ENUFF ...SO I CANGED REAR BULBS TO LED IN TAIL LIGHT AND BOUGHT A INTEGRATER KIT AND I LOVE IT

WORKS GREAT AND BRIGHTER THAN ANY BLINKER AND ITS HIIDEN IN TAIL LIGHT PRETTY SWEET

I HATED MY REAR SIGNALS SO I TRIED THE LITTLE PHILLIPS LOCKHART ONES SAME THING NOT BRIGHT ENUFF ...SO I CANGED REAR BULBS TO LED IN TAIL LIGHT AND BOUGHT A INTEGRATER KIT AND I LOVE IT

WORKS GREAT AND BRIGHTER THAN ANY BLINKER AND ITS HIIDEN IN TAIL LIGHT PRETTY SWEET

Caps button works :stickpoke:

Rich

• 9 months later...

Pete, you can pull out those rubber middle pieces on the stockers pretty easily-

IPB Image

Just remove the signals, then stick a #1 phillips down the hole the wires come out of, remove screw and extender. Use an appropriatley sized hex head screw to mount them to the fender using the hole you just removed the screw from. Hex head for sure, you won't get a screwdriver in there.

I was concerned at first that they might rotate with only the one fastener, but thousands of miles later they are just fine.

Tim,

Thanks for the tip on the turn signal mod. Without it I would have had no idea there was a screw where the wires come out of the stalk. I really like how this mod looks. I also removed the license plate mount and light. I really like how the back of the bike looks now! After all that is all others will see of my BlackBird!!

Go with the integrated turn signals. I tried shortening the stockers and then LPs. The integration is the best. Very bright. I mod'ed my Corbin bags to take advantage of the missing lights. A little extra room in the bags, and a slicker look. I've got a set of LP's short and bright if you want 'em. Pics of the back of mine later.

Duane

Go with the integrated turn signals. I tried shortening the stockers and then LPs. The integration is the best. Very bright. I mod'ed my Corbin bags to take advantage of the missing lights. A little extra room in the bags, and a slicker look. I've got a set of LP's short and bright if you want 'em. Pics of the back of mine later.

Yes, pics! I'm thinking about doing this.

I shortened the stalks on my stock lights but still didnt like the look so I finally got some new ones. I got some of the Shock Racing LED's from New Enough for $25. They look pretty bright in the garage but I'll reserve judgement until I see them in the sunlight. They look a LOT better IMO. I'll post up some pics once I get my other shit finished and put the bike back together.

I got tired of mini-stalks and "flush-mounts" that stuck out a half an inch so drilled out a set of 1.1" holes in my tail cowl and installed these w/ the amber lenses....

IPB Image

With the LED tail light from the UFO group buy it looks pretty clean.

You can try these, they are DOT legal (have the stamping on the lens) and have a reflector, not just a bulb in a housing so you get a whole lens of light, not a bright spot and the rest dark like the rest.

DOT signals

I also took them a step further and put a white 30 LED board in them to fill up the lens. Super brignt and visible from all angles like a stock bulb, most LEDs are only visible if they are pointed directly at you.

I wired them both on to take the 2nd pic.

IPB Image

IPB Image