CBR1100XX.org Forum

Molybdenum oil question

Master Betty

Can one of you geniuses out there tell me what the deal is with oils that contain molybdenum additives?

One of my buddies put it in his 929. I was under the impression that it isn't the best stuff to put in your bike, however, a Honda dealer recommended it to him. They also said that once you start using it, you cannot go back. :roll: Does that sound right?

I think he's starting to regret it now that he is spending $9 a quart for oil...

Cheers

Bahahaha, what stupidity. Absolutely nothing that your friend's dealer told him is true. That asshole needs to be taken out and shot.

You should not use oils with Moly in bikes; could make the clutch slip. You can switch back and forth any time you like. Mobil 1 is known safe, thoroughly proven in testing to oulive nearly all other oils, and is cheap.

I've used the Honda HP4 with moly, and without, with no slippage issues, but I don't dog the clutch that hard either. The only thing I really notice is that the bike always runs better when the oil is fresh, but maybe it's all in my head....

Jim, I experience the same thing you do. I use HP4 also and find that as I approach 2K miles, the bike doesn't like to start 1st thing in the morning. Only for a second or so, but I can tell. She stills fires right up, just sort of grunts and lets out a fart before she starts to purr smoothly. I change the oil and Bam, back to normal.

But alas, prolly just in my big mic head also. Later, Sean

Try the Mobil 1 then. I don't find much difference between fresh and when I change it around 6k.

The levels of Moly in HP4 are pretty low. However, I have spoken to the Honda tech line about this twice and they definitely don't recommend using it "in the big bikes, fine in the little 600's." His words.

Oh, and the oil of choice for most of the riders in the Honda tech line center?

Mobil 1.

I'm no expert on oils; but I kinda feel that if Moly was that bad for

wet clutch systems Honda wouldn't sell it!?!?

I have used Honda pro w/ molly in many previous bikes with no problems.

I did ask my buddy (Honda service manager) - He said that if you are going to split hairs (drag racing, dyno shoot out, ect.) - than stay away from Moly blended oils because the moly though very good at keping friction to a min. actually reduces h.p. - even if it is only slightly.

He said he got this from a Honda service training class, so I assume it is true.

Just my two cents - you can keep the change!

if Moly was that bad for

wet clutch systems Honda wouldn't sell it

It's all about power levels. Fine for the small bikes, MIGHT make the clutch slip in more powerful bikes. Note that if you have very minor slippage you may not notice but will just wear or glaze the clutch sooner.

this is kinda off the subject but when is it alright to switch over to mobil 1? i have 1300 miles on my 02' bike now and i have hp4 without moly in it now. just wondering if there needs to be a breakin period before you put mobil 1 in it. thanks guys.

kevin

I did ask my buddy (Honda service manager) - He said that if you are going to split hairs (drag racing, dyno shoot out, ect.) - than stay away from Moly blended oils because the moly though very good at keping friction to a min. actually reduces h.p. - even if it is only slightly.

Wow, this is the first time I've ever heard anyone say that reducing friction results in a REDUCTION in horsepower! Don't get me wrong; I'm not doubting what your friend was taught. Do you think he can give us a more detailed explanation of why this happens?

Joe

P.S. If you detect sarcasm in my response, you detected it in error.