CBR1100XX.org Forum

Spa Questions

I had a spa left to me last week. Never had a spa, are there any tricks to getting it set up right? It's only a year old Cal-Spa, is about 7 feet by 7 feet square, 110V, with a bunch of jets, an ionizer(sp?), and a big plastic reusable filter thing, retracting cover, etc...

I was going to place it on 18 inch concrete pavers, because I don't have time to pour concrete. Will this hold, or should I be thinking temporary at this point? Also, how hot do you keep it, and what chemicals are needed? The owner (Grandma) just passed and I can't find any instructions, nor does my family know how to set it up or keep it clean.

Thanks in advance, Sean.

We have on of those. It actually came with the house, but the former owner got it in a similar fashion. Ours sits in those round decorative stepping stones which, in turn, rest on gravel. It has been this way for the year we have been here and the four years that they had it. I think your pavers will work fine.

You will need chlorine, they sell it at pool and spa supply stores. We usually use about a table spoon's worth. You can get a pool tester as well though we haven't yet and we have had no problems. The pool tester is a simple chemical test where you fill a tube with water from the spa and then add a chemical, the color of hte water measured against a chart that is part of the test kit will tell you what your chlorine level is and give you an acceptable range. There is also a chemical called a shock... actually it is called "SPA shock" by HTH industries. Throw a teaspoon or so of this in after you get out and it will keep the water from getting too cloudy. THe oils from your skin will make the water look a little funky if you don't use it.

If you keep the water too hot, you will never stay in it for more than ten or fifteen minutes. This is fine if you are getting in it for theraputic reasons, but if you plan on a long soak or are having the fabled hot tub party, you will want to keep the temperature at aroun 99 degrees. It will feel a little cool when you first get in, but believe me, if it is hotter you won't stay in long.

If the tub doesn't have a timer (I'm almost certain that it does) get one. You will want to set the timer to let the main pumps (not the bubbly jets) run for about two hours twice a day or the water will stagnate. This makes it a real bitch to clean. Ahhhh....cleaning. That sucks. You'll find you spend almost as much time cleaning it as you do using it.

Well, the wife is calling, it is time to watch a movie, Bad Santa. If you have any more questions or you want pics of my setup, lemme know and I'll do what I can.

Oh yeah, hot tubs can lead to :blowjob:

Eric

Thanks much you guys! I am getting it delivered next week, hopefully before the weekend. Found a spa delivering service that will do all the disconnects, move and setup for $150. It's only 15 miles or so, I thought it was a better deal than tricking some buddies into breaking their backs for pizza and beer :lol:

Thanks again, I've written a list and will go to the pool supply place this week also. Later, Sean.

The wife and I just purchased a Sundance that is smaller than the dimensions you listed. The overall filled weight is well over a ton, so do some decent prep work before you set it. Our salesguy (who is also the regional service guy) recommends at least 4 inches of concrete as a base.

We have a friend who had a larger tub on a deck that was reinforced for the tub back when he purchased it, but after a few years of moisture the tub was found on the ground 10 ft down one morning. Luckily nobody was in it. :shock:

As far as the temp, we love ours at 103+/-. We spend about 10-20 minutes in before bed, and sleep like babies :lol:

There is nothing, and I mean nothing like sitting in the tub with a full moon watching the stars.

Best purchase I've made in a long time. Good luck and enjoy. :wink:

BTW as far as service, my schedule is'''

1) Shock after each use.

2) test strip every few days.

add whatever the strip says is needed.

Alk, PH (up or down). We also use a product called Metal-X that seems to help clarity and water quality fairly well.

BTW as far as service, my schedule is'''  

1) Shock after each use.  

2) test strip every few days

3) drain sterilize and re-fill after visits from Mac.

I took care of 10 pools and 10 hot tubs while doing apartment maintenance for 15+ years. Best advice I can give you is to go buy yourself a GOOD test kit. Test the water often. Just when you think "Well I'll check it next time" thats when it will start to grow slime and booger looking things...OVERNIGHT :shock: :shock: And let me tell you...hot tub boogers are GROSS :bigpuke: If you plan on using it alot, draining it once or twice a month is no big chore and is worth the slight increase in the H2O bill.

I've used bromine and chlorine. I was always partial to chlorine because I always had it right there for my pools. Check the Ph. As important as chlorine. Too high and you'll get scaling, too low "acidic" your eyes will burn and your clothes will turn colors or fade. Try to keep it neutral around 7.5 or 7.6. Thats where a good test kit will let you know what the Ph is. A lot of what you have to put in your spa depends on how good your city water is. If it is crap to begin with then you'll have to work a little harder at keeping it right :evil: . Don't hesitate to take a water sample to a pool service, especially when you first fill it. They can tell you where to start with your chemicals.

I kept mine set at about 103 - 105 degrees. BUT!!!! If you tend to toss back a few alkyhaul beverages :drinkbeer: :beer: whilest partaking in a nice looooonnngggg dip in the spa, 30-45 minutes or more with out getting out for a few minutes to cool off... then don't be surprised if you can't walk when you get out :shock: I've seen people fall flat on their face trying to get out of the spa :bigpuke: . Becareful there.

Have fun and enjoy your spa :grin: :cool: :grin: :cool: :grin:

• 5 months later...

I've had a Hot Springs tub for two years now... I think ours is 9' x 7' or something to that effect... 550 gallons, 220v though.

All I can tell you is chlorinate. I don't have to be as delingent with water as others as we have 100% filtration, five filters. The water stays good for 4 months or so. I usually put a tablespoon of cholorine in every other day. Sometimes longer. Seems to work.

Depending on your water, you will have to pay attention to scale, that's horrible for heaters and plumbing. Once a week is good(though I'm not that regular with this).

I noticed after living with this for a while, that it's much cleaner when you don't wear anything... When people have bathing suits on the water gets disgusting, foamy and all that. There's no way to get all the soap out of the bathing suits... So that's the problem. I would recommend not washing your hot tub suit much, that should cut down on the foam. And of course not having women in there will also help. :) All the lotions, makeup and whatever else they douse themselves in causes foam.

Other than that it's pretty easy to take care of. I'm different than my wife in that I don't like it that hot. We typically settle on 101 degrees most of the year. But I noticed she turned it up to 102 recently and I can't stay in for longer than 15 minutes.