CBR1100XX.org Forum

Cholesterol

So I haven't been to the doctor in about three years so I thought it wouldn't hurt to go.  All my specs (blood work) came back within range except for Cholesterol, LDL Calculated and NonHDL Cholesterol.  Triglycerides, VLDL, HDL and Chol/HDL Ratio all within range.

I haven't spoken to the Doc yet about it but I'm sure I can improve the numbers with diet.  So I normally eat two or more eggs everyday so now I only eat one and haven't ate red meat or pork in years.  I force myself to eat broccoli almost daily with other veggie's and could lose five pounds or so which I will do.

Any suggestions to improve my numbers without becoming a rabbit? 

I've seen credible evidence that daily egg consumption is linked to this, and a number of other health issues.  Common advice is two eggs a week, and I limit myself to less than four.  What the chickens eat matters too, and factory farmed eggs are proven to have more of the bad parts of proteins and acids.  I've switched to only responsibly grown small farm eggs.

Blurb from NIH study:
In both types of egg yolks, the monounsaturated FA, oleic acid (18:1n-9) was the most abundant in free-range eggs, 45.6% vs. 40.8% in conventionally-farmed eggs (P = 0.01). The saturated FA, palmitic acid (16:0) was second in relative abundance, with 24.3% registered for free-range eggs whereas the concentration was significantly higher (P = 0.04) in conventionally-farmed eggs (26.7%). Significant differences (P = 0.005) were also observed in the amounts of the polyunsaturated FA, linoleic acid (18:2n-6) in the free-range eggs, 17.6% vs. the 10.9% registered in conventionally-farmed eggs. The latter (10.9%) was also more similar to the value reported (11.1%) in the CNF.

• Like 1

We have a massive industry dedicated to proving that meat, eggs, and dairy are 100% good for you, and totally safe to eat all you want.  Texas A&M has a larger budget for pro-meat/dairy PR than many universities do for their entire research department.  The only data you can get that ever questions factory farming has to come from sources that are not profiting from the many billions in that industry.  It's even codified that you can't have nutritional guidelines specifically saying "less meat and dairy" but they will accept "reduced saturated fat."  Which means...guess what....

Did I post about the huge butter/margarine conspiracy that was totally government supported and actually ran until recently?  Insane, but fully documented.

Absolutely.  Beans, whole grains, nuts but almonds in particularly.  Believe it or not, fatty fish, although there is controversy over the sources of salmon and steelies.  And...soy is the most prominent and easy food to remove cholesterol.  I can't recall if you're one of the people I've talked to who hates tofu.  If so, I have a trick for you to try.

3 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Absolutely.  Beans, whole grains, nuts but almonds in particularly.  Believe it or not, fatty fish, although there is controversy over the sources of salmon and steelies.  And...soy is the most prominent and easy food to remove cholesterol.  I can't recall if you're one of the people I've talked to who hates tofu.  If so, I have a trick for you to try.

Years ago I read that soy causes low testosterone and really doesn't look appealing so I've never tried it.  If I can use it in place of eggs and don't hate it, might be worth a try.  Let me know your trick.

https://www.mensjournal.com/health-fitness/how-much-soy-can-you-really-eat-before-it-affects-your-testosterone-w479484

6 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

Years ago I read that soy causes low testosterone

That was debunked.  It was either fake or just poorly done research, don't recall which.  There's a thread about it here somewhere.  I'm 50/50 on going conspiracy nut and calling it just another factory farming hit piece.  And the gym bro retards spread it fast and wide.

Three things about tofu...  Pressing, par-boil, and get it crispy.

Pressing can be done with a tofu press or just a weight and towels, or grate, or whatever.  Google "how to press tofu" and pick on.   A heavy plate on cheesecloth, etc.  There is a brand, Hodo, that makes it pre-pressed and really easy.  But it's only available at Super Target and a couple of the whole food type stores like some Sprouts but not all.

For some people, not all people, tofu has a mild but offensive little funk flavor.  You can get rid of that by getting water boiling hard, drop the cut tofu cubes in (not whole), and remove it in about one minute.

When you go to spice it, consider using a light spray of oil to coat it.  That will hold spices and make it crisp.  Cook the fuck out of it at 480 in an air fryer, or use a very hot pan.  

• Like 1

I thought to add--avoid statins or at least until you deeply research it.  They seem to have extremely low benefit.  I think we had a discussion here before.

4 hours ago, SwampNut said:

I thought to add--avoid statins or at least until you deeply research it.  They seem to have extremely low benefit.  I think we had a discussion here before.

Thanks, I generally avoid any drug (apart from mild antibiotics) unless everything else won't work and it's very necessary. 

While this is about processed foods and obesity, I've also seen the exact same as it relates to cholesterol.  Highly processed foods are terrible.

https://nutritionfacts.org/blog/processed-foods-and-obesity/?utm_source=NutritionFacts.org&utm_campaign=7811fa8613-RSS_BLOG_DAILY&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_40f9e497d1-7811fa8613-28710906&mc_cid=7811fa8613

My wife had some numbers that were a little high and with my cholesterol numbers, we have been weeding out more and more processed and high sodium foods.  It does make it more of a pain in the butt to eat day to day but we'll live.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be interested to see if there is any improvement with my moderate diet change.  I know age and genetics come into play but I'm sure diet must be the third leg.  

On 8/2/2024 at 2:32 PM, blackhawkxx said:

I'll be interested to see if there is any improvement with my moderate diet change.  I know age and genetics come into play but I'm sure diet must be the third leg.  

That third leg is about as proportional as your own third leg.

Haven't watched this.

I have good familiarity with the B vitamin family however if discussing it interests you.  I do injectable regularly since limiting animal products limits some of them.

10 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

You should.  Sure surprised me.  

I agree and will, my comment was only meant to say that I have no opinion yet.  Cholesterol is not a problem I face, but I eventually watch everything from those two.

• 2 weeks later...