CBR1100XX.org Forum

Wire gauge for 60 amp breaker, 48 amp continuous load

SwampNut

So hard to find a full answer, but it looks like THHN #6 would be safe.  It's around a 10' run inside of flex conduit, outdoors.  Breaker to EVSE (EV power station).  Two hots and a ground (one size down obviously).

Lowes is weird. But convenient for short pieces of wire. I assume your connectors only support #6 conductors. With Cu THHN it will be fine if the only thing on the line is the charging port. Start running lights or something on it and you'll be undersupplied.

2 hours ago, rockmeupto125 said:

I assume your connectors only support #6 conductors.

It's a wide range, I think 4 to like 12 or 14.  The EVSE can be programmed for the max load, as can the car.  So you could do 4 aluminum to get 60a, or do 14 and just get 12a, etc.  I wired it temporarily using a piece of SJOW 12 and an L6-20 where my bandsaw goes, fit fine.

This will go to its own breaker in the main panel outside, the EVSE will be on the wall a few feet from the panel.  Luckily the parking and panel are super close.

Looks like there's no disagreement here on the THHN 6, but google led me to too many people whining about it and saying 4.  I was pretty sure it was BS.

I have been charging with the portable cord on the L6-30 for my welder.  Going to upgrade to dedicated, partly because I got a free EVSE.  The Zero charges on plain household power, small battery.

13 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Reparations?     Sorry.

Fuck this, if the store price really is this, I will buy two reds and flag one with tape.  Not like it matters with two hots and ground.

I would say folks are getting confused, possibly they are using SER cable which is almost always aluminum. But yeah, copper 6AWG works within your 125% of constant load.

Yeah, tape one of the hots.  But the neutral should be white or grey, and ground green.

14 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Going to upgrade to dedicated, partly because I got a free EVSE.

Did using WIFI make it work or did you actually have to fix something?

8 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Did using WIFI make it work or did you actually have to fix something?

I was switching from trying wifi/Bluetooth to wired, but no, wired didn't help.  But it told me that the communication and control board is dead, because the network lights didn't light up, nothing on that board did.  I decided to call Rivian about it and they said they will "probably" just replace it.  And if not, I saw that there are a bunch of them well below $300 now, so fuck it, one way or another.

Thanks!  I had help from an actual pro in commercial/heavy industrial.

I am considering adding it to the app for neighborhood charging so anyone can use it, but I live so far out of the city that I don't imagine it's of any use.

On 6/16/2024 at 12:00 PM, SwampNut said:

It works so I'm guessing it's not GFCI protected.

• Haha 1

On 6/16/2024 at 11:50 AM, blackhawkxx said:

Looks like a professional install. 

Almost as professional as mine. 

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

It works so I'm guessing it's not GFCI protected.

That joke was made many times, including the neighbors who saw the activities.  It has one built in, and it's interesting how it seems to work.  There are inductive pickups around both phases, then on one phase, and on ground.  So it should find all potential differences.  And temp sensors and a million other safeties inside it.

On 6/16/2024 at 2:00 PM, SwampNut said:

I am considering adding it to the app for neighborhood charging so anyone can use it, but I live so far out of the city that I don't imagine it's of any use.

...ya know how you get cool stories, don't ya?

3 minutes ago, XXitanium said:

...ya know how you get cool stories, don't ya?

Let my commercial wiring buddy wire a GFCI, and repeatedly bond the neutral every fucking time?

Power measurement is built in to all permanent-mount EVSE gear.  It's just a native function in all of them.  My whole-house monitor will pick it up also.  And the car itself shows me power in that app.  And then the third party EV monitor app shows me even more data.  You know to the penny what it takes.  About equivalent to 35 cents/gallon on average with the truck, less for a car.

3 minutes ago, XXitanium said:

So, if I plug my car in using the app? Can I get it debited from my checking rather than being a drain on the system so to speak??

Do you mean if you use my charger at random?  There are apps for that, yes.  If I did it then it would just be open to use any time.

• Upvote 1