CBR1100XX.org Forum

The "Better" Bagel?

35 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

Anyone try this?  Still processed, not terrible, could be a nice occasional treat that's less shitty.

https://eatbetter.com/products/the-better-bagel?variant=41581389349069

That's like wanting to consume synthehol.  Why bother if you don't get the full effect?

3 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Anyone try this?  Still processed, not terrible, could be a nice occasional treat that's less shitty.

https://eatbetter.com/products/the-better-bagel?variant=41581389349069

What does "clean ingredients" mean?

Never seen that listed as a food benefit.  Sounds like pure marketing BS.

A nice occasional treat that's not shitty is a real bagel made in NYC, outlying areas of NYC or possibly north-eastern areas of NJ. Everything else is a shitty bagel or in this case a "bagel shaped bread product". I'm all for people seeking "healthy" ingredients but stop appropriating the original delicious product and pretending it's made better.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jon haney said:

Sounds like pure marketing BS.

Half marketing, but not PURE marketing BS, and kind of surprised you haven't seen it before.  It generally some stated health benefit, although "healthy" is hard to define and it keeps changing as we learn more.  So for example most nutrition experts would agree that wheat protein is "clean" while the majority of protein supplements are not, and are more likely to cause some gastrointestinal issues for a lot of people.  Moriah and I both react to the standard protein adders which are dairy based.  A lot of people do and don't really think about it until they have something different.  But we have no reaction to bone broth protein or plant protein.

Here is a pretty balanced overview of the idea:

The term is characterized both from the consumer’s perception of what “natural” suggests and by the ways food manufacturers market their products. The meaning of “clean label” may be different to different people, but it tends to involve the following concepts:2,10

1. Natural ingredients: no artificial flavors, artificial colors, artificial preservatives, or synthetic additives.
  2. Simplicity: less chemicals and recognizable ingredients that do not sound chemical or artificial.
  3. Transparency: information on how ingredients are sourced and how products are manufactured.
  4. Minimal processing: processing using techniques that consumers don’t understand to be artificial.

Consumers may identify a clean-labeled product by a shorter ingredient list or terms like “natural,” “simple,” “no artificial,” and “no preservatives” on the food label.

What illicit peptide from China should be mainlined to counteract the murderous effects of bagels????

pngtree-young-druc-addict-with-syringe-photo-image_1851381.jpg

3 hours ago, DaveK said:

That bagel has been all over TikToc the last few weeks.  It's all the rage. 

Well, that's what I needed to know, avoiding it then.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Well, that's what I needed to know, avoiding it then.

Exactly why I didn't give it a chance too.  Although I did JUST buy something from the Tik Tok shop....

2 hours ago, DaveK said:

My wife loved it... and I randomly fill out pages and don't tell her so she is surprised each time I do...

$30 below... on the Tik Toc shop it was $9 shipped. 

https://seasonalpicks.gifts/products/what-i-love-about-you-leather-journal

Is anyone else afraid to click on that link with "leather" in the wording?😳

At least at work?

Edited by jon haney

16 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

Absolutely 0% chance of me clicking on anything related to TikTok.

The link I posted wasn't from TikTok but the item I bought ON TikTok. 

On 3/21/2024 at 6:14 AM, DaveK said:

My wife loved it... and I randomly fill out pages and don't tell her so she is surprised each time I do...

$30 below... on the Tik Toc shop it was $9 shipped. 

https://seasonalpicks.gifts/products/what-i-love-about-you-leather-journal

That's quite a good idea, especially if you have a disagreement and something to remind you of why you love your spouse. 

Good on you Dave.