CBR1100XX.org Forum

Which new carburetor for the XR?

SwampNut

19 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Great photo and can be used in the ad when you sell it.

I almost forgot, LOL and fuck you, you fuckin' fuck.

Changed perspective with telephoto.  Which is better?

3B3DFF9B-8CBD-4146-B833-0FD72A93F233_1_105_c.jpeg

The answer on the XR650R subreddit is kinda what I was thinking.  The bike has two speeds; parked, and full send.  I did realize I have not actually measured sag, and did a minimum of damping change.  I should measure, though it feels "normal."

Most thorough answers:

level 1

Yes thats kinda normal. But heres the catch of this bike and the xr650L, faster you go, better and more planted the bike gets. I mean it gets very drastically impressive once you absolutely commit to it. I took the xr650L with 20% offroad 80% on road tires on pure south florida sugar sand track and it was terrible until you just stayed heavy on the throttle. Railed burms, hits all the jumps, bike becomes an absolute monster once you ride really aggressive with it. Do NOT man handle the bike, it will go terrible for you. This is the type of bike you want to make “suggestions” to it and stay heavy on the throttle on any “sketchy” parts. I have had countless near death experience’s with xr650L and recently the R, they ride identical offroad and the 2 bikes rewards me heavily by staying on that throttle. Once you allow her to do her thing and just hang tight, its just an entirely different beast. Please do not give up on her. This is a guy coming from past motocross experience and double A rider skill. These are the best bikes to ride with.

Also, tires dont matter to much on these. Dont go under 17lbs (she’s heavy) but thats all you need. Also favor the rear of the bike, ride old school. Shes an old school girl.

level 2

This exactly. I have virtually no dirt experience, and this thing is downright scary to putt around on the trails and gravels roads. I should not have started my offroad experience on this bike.

However, psycho is right: let her eat, and she'll take care of you. I've done some unbelievably stupid noob rider stuff, and the best, most reliable solution is to pin it and point your body where you want to go. She'll find her way through, singing that 650 thumper Siren song the whole way.

It's definitely skittish on the highway, just shakes its head at you the whole time, like what are we doing? Get it on a dirt road, set it to WOT, and it's like riding a galloping horse: not butter smooth, but rock steady for sure.

That sounds a little like my experience with the 990ADV - substantially more throttle and it behaves substantially better.  It isn't by any means squirrelly under conservative riding, maybe just a little vague and indifferent.  But the more aggressively you ride it, the more it feels like a smaller and smaller dirt bike.  It seems to gain confidence as the tach goes up - crack the butterflies and look where you want to go, the rewarding response can be almost telepathic.  I've been on trails that were well above my experience level with it, and learned to trust the technique with only a few disappointments... which in retrospect were my fault for failure to fully commit.

9 hours ago, IcePrick said:

crack the butterflies and look where you want to go, the rewarding response can be almost telepathic.

...or become a helicopter ride.  No biggie, a Life Flight ride is usually under $40k.

9 hours ago, SwampNut said:

The bike has two speeds; parked, and full send.

But heres the catch of this bike and the xr650L, faster you go, better and more planted the bike gets. I mean it gets very drastically impressive once you absolutely commit to it.

That's what I was guessing.  Just gotta get over the fear and send it, something I'd be unlikely to ever do, but the reward is very tempting.

Here's my guess: the bike is tall and heavy so it needs a lot of gyroscopic force to stabilize it.  Fill the tires with water instead of air and it might become docile.

LOL.

I've talked to a few people who have "stock" Mikuni pumpers, whatever they ship from the factory I guess.  It cost me $50 extra to get one from XRs only with the adapter ring preinstalled, and jetted for this bike.  Clearly, this was well worth it, the other people are fighting with jets and leaks using some shitty Chinese adapter.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

...or become a helicopter ride.  No biggie, a Life Flight ride is usually under $40k.

On the couple of occasions that overgassing has failed to save the day, I don't think there has been an appreciable increase in impact velocity compared to what was already predestined.  It either fixes it, or it gets perhaps *slightly* worse.

If I had to guess, it probably has something to do with the drive tire taking a healthy bite, and consequently unweighting the front to a degree.  I know there are a ton of incalculable geometry changes with the application of heavy throttle, but in my experience, engine RPM hasn't changed much from the time the throttle is whacked to the time the crisis has passed... little time to generate "spin up" of flywheel or drive wheel.  It seems to be more the torque making changes throughout the frame and suspension, and perhaps some rider weight shift in anticipation of acceleration.

20 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

LOL.

I've talked to a few people who have "stock" Mikuni pumpers, whatever they ship from the factory I guess.  It cost me $50 extra to get one from XRs only with the adapter ring preinstalled, and jetted for this bike.  Clearly, this was well worth it, the other people are fighting with jets and leaks using some shitty Chinese adapter.

When I bought my first one (XR4), the preinstalled adapter and jetting were the reasons I went with them - that, and XRsOnly's reputation as being experts in a few particular machines.  I think it is money well spent, the second one was a no-brainer.  Your experience confirms my observations, I'm glad those folks are still around.

Imagine how pissed you'd be if you spent 90% of the money for a bolt-on solution to the problem that merely became a new set of problems.

Researching your carb problem lead me to solving mine.  The carbs on the R5 intermittently dribbled, polishing the seats mostly cured it.  I hope to not go into them again 'till I decide to pull the cylinders for restoration, at that time the carbs will get new seats and needles.

Just now, superhawk996 said:

Imagine how pissed you'd be if you spent 90% of the money for a bolt-on solution to the problem that merely became a new set of problems.

LOL, right?  My jets are 150 and 17.5 with the idle screw 3.5 out.  One guy fighting starting issues has 140 and 30 at 1 turn out, as delivered.  WTF bike is that for?  XRs only did ship mine with the pump adjusted to the absolute minimum level, but it ran.  They say the bike is perky enough to not need the "common" setting of 1/8" clearance to the pump rod.  They shipped it with like half an inch or whatever is maximum.  About half the throttle stroke with no pump.  Maybe I should go back and try it their way.

This is a clear win for advanced FI or electric bikes.  It would be nice to push a button on the bars and have a different acceleration curve.  I've gotten pretty spoiled by that.

Just now, IcePrick said:

On the couple of occasions that overgassing has failed to save the day, I don't think there has been an appreciable increase in impact velocity compared to what was already predestined.  It either fixes it, or it gets perhaps *slightly* worse.

Dunno, it's the high side versus low side I think about.  Remember my post about CR500 airlines?  Oh yeah, it's amazing that so far this bike is less friendly than the CR500.

I agree with your overview of the changes with throttle.  Towards the end of my ride time I was trying throttle hits with mild roosting, and the bike seems to prefer it over having actual traction.  And you think you're lugging it, and the fucker just spins the tire no matter what.  Below idle in second gear?  Max torque, here you go, good luck.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SwampNut said:

Below idle in second gear?  Max torque, here you go, good luck.

Your XR identifies as electric.  It saw the direction your life was going and it's trying to turn you back before it's too late.

9 minutes ago, IcePrick said:

That somewhat makes sense, but I was stuck thinking more of how it would go for me.  I've not put enough time on dirt to get over being scared of it so for me it would be the difference between falling over a lot at under 20MPH vs. taking flight.  It'll be interesting to see if the 400 is less scary.

Speaking of which, Ocotillo this weekend as long as the weather isn't shitty.

Just now, superhawk996 said:

Fuck.

My Sunday night/Monday is going to be an all-nighter server migration, 1am-7am Monday.

6 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

I have to get my shit together before I can start doing that as a thing.  At a minimum, a bike trailer and get the Excursion back in shape.  I think the XR4 would be perfect for Tawnie, she likes the 530 but I'm claiming that back as the 990 is a little on the porky side for the sandy washes out there.  Doable, but hard work.

18 minutes ago, IcePrick said:

I think the XR4 would be perfect for Tawnie

I know you don't like to rely on other people's toys, but you/she are welcome to ride mine, someone's gotta do it.  I plan to bring it, but don't plan to ride it much.  On the off chance that I fall in love with it you guys get a Talon to drive, plus there's likely to be a spare RZR.  And there's spare beds.