CBR1100XX.org Forum

98 Bird Right Eye blinks sometimes.

xxceptional

I've removed switch housing and tightened the Phillips head screw that was loose. Cleaned what I think are the contacts on each side and relubed up the yoke actuator mechanism  but I still get intermittent turn signal on right side. It's much better than before. Blinker relay clicking normal. I would just buy a whole new switch if I could get one but seems 350250-mat-670 part is unavailable anymore.  So what we do?

I don't know what "yoke actuator mechanism" means, do you mean the insides of the switch itself?  Because that's where I'd start, remove the switch and clean inside, check the contacts for oxidation, pitting, etc.  Also define "blinks sometimes" because it could mean a few things.  Do you mean that you push the switch to the right, and it may turn on and flash, or may not turn on at all?  Or turns on and stays on?  Or...?

The yoke that I speak of is inside the switch housing. It moves left,right or pushes in to disengage signal. The blinking is intermittent on right side only. Some times works Immediately sometimes waits for a few seconds and sometimes don't work at all.

Did not try reversing wires yet. 

Ok, this is critical.  Does the light turn on immediately, and not blink.  Or does the light sometimes not turn on at all?

Also what Joe said; swap sides.

You said "blinker relay clicking normal"; always normal when you select right, or normal only when the lights decide to work?  Also, did the problem start after the bike sat a long time or was it in regular use and suddenly started acting up?  And how many miles on it?

So far, I'd say it's the switch.  As for buying one, I'm sure you can get used ones on eBay.  I've never taken one of these apart so I don't know what's in there.  I've cured others by just blasting contact cleaner through the opening and moving the switch back and forth.

Light don't turn on at all until relay starts clicking. Bike has 48k. I'm original owner always garaged and covered excellent condition. I have other bikes that I also ride but this one gets ridden at least once or twice a month. Been doing this for a couple mo. But just decided to fix it. After a lot of use its about 90 percent normal. I'm going to reverse wires and see if that narrows it down. 

• Upvote 1

It does sound likely to be the switch.  Have you disassembled and cleaned/inspected the contacts inside the switch?  It's easy, just watch for flying springs.

• Upvote 1

So I disassembled the whole switch and sure enough spraying the crap out of it with detoxit was not enough. Couldn't believe there was still so much dirt in there. So after some creative cleaning and some fresh dilectric grease on moving parts works and feels good as new. Thanks for the advice.

• Upvote 3

On 2/14/2024 at 5:35 AM, xxceptional said:

So I disassembled the whole switch and sure enough spraying the crap out of it with detoxit was not enough. Couldn't believe there was still so much dirt in there. So after some creative cleaning and some fresh dilectric grease on moving parts works and feels good as new. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for updating with the cure.

• Upvote 1