CBR1100XX.org Forum

Nutrition/health comparison of beef versus the common fake meats

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/friday-favorites-are-beyond-meat-and-the-impossible-burger-healthy/?subscriber=true

Interesting comparison, I had no idea that Alzheimer’s/dementia was among the many problems linked to beef consumption.  In summary, while plant based meat substitutes are somewhat processed and adulterated, they are still far better for you than beef.

This led me to compare bison, which also is a good comparison against beef.  This is the most brief summary I found on that: https://www.research.va.gov/currents/summer2013/summer2013-10.cfm

Then there's this retarded bullshit.

CleanShot 2024-01-19 at 09.27.24@2x.jpg

• Useful/Thanks! 1

Sent to my friends about dinner tonight:

Then I compared lamb.  The results are…we are going to die after tonight’s meal.  Most unhealthy thing I’ve made in a very long time.  Very high fat and everything else that you shouldn’t eat.  LOL

Glaze/marinade is Luxardo cherry with bourbon and dark rum.  So fat, sugar, alcohol.  They will provide balance.  We're fine.
  • Haha 1

Wow, that guy is just as annoying, if not more so, than Scotty Kilmer.

Most of the beef I consume is at home, which means it's locally grown and butchered, or it's deer meat.  I've tried the impossible Whopper.  No thanks.  We all know that processed foods are a problem, and it doesn't get much more processed than fake meat.

I don't need to live forever.  I'll take my chances with what I like.

That being said, I do try to eat better in a way that keeps my weight down.  Less sugar, chips, ice cream, and beer.  Plus, smaller portions.  Just being lighter will do a lot to extend my life, and the quality of it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, jon haney said:

I don't need to live forever.

Eating well is about living well as you age, not necessarily longer.  I started on the path because of chronic and acute joint pain.  Wouldn't want to live longer with it.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, SwampNut said:

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/friday-favorites-are-beyond-meat-and-the-impossible-burger-healthy/?subscriber=true

Interesting comparison, I had no idea that Alzheimer’s/dementia was among the many problems linked to beef consumption.  In summary, while plant based meat substitutes are somewhat processed and adulterated, they are still far better for you than beef.

This led me to compare bison, which also is a good comparison against beef.  This is the most brief summary I found on that: https://www.research.va.gov/currents/summer2013/summer2013-10.cfm

Then there's this retarded bullshit.

CleanShot 2024-01-19 at 09.27.24@2x.jpg

Facts.

In that study, each participant ate 12 oz of beef everyday. Or 3/4 of pound per day. . That would be 274 pounds per year, or 124 kilos per year. 

That is massive. There are, probably, some people who eat that much of beef, sadly. Of course not healthy. Just like not healthy eating massive amounts of GMO soybeans grown with help of massive qualities of chemicals.

However, that's not how most of people on balanced healthy diet eat. 

I eat about 1 pound of organic beef or bison per week. Or about 50 pounds per year. Or 1/5th of what they ate in that study. And comparable amounts of chicken, and probably double that of fish. And some soybeans products. And, of course, dairy. 

The key is moderation and balanced diet. And regular exercise. You never hear people whining, complaining and moaning about anything in gym. Because of endorphins. 

Edited by tomek

I mentioned in another thread that I felt sorry for people who retired and lost their ability to do the things they hoped to do in retirement due to health issues.  

Heart disease, high cholesterol, diabetes, and even various cancers are mitigated on a plant-based diet.  

The top three killers in the US, plus one of the most dreaded, are mitigated - sometimes into statistically irrelevant ranges - on a plant-based diet.  

Take a moment and think of all the people you know who have died from these self-induced afflictions, and wonder what it would be like if they had simply eaten a better diet. 

3 minutes ago, IcePrick said:

Take a moment and think of all the people you know who have died from these self-induced afflictions, and wonder what it would be like if they had simply eaten a better diet. 

And exercise. Plant based diet won't do shit if you on your ass all day long doing nothing. 

It is really about lifestyle, no magic diet or magic pill. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IcePrick said:

Not just died, but went through something where they wish they had.  Leon's sister (neighbor, close friend) is in this situation.  I don't think she's gone a single day in life without beef, accompanied by the typical garbage sides.  She'll eat a vegetable.....covered in butter or cheese.  Anyway, she just had multiple colon surgeries and had a cardiac event on the table, it was sketchy.  Recovery from each surgery is "the worst pain imaginable."  She has sworn to eat more plants and less trash.  I've volunteered to walk over and help any time.  So far she's quit smoking and has lost 40 pounds.

Leon meanwhile has major knee pain when he's eating junk, but like me, it goes away when he doesn't.  We figured this out on a hunt, where he just couldn't keep up with me and our third friend.  Once he cut out the junk he could.  But then his sister moved in, and made sure that everyone ate the same junk she's addicted to.

So no, it's not about living longer, it's about living well while you're here.  It comes down to basic life loves; Leon couldn't go hunt-hike for more than half a mile or so, while we all want to do a few miles.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, IcePrick said:

The top three killers in the US, plus one of the most dreaded, are mitigated - sometimes into statistically irrelevant ranges - on a plant-based diet.

While I fully agree that diet and exercise plays a major role, I disagree it is as simple as that.  Hereditary also plays a major role as can be proved by super healthy people still getting cancer or passing of other causes.  Speaker of quality of life, eating a total plant based diet would lower that for me to an unacceptable level as I dislike anything green.  Note I didn't say I didn't eat them but it is by force of will.  But who knows, Carlos used to known as the meat man here. 😀 

Have you tried green things roasted/sauteed and not steamed in any way?  I thought I hated green things, then learned, not long ago, that it was just steaming that caused the awful flavor.  This includes frozen veggies which are all par-boiled.  Even just putting a lid on cooking green things causes enough steam for me to dislike them.

57 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

I disagree it is as simple as that. 

I don't get this; he said "mitigated" and never "an easy full fix."  Eating plant based mitigated my joint pain and prevented surgery.

Why anyone with a hereditary predisposition for any of the top killers in the US would choose to NOT reduce their risk factors as much as possible is beyond me.  If I had a genetically related likelihood for any of those diseases, I would go out of my way to engineer every variable under my control to my advantage.  Everyone makes their own choices.

I get it that going without meat sucks for most people.  I haven't managed it for any real stretch of time since I was in my 20's.  BBQ, a cheeseburger, roasted chicken... almost irresistible to me.    

2 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Speaker of quality of life, eating a total plant based diet would lower that for me to an unacceptable level as I dislike anything green.

And that's fine, but the fact remains that those green things are good for you.  You can acknowledge the facts and at the same time choose to dismiss the option of a healthier diet.  I don't think anyone here is trying to dictate what people do, but rather spread awareness.

P.S. - some of the best veggies aren't green - red cabbage, beets, carrots, red onions, tomatoes, sweet potatoes... lots of options to add fiber and an array of beneficial natural substances.  But you have to want to do it - if you don't want to, that's perfectly fine by the world. 

• Like 1

Here's 3 minutes and 38 seconds that will add some perspective on the effect of lifestyle on health.  A very small percentage of people are genetically predisposed to most diseases, the vast majority simply choose to smoke, drink, eat, and lazy ourselves into it.

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/flashback-friday-eliminating-90-of-heart-disease-risk/

54 minutes ago, IcePrick said:

I don't think anyone here is trying to dictate what people do, but rather spread awareness.

My only objection to *informed* personal choices is when people continue to come to me with the same complaints after repeatedly choosing to eat crap.  My neighbor, for example.  Dishonest choices based on lying to one's self are also retarded.  

Also a nutritionist I worked with years ago like to say that the path to better health is simple.  But not easy.  Meaning we know exactly how to do it but the entire society is against it and we're programmed to not do it.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Have you tried green things roasted/sauteed and not steamed in any way?  I thought I hated green things, then learned, not long ago, that it was just steaming that caused the awful flavor.  This includes frozen veggies which are all par-boiled.  Even just putting a lid on cooking green things causes enough steam for me to dislike them.

I don't get this; he said "mitigated" and never "an easy full fix."  Eating plant based mitigated my joint pain and prevented surgery.

I have not put the effort in preparing and cooking greens you do and I can see with the right cooking and spices could make it better.  

There may be a day I'll jump on the rabbit train but not today.  As far as joint pain, weight plays huge part in it.  Most of my life I lifted weights and was big but as I aged I started to have joint issues.  My hips got to a point where it was hard to walk around in the store.  In 2008 I decided I had to do something and lost 65 lbs., the the difference was amazing.  Joint pains all gone.  

4 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Yes, you are correct, I phrased it wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

Another good "compared to what" article...

Is Plant-Based Meat Healthy?

We have to ask: Compared to what? Food is a zero sum game. Each time we eat, there’s an opportunity cost, a lost opportunity to put something even healthier in our mouth. For example, are eggs healthy? Yes, when compared to a breakfast sausage link, but not when compared to oatmeal.

Plant-based meat alternatives are no match for unprocessed plant foods, such as beans or lentils, and a bean burrito or lentil soup could certainly fill the same culinary niche as a lunchtime burger. But, if you are going to have some kind of burger, it’s easy to argue that the plant-based versions are healthier.

And comparative environmental damage...

According to the United Nations, meat and dairy production would need to be doubled to meet the predicted demand for animal-based proteins in 2050, but the opposite is required to contain the ecological damage. As I discuss in my video The Environmental Impacts of Plant-Based Meat Substitutes, if we have any chance of sustainably meeting future food needs, we must lower our meat consumption. The largest barrier to following a plant-based diet may simply be meat appreciation.

https://nutritionfacts.org/blog/plant-based-meats-and-our-health/

13 hours ago, SwampNut said:

According to the United Nations,

Stopped reading "the facts".

Fake meat is processed plant foods and are not healthy. However, when plant foods are processed by animals they are turned into healthy real meat. 

The choice is clear. 

Everyone should definitely listen to the diet and medical advice from the dumbfuck who doesn't understand how carbohydrates work.  I'm sure it's useful and very Professional™.

One of my customers is doing a job for Impossible Foods, I'm volunteering for any consumer interaction (they do focus groups, product testing, etc).

Yes, because listening to fat couch potato who believes exercising makes people fat, and eating less has no health benefits is way better. 

2 hours ago, SwampNut said:

One of my customers is doing a job for Impossible Foods, I'm volunteering for any consumer interaction (they do focus groups, product testing, etc).

You being fat, with no body muscles, etc. is gonna do so good for the company. Kinda like toothless person doing advertising for dental industries. Lol.

Edited by tomek
  • Haha 1

Apology accepted again, but you really do need to think twice about trying to pretend you know everything, particularly when it's affecting peoples' health.  It's ok, be who you are, the world still needs truck drivers for now and not everyone can be the expert on everything.  You could just be the expert on things like how to operate a coffee maker (maybe) or how to beat the 3-5 year puzzles (I know it takes you six years, but still).

Well, enough of this benefiting nobody shit. 

You can promote plant based foods without being militant vegan. How about that? Truce? I'll stop not picking your posts, etc.

It is not all or nothing. There are many benefits of eating quality dairy, meats, pountry, etc. It is not my way or whatever. Balanced diet is the key. 

BTW, I congratulate you the ability to read my posts while having me oh so ostensibly on ignore. 😁