CBR1100XX.org Forum

Seat-of-the-pants engineering

XXitanium

My wife is watching Gotham Garage (Car Masters, rust to riches)

They built a Tesla withe a mega carb'd 383CID. They made a cheezy hole in the hood.... etcetera

They ran the drive-shaft inside the car instead of making a tunnel and running it outside. I'm pretty sure they are generally run outside for safety.

I've twisted a pinion off the rear end, a long time ago. You don'want a drive shaft flopping around in the interior of a automobile cabin.

....so, here are my questions.

1. What is the operating temperature of a universal joint operating under normal circumstances mounted outside? I think "barely warm to the touch?"

2. Would mounting them inside allow less cooling and make them heat up? (I don't think it would change much)

opinions?

Don't think operating temps would be too much of an issue, but you're right--safety would be entirely another consideration. I don't know what the current tech rules in any sanctioned competitions are, but I can remember some pretty strict safety measures/standards required of the drive train to include the drive shafts. The guy who bought the modified Tesla was planning to display it in an office setting, so the inherent safety issue may be moot. 

• Upvote 1

Temperature of joint should not be an issue, the thing rotates and practically creates its own airflow. So, in grande scale of things it was last item on their list to worry about.

😜5 bucks says battery failed on that particular Tesla, and when they faced 20 grand bill for replacement they said fuck that shit, let's do V8 conversion. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, XXitanium said:

My wife is watching Gotham Garage (Car Masters, rust to riches)

They built a Tesla withe a mega carb'd 383CID. They made a cheezy hole in the hood.... etcetera

They ran the drive-shaft inside the car instead of making a tunnel and running it outside. I'm pretty sure they are generally run outside for safety.

I've twisted a pinion off the rear end, a long time ago. You don'want a drive shaft flopping around in the interior of a automobile cabin.

....so, here are my questions.

1. What is the operating temperature of a universal joint operating under normal circumstances mounted outside? I think "barely warm to the touch?"

2. Would mounting them inside allow less cooling and make them heat up? (I don't think it would change much)

opinions?

That show sounds pretty lame.  I tend to stick with Engine Masters, Roadkill Garage, Road Worthy Rescues, etc.  I can enjoy some of the restoration shows on MotorTrend but the super high dollar builds don't fit into my reality. 

• Upvote 1

At least the driveshaft can't hit the ground and catapult the car.  Safety hoops are mandated to protect against that, but I don't recall seeing any rule that banned having the driveshaft inside the car.  It would still need safety hoops as per the requirements, but it seems like they couldn't disqualify you for it being in the car unless they're allowed to make shit up on the fly when doing the tech inspection.

12 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

At least the driveshaft can't hit the ground and catapult the car.  Safety hoops are mandated to protect against that, but I don't recall seeing any rule that banned having the driveshaft inside the car.  It would still need safety hoops as per the requirements, but it seems like they couldn't disqualify you for it being in the car unless they're allowed to make shit up on the fly when doing the tech inspection.

If Don Garlits or John Force is doing the inspection, you may not pass.

Even with loops, I don't think I would want to try it.