CBR1100XX.org Forum

2003 XX in San Francisco-Less than 200 miles-not mine

While I somewhat understand the allure to something old with super low miles, it usually has to be all original to pull top dollar.  It would cost a fair bit to restore that Bird so I can't imagine a collector type being attracted to it.

It may not be an outright scam, but there are enough yellow flags to give collectors' mindset a cautionary pause. It's not in OEM condition (aftermarket parts & no mention of any original parts available), no information as to provenance (title history, etc.), and a barn find should look like a barn find with expected patina intact. Otherwise, the price might not be out of line. Nonetheless, much more information would be needed.

• Like 1

Reply back from the dealer.  Original tires? 😂 

Thanks for your interest.

CL ad copy had some typos, now corrected.

Original mileage is 170 miles

Price is firm at $8,495

Overall condition is very good, 
but there are a few minor nicks and scuffs from storage.
Slight scuffs on the front fender and rear tail from being in a garage for so long. 
Very Small ding in gas tank, but otherwise perfect. 
Photos are recent and accurate.

Reconditioning to return to service included : 
Fuel System check, fresh gas - all OK Runs like new
Oil Change
Cooling System check coolant and all clamps and hoses - all OK
Brake System - Flush and New Fluid complete system
New Battery

Note : Tires are Original

Runs and rides perfect. 

Beautiful one of a kind blackbird. 

Two brothers slip-ons have been on the bike since new. 
Period correct upgrade. 

Dean Seven
////////////////////////////
415 601.2118

I am in the East Bay.  If anyone is seriously interested in the bike I could swing by to check it out.

The chain looks like shit for a bike with so few miles.  I also wonder why they don't show a photo of the odometer.  If the miles were truly that low it would be a huge selling point, but all photos of the dash are without power so no way to verify if the low miles are true or not.

They mention the services done to get the bike ready for use, but no mention of replacing any seals.  Rubber sitting in a "barn" for that long will be dry and brittle and will fail almost immediately.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, tecman said:

Rubber sitting in a "barn" for that long will be dry and brittle and will fail almost immediately.

This is always a concern, but I've bought many abandoned vehicles, some that sat over 20 years, and had no seal issues I can recall.

My current boat is a 2007 that was apparently never used, and was stored outdoors in Bullhead AZ which is a pretty harsh environment.  I haven't put a lot of run time on it, but it's been around 9 months and no leaks so far.  As a bonus, the owner parked it with the hull drains installed so the engine was mostly underwater.  The high water mark was almost at the valve cover, when I got to it the water was at about mid cylinder area.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2023 at 7:39 AM, SwampNut said:

My 2000 model did 142 HP on the dyno stock, and 147 with a fuel-adding tuner.  That was in summer in Vegas so it was hot and 2000 feet of elevation.  It should be more at sea level and cool.

Complete, another Bull Shit from Seamp. Dynos read in standard conditions by default. 

2000 feet of elevation would call for 6% correction factor. Let's say it was 95 degrees instead of standard 77. That's another 3% correction. All together around 10%, or around extra 14 HP.

Are you claiming your bike would make 156 rear wheel hp at see level at 77 f degrees? Stock? 

Lol.