CBR1100XX.org Forum

Swapping handlebar button functions

SwampNut

The Zero has the cruise button in a retarded place, and it's a huge pain to use it.  But the hazard light button, the least useful button, can be reached so easily you have to be careful not to accidentally hit it.  That's right by your left index finger, and reachable with purely a finger motion, no movement of your hand.  It's faster and easier than the turn signal or anything else.  So the solution is obvious.  

I know that nobody here has a Zero, but the principles are the same for any bike where you might want to change functions.  For some reason, I'm not aware of any bike that uses "smart" control boxes yet.  They are just dumb switches that go to the ECU directly, wire by wire, not CAN bus.  They are simple switch closures and can be repurposed easily, even for functions outside of what the bike can do (wire it to a garage opener, but lose a bike function you don't need).

What a huge improvement.  Also, a shocked positive review for my new magnetic action camera clothing mount.  That's how I did the ride video, which I didn't restabilize, and it's near perfect.  It was noticeable flopping on my t-shirt during the ride (near the end).

• Like 2

Cool video.  Never thought about switching pin locations in a plug.  Definitely, much cleaner, and less permanent.

Your voice is nothing like I expected.  You sound like you're 25.  The fact that the button location bothered you enough to go through this wiring change says you're much older.  😄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jon haney said:

Your voice is nothing like I expected.  You sound like you're 25.

LOL, and that's not my real radio voice like when I do client recordings.  It's funny how much effort it takes to think about what to say while also thinking about what to do.  I go back and wonder why I can't speak continuously, but stop to think.

3 hours ago, jon haney said:

The fact that the button location bothered you enough to go through this wiring change says you're much older.  😄

I've always been this way.  As a kid, every toy needed to be taken apart and improved.

I did my first real, mixed road ride since the change (street, freeway, fast highway) and it was really great.  With full regen braking on, a double-tap drops 1mph at a time.  With light regen I can do a casual 1-2 off/on to adjust.  Ride modes can be changed on the fly and I've been starting to do that.

4 hours ago, SwampNut said:

I've always been this way.  As a kid, every toy needed to be taken apart and improved

Some people cannot adapt. Any change causes them great confusion and discomfort. Usually aggravated by old age.

18 hours ago, XXBirdSlapper said:

Some people cannot adapt. Any change causes them great confusion and discomfort. Usually aggravated by old age.

Now we understand you?

Thanks

22 hours ago, SwampNut said:

LOL, and that's not my real radio voice like when I do client recordings.  It's funny how much effort it takes to think about what to say while also thinking about what to do.  I go back and wonder why I can't speak continuously, but stop to think.

I've always been this way.  As a kid, every toy needed to be taken apart and improved.

I did my first real, mixed road ride since the change (street, freeway, fast highway) and it was really great.  With full regen braking on, a double-tap drops 1mph at a time.  With light regen I can do a casual 1-2 off/on to adjust.  Ride modes can be changed on the fly and I've been starting to do that.

Smart move Carlos. Make something more functional for your intended purpose. Takes a super smart and motivated individual to rip apart a new bike and adapt it to you. I’m surprised someone your age is so incredibly motivated. Kudos to you. 

20 minutes ago, DaveK said:

I’m surprised someone your age is so incredibly motivated.

LOL!

27 minutes ago, OMG said:

Now we understand you?

Thanks

And there you go.  People become fearful in their old age.  Add in stupidity and anger, well...

So far, I've "adapted" just fine, no missed button presses, the new way is so obvious that I haven't forgotten which is which.  I did that only right after the change, while in parking mode getting out of and into the wheel stand (the cruise button manages parking mode reverse).

6 minutes ago, OMG said:

You do realize I was not referring to you?

Yes, sorry, I was going along with what you said, and agreeing.  It's a sad space some people find themselves in, and you pointed it out.

On 10/10/2023 at 7:38 PM, OMG said:

You do realize I was not referring to you?

Don't sugar coat it. He knows you were. I mean, LOOK AT THE TOPIC AND WHO'S ASKING!

On 10/9/2023 at 1:36 PM, SwampNut said:

The Zero has the cruise button in a retarded place, and it's a huge pain to use it.  But the hazard light button, the least useful button, can be reached so easily you have to be careful not to accidentally hit it.  That's right by your left index finger, and reachable with purely a finger motion, no movement of your hand.  It's faster and easier than the turn signal or anything else.  So the solution is obvious.  

I know that nobody here has a Zero, but the principles are the same for any bike where you might want to change functions.  For some reason, I'm not aware of any bike that uses "smart" control boxes yet.  They are just dumb switches that go to the ECU directly, wire by wire, not CAN bus.  They are simple switch closures and can be repurposed easily, even for functions outside of what the bike can do (wire it to a garage opener, but lose a bike function you don't need).

What a huge improvement.  Also, a shocked positive review for my new magnetic action camera clothing mount.  That's how I did the ride video, which I didn't restabilize, and it's near perfect.  It was noticeable flopping on my t-shirt during the ride (near the end).

Great video Carlos !