CBR1100XX.org Forum

Zero turn lawn mower suggestions.

Zero Knievel

2 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

I don't know about your area but here in the spring mowing the grass once a month you would be baling it like hay.  Sometimes it could use twice a week unless you are bagging so the clippings isn't laying thick and compounds the following week. 

Yeah…with enough rain it could get that bad, but I have a brush mower that could handle it.  It’s a matter of cost vs. benefit.  What we’re being charged for two cuttings a month is quickly adding up…even if you presume 3 months with no cuttings and 2 months with maybe only one cutting.

I also wonder if the zero turn is worth the money compared to other riding mowers.  A nimble enough riding mower would work just as well, but an issue I think exists is that zero turns have a lower center of gravity, so if you’re going along the edge on a sloped bank, you don’t have to hang off the edge of the seat.  Of course a quality riding mower may cost just as much.

4 hours ago, DaveK said:

Wait, at $300/month - that would be cheap?  Or you actually looking to be cheap?

LOL

After enough time, I’d be paying for the equipment anyhow.

Just as leasing makes no sense if you want to keep a vehicle for over a decade.

59 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

Looking at this now.  It seems zero turn models are a premium, but other than going faster, they don’t, per se, do significantly better cutting.  

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cub-Cadet-XT1-Enduro-LT-46-in-23-HP-V-Twin-Kohler-7000-Series-Engine-Hydrostatic-Drive-Gas-Riding-Lawn-Tractor-LT46/317834379?irgwc=1&cm_mmc=afl-ir-249354-456723-&clickid=VdeVmu3vrxyPTTzU4TwzTyBJUkFW4XSdzU5o2A0

IMG_0702.jpeg.b4df2a5552a8f952befb0a9e21cc80ef.jpeg

Yep, perfect choice. Do it. Make sure to DO NOT buy a warranty. Warranties are for pussies.  That thing will never break. You’re golden if you get that one 

• Useful/Thanks! 1

38 minutes ago, DaveK said:

Yep, perfect choice. Do it. Make sure to DO NOT buy a warranty. Warranties are for pussies.  That thing will never break. You’re golden if you get that one 

Wow.  A positive response.  Please say you aren’t messing with me.

1 hour ago, Zero Knievel said:

Wow.  A positive response.  Please say you aren’t messing with me.

Nope, not messing with you.  I've always heard Cubs are like the Honda of Lawn Tractors - very little maintenance, rock solid platforms and last LONG !

Good choice.  Only drawback - my neighbor has a HUGE piece of land and it takes him a whole weekend to mow his lawn where I assume Zero Turns move much faster. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, DaveK said:

Nope, not messing with you.  I've always heard Cubs are like the Honda of Lawn Tractors - very little maintenance, rock solid platforms and last LONG !

Good choice.  Only drawback - my neighbor has a HUGE piece of land and it takes him a whole weekend to mow his lawn where I assume Zero Turns move much faster. 

Yeah, but is it worth the premium?  Google Earth lets you calculate acreage.  While we have +/- 34 acres, a calculation shows only 2 acres of land we actually mow…and most of that only needs cutting maybe once a month because we don’t mind it growing taller.  Around the house proper and along the drive if needed every 2-3 weeks.

Now to see if I can get it at a discount.

1 hour ago, superhawk996 said:

wait 'till the next "election".

I think I have electile dysfunction - I can't get aroused over any of the choices from either party.