CBR1100XX.org Forum

Lightning cables to give away

We have a bunch of them.  The last Lightning-equipped devices will be going away in the next couple weeks, so, anyone need some?  There are a variety of lengths, colors, and USB-A/USB-C on the other end.  Tell me what you'd like, I'd rather mail these out than just trash them (a couple of them can go in a first class envelope dirt cheap).

1 hour ago, SwampNut said:

We have a bunch of them.  The last Lightning-equipped devices will be going away in the next couple weeks, so, anyone need some?  There are a variety of lengths, colors, and USB-A/USB-C on the other end.  Tell me what you'd like, I'd rather mail these out than just trash them (a couple of them can go in a first class envelope dirt cheap).

Yes please.

13 hours ago, DaveK said:

I'll take C and USB.  We go through a lot.  I mean if you are talking 100's... I don't need hundreds but a dozen, sure. 

Take them all...make French braid versions of them.  Sell them advertising that they can handle triple the data. ;) 

2 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

Take them all...make French braid versions of them.  Sell them advertising that they can handle triple the data. ;) 

I was planning on using them to tie my boat to the trailer hitch on the car when I use the boat.  Ratchet straps, lightning cables... same same. 

5 hours ago, DaveK said:

I was planning on using them to tie my boat to the trailer hitch on the car when I use the boat.  Ratchet straps, lightning cables... same same. 

Sorry, no go.  The end is too close to the other end and that will never work.

Also I'll make a pile soon and portion them out.

My phone shipped early, and will be delivered tomorrow.  While I'm on my way to Vegas for the weekend.  Bastards.  Moriah's clown-sized Max phone is delayed.

20 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Moriah's clown-sized Max phone is delayed.

Diesel prices are insane, they're probably waiting to figure out what else they can fit onto the truck to combine shipping.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TOXXIC said:

I like the lightning cords and was annoyed when they announced the change.

Thank the EU for legally forcing it.

That said, it had to happen, since USB-C is the permanent future connector.

18 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

until the next super better thing comes along.

The next evolutions are compatible with the connector.  The next thing is already being worked on.  There's no foreseeable future where C can't adapt.  And it's backwards compatible so while my MacBook Pro has Thunderbolt 4 on the ports (the next super better thing), you can plug in anything down to an ancient USB 2.0 device and it works.  We won't be alive to see a replacement for this port.

On 9/23/2023 at 5:36 PM, SwampNut said:

Thank the EU for legally forcing it.

That said, it had to happen, since USB-C is the permanent future connector.

I like the lightning port as it goes in both ways. I am sure there is a joke in that word choice.

2 hours ago, SwampNut said:

So does C.

Good to know! I have a newer or newish iPad I bought from Dave that isn't lightning powered, and uses something else but I thought it was directional specific. I will have to check.

It's not directional.  Early iPads had lightning, newer ones have USB-C.  The USB-C spec was built with both the knowledge of the complete fuckery that was the micro USB spec, and knowing the rather predictable 20 year evolution of protocols to put on it.  It really is done right, and really universal.  It charges and can be charged, it does full-speed video, as well as all the obvious things like file transfer.  My "desktop" is a MacBook Pro connected by a single USB-C Thunderbolt 4 port carrying two 4k monitor streams, my external drives and devices, power in, and audio.  When I travel I don't really need a "charger" just any USB power supply and then daisy chain devices willy-nilly.

There's also some crazy magic I can't figure out.  If I connect my external travel battery to the MBP while the MBP is on power, it charges the pack.  If it's off power, it gets charged by the pack.

18 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

There's also some crazy magic I can't figure out.  If I connect my external travel battery to the MBP while the MBP is on power, it charges the pack.  If it's off power, it gets charged by the pack.

Sooo... you mean... it just works?  Weird!

• Haha 1