CBR1100XX.org Forum

Trailering and tying down bikes

Zero Knievel

5 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

IIRC he had something similar and sold it because they're no good, then started on his mission of failed attempts to transport his bike different ways.  The bike trailer is probably way better than his for bike transport, but somehow he apparently thinks that this will solve his inability to strap the bike down properly.  Yea, cargo trailers are way better for motorcycle transport than motorcycle trailers are.

I wonder how many more straps he'll need now that he's putting it on something with no chock or rail to hold the tires in place.  Then I wonder how long before he asks why his towing gas mileage was suddenly cut in half just from switching trailers 😂

Ha.  Ha.  Ha.

I sold something similar because I never used it…or when I needed it, I couldn’t get to it.  It was sitting in the yard slowly rusting.  Utility trailers do better for letting you install anchor points where they are most effective.  And chocks?  You can buy them.  I already have one…just need to install it.

Stuff for the new trailer.  I have two of the anchors from Carlos, but 4 more means I can place them in the corners and the other two where they would be the most useful mid-trailer.  The taillights aren’t anything impressive, so brighter LED bulbs.

IMG_0033.jpeg.5b686172e3cd7db09574e1d9c33d894b.jpeg

2 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

The taillights aren’t anything impressive, so brighter LED bulbs.

White LEDs have problems with red lenses, shoulda bought red LEDs.  It'll take a shitload more lumens to equal the brightness of the stock bulbs and the color won't be a proper red.  The ideal solution is to buy LED taillamp assemblies, they're way better because the LEDs are aimed where they need to be so you get much better illumination with a lot less power.  While power consumption might seem to be a non-issue, low power lights make up for the shitty connections that often occur with trailers.  They also play better with turn signal flasher units that don't like additional loads.

I have two of the anchors from Carlos, but 4 more means I can place them in the corners and the other two where they would be the most useful mid-trailer.

An anchor can only be as strong as the installation, this should be fun to watch.

It would be interesting to know how much wind drag that wall/loading ramp creates at highway speed.

4 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

Ha.  Ha.  Ha.

I sold something similar because I never used it…or when I needed it, I couldn’t get to it.  It was sitting in the yard slowly rusting.

Did your yard/storage ability change?

4 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

Utility trailers do better for letting you install anchor points where they are most effective.

Who are you going to hire to tell you where and how to mount them?

1 hour ago, superhawk996 said:

White LEDs have problems with red lenses, shoulda bought red LEDs.  It'll take a shitload more lumens to equal the brightness of the stock bulbs and the color won't be a proper red.  The ideal solution is to buy LED taillamp assemblies, they're way better because the LEDs are aimed where they need to be so you get much better illumination with a lot less power.  While power consumption might seem to be a non-issue, low power lights make up for the shitty connections that often occur with trailers.  They also play better with turn signal flasher units that don't like additional loads.

These came well reviewed.  If I’m not impressed, I can return them…it is Amazon after all.

An anchor can only be as strong as the installation, this should be fun to watch.

Easy peasy.  Drill holes, use good bolts with locking nuts and a washer on the opposing side to distribute force.

It would be interesting to know how much wind drag that wall/loading ramp creates at highway speed.

Since most all trailers come like this, I presume not enough to worry.

Did your yard/storage ability change?

No, but since I will have more use for it, that will make it more bearable.

Since most all trailers come like this, I presume not enough to worry.

Says the guy that won't drive his Prius into town unless he really has to because he doesn't want to waste the gas.

If you know your truck's usual MPG, please report back how much it drops, I'm curious.  The mesh is open enough that maybe it won't make a big difference, but I suspect that it'll be noticeable at highway speed.  Possibly enough to feel it in the amount of throttle needed to keep speed.

These came well reviewed.

So do most LED headlight conversions that don't work for shit.

So do most LED headlight conversions that don't work for shit.

Well, I ordered a pair in red.  Keep in mind it also provides illumination for the license plate, so I’ll try them both and see how I like it.

6 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

I have always wondered about that but thinking of the amount it will be used, might not really be a thing.  Most of the small trailers I see around here are like that now.  It has to be so much more convenient than ramps.  If it does cost him $5 or 10 more per trip vs having a better riding, more useable trailer, I'd take the latter.

27 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

I have always wondered about that but thinking of the amount it will be used, might not really be a thing.  Most of the small trailers I see around here are like that now.  It has to be so much more convenient than ramps.  If it does cost him $5 or 10 more per trip vs having a better riding, more useable trailer, I'd take the latter.

I got curious so I did some googling, it seems to be as bad as I was guessing.  A few people with late model half ton trucks getting around 20-22 mpg dropped to 14-16 pulling an empty trailer with the mesh ramp.  Another guy that tows one full time full of gardening equipment emptied it one day to go get something.  He figured he'd pick up a few MPG by getting rid of the weight, he lost 2MPG.  Many people cut/modify the hinges so they can take it off and put it in the trailer while driving.  I've seen a couple that were hinged in the middle to reduce the height when closed.

Having the bike on should help a little vs. empty.  Using a smaller truck should make it worse than a full-size.

Actually, the liftgate folds flat inside the trailer. This is useful when you’re hauling it empty, but not when you’re carrying cargo.

When you buy the right truck to tow with, the mileage is of no concern.....  🤣

DSC00653.JPG

Edited by xrated
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/20/2023 at 12:34 PM, SierraKLR said:

Go look at Mac’s Tie Downs.  Some of the best straps money can buy.  

Advice on this?  Seems to be the only "kit" option with the features I want.

https://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/straps/utility/packs/10-ft-ratchet-utility-flat-snap-hooks/p/510362/

straps.jpg.026e402dc1be5489b0521fad2694318c.jpg

It has way more bullshit than you need.  All you need is one Canyon Dancer and two straps.  *Maybe* a light duty third simply to keep the back from bouncing, but not actually tight.

D0330BB2-3DE5-4B04-9796-2DC91C9E085E_1_201_a.jpeg

15 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

It has way more bullshit than you need.  All you need is one Canyon Dancer and two straps.  *Maybe* a light duty third simply to keep the back from bouncing, but not actually tight.

Canyon Dancer doesn't work with my set up.

I'm interested in knowing if the features are good for what I'm using it for.  Looks like it, and alternatives on Amazon cost about as much or more.

7 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

Canyon Dancer doesn't work with my set up.

Then you probably have the wrong setup.  It cost me $30 or $35, not worth shopping, and a total no-brainer.  The Triumph/Zero dealer said it's the only thing they use and recommend.  

8 minutes ago, XXitanium said:

@Zero Knievel  What model and year is your BMW?

Sigh...nobody reads the info under my avatar?  2018 R1200RS

3 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

Then you probably have the wrong setup.  It cost me $30 or $35, not worth shopping, and a total no-brainer.  The Triumph/Zero dealer said it's the only thing they use and recommend.  

They don't work with bar end protectors.  I have Barkbusters, so they won't go on the handles.  I also have heated grips, and I've seen how needless tension applied to heated grips can cause premature failure.

I went to Google that.

I was expecting to find BMW forums. I found the org.

https://www.r1200rforum.com/threads/seeking-r1200-1250r-trailering-strapping-advice.58077/

Maybe 2018 R1200RS - ARE that different. It looks like they use chocks mostly.

Yeah, bar ends, I get it, we had some trouble with Organdonor's big bar ends with the canyon dancer.

Are "bar end guards" supposed to mean hand guards?  The ones that completely cover the hands and have two-point attachments?  Because I don't care if you bar end guards are 2' long, the Canyon Dancer will fit.  And if you have single-point guards that go on the bar end, they probably work if you remove the plastic part.

15 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

Are "bar end guards" supposed to mean hand guards?  The ones that completely cover the hands and have two-point attachments?  Because I don't care if you bar end guards are 2' long, the Canyon Dancer will fit.  And if you have single-point guards that go on the bar end, they probably work if you remove the plastic part.

Again....

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/barkbusters-storm-s7-single-sided-handguard-kit-for-hollow-bar-ends?sku_id=1655641