CBR1100XX.org Forum

Cheap Adhesive

rockmeupto125

Looking for a cheap solution.

I am looking for a relatively inexpensive adhesive (I'm thinking maybe 5 gallon bucket) that I can apply with a brush.

I want to adhere thin (8 mil) plastic sheet to a fibrous backing, kinda like a pressed cardboard.  Small pieces up to 4'x8' pieces.  There's no mechanical stress to the bond, no significant moisture component or exposure to the elements, and there's mechanical fasteners as well. I really would just like a small amount of adhesive to keep the plastic flatter to the board.

Any suggestions? It's hard to google something this specific, especially with the poor performance of real results from the search engine.

Thanks!

Many people use Glidden Gripper, a primer sealer, to adhere fiberglass screen to extruded polystyrene boards to join them and/or give them additional rigidity.  It may be the ticket if it doesn't interfere with the chemical properties of either surface you're using.

I have no idea what it costs, but general contact cement is the go-to for this.  And you don't literally brush it on, but sort of.  You use a spatula thing with teeth, not a brush.  I've used it for wood veneers on larger furniture.

29 minutes ago, rockmeupto125 said:

I want to bond sheet plastic as a radiant barrier to Glass Reinforced Fiber (GRF) facing on polyiso insulation. Both are pretty inert.

I wonder if wallpaper adhesive would work.  That's like $90/5 gal.  I did find some subfloor adhesive for $80 as well. 

The question I would have with the subfloor adhesive and contact cement are the solvents they use.  The wallpaper adhesive would probably not have any negative effect, but if the application requires any flexibility at all, I would think it would fracture and possibly detach.

Sounds like some science experiments are in your future!  Following.

$30/gallon on Amazon, but there were similar cheaper ones.  It's solvent free, many of them are.  I chose this particular one because lots of people recommended it for my use.  They're applied with a notched trowel and the instructions show how much coverage area different notch sizes are supposed to give.

I think Oscar forgot to attach his links...  been there.

So in layman's terms you're talking about putting a sheet of plastic on foam board (rigid insulation).  Do they not already offer that?  Mine came with foil on one side, which is the stuff I used to make the "box" that my ladder sits in to stop the heat from my attic to get sucked in to my hallway via the central AC.  That basically sounds like what you are looking for, as that would stop vapor, reflect heat, and is a foam board all in one.  I got it from Lowe's or Home Depot.

They do make foamboard with foil radiant facing.  I paid $7.50/4x8 of non-foil faced, and I'll have to cover it myself.

I found 5 gallon pails of generic liquid nails for $80, which would probably work well to adhere the sheeting. I'd just have to split it into smaller containers so it doesn't set up while I'm working.  I'd rather something a bit less viscous, but that's the cheapest I've found yet other than wallpaper adhesive, which is basically starch.

That's the reason I was asking.  It's 13.68 a sheet down here.  Granted, I don't know the R value, or how many sheets you are talking about; but at $80 bucks a pail, plus your time, plus the plastic, plus the coverage area, the cost effectiveness versus time factor has to be weighed as well.  I'm no spring chicken and I know you got a couple on me and sometimes you just got to suck it up buttercup.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/R-2-9-0-75-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-Faced-Polystyrene-For-Use-In-Garage-Doors-Board-Insulation/3014189

9 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Would paint serve the same purpose as the plastic?

Maybe, but might take a lot, multiple coats over the dark surface and not sure how absorbent it is.

4 hours ago, Furbird said:

That's the reason I was asking.  It's 13.68 a sheet down here.  Granted, I don't know the R value, or how many sheets you are talking about; but at $80 bucks a pail, plus your time, plus the plastic, plus the coverage area, the cost effectiveness versus time factor has to be weighed as well.  I'm no spring chicken and I know you got a couple on me and sometimes you just got to suck it up buttercup.

Several good points. I do question that you get 1 inch polyiso foil faced insulation for 13 dollars.

The link you posted is r2.9, the 1 inch poly is r5.8.  it would cost me about $1200 for that new insulation to cover 1600 sq ft. I'm about to set it all on fire.

Oh wait...it won't burn.

So as part of the whole mess, the load bearing walls are on 2ft centers, as are the trusses in order to maximize the load bearing capability of the roof. However, the non English speaking crew that erected the structure  apparently didn't do numbers either, so some of the open areas are 28 inches, some are 22, and that means that each piece of insulation has to be cut individually to fit where it's gonna go.

• Downvote 1

On 9/12/2023 at 8:32 PM, XXitanium said:

How thick is it? Can it be thinned?

Similar to wet cement.  It's water based, I'm sure you could add some, but no clue if thinning would mess it up.