CBR1100XX.org Forum

Backsplash ideas

SwampNut

This will be the reverse of what we did in our house. We replaced the countertop, but deliberately looked for a pattern that closely matched the old countertop and the backsplash, so it would look good.  Perhaps you can find a veneer that matches the countertop?

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

Perhaps you can find a veneer that matches the countertop?

"Well, that's insane, how many patterns must there be..."  Oh wait, I just remembered that we used to be a service provider for LG solid surface and still have a contact, so maybe.

Still, I think the odds are low, so a contrast is more likely to work.

The wall was shockingly easy to clean.  I can't decide if a functional board makes sense there or not (places to hand or place things).  There's a shitload of heat blowing out of the back/top of the oven, so spices are a no and probably oils would be bad too.  Tools?  Maybe?  I think the female unit thinks visible tools is bad.

65f9245555424ae860d65d46ec1dca28.jpg

And related, I'd like to do something about the gaps and non-squareness of the counters.  Samsung sells a stainless trim kit for $130, which has mixed reviews.  

IMG_2907.jpeg

IMG_2908.jpeg

IMG_2911.jpeg

IMG_2910.jpeg

IMG_2909.jpeg

Here's a generic stainless trim kit for under $40 at Home Depot . . .

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vance-23-3-4-in-Counter-Trim-Kit-for-Backless-for-Slide-In-Stoves-in-Stainless-Steel-CTK-LS/307491499

As for the backsplash, you're absolutely right about the heat issue. 

Maybe consider a simple sheet of stainless cut to your specs? It's easy to install with construction adhesive (no visible screws). It's easy to clean and it'll look like an integrated aspect of the range-top design.

Give it some thought--you'll come up with something cool (we all know you're pretty good at adapting and improvising).

42 minutes ago, ironmike said:

Maybe consider a simple sheet of stainless cut to your specs?

Yeah, the hard part is that we now have gunmetal stainless on the stove, and plain stainless for the microwave above it (and everything else).  So I feel like it would be weird, maybe.

Hey, I know, I have a piece of diamond plate laying around...

Plain black steel would probably look decent, and give the option of sticking magnets to it if you wanna hang tools or decorations.  Or make it a dry erase board if that would be useful.

Hmm, plain steel, decoratively painted, covered with a coating or paper...  That opens ideas.  Magnetic hangers for tools could be useful.

Or I could just stick Leroy on it.