CBR1100XX.org Forum

Moderation is the key to failure

SwampNut

• 1 month later...

Lots of "may" (>5), "likely" (1), "mostly" (3), "looks like" "suggests" and "may not" in that video.

No mention of "demonstrably', "conclusive", "substantiate", etc.

But as a whole, this was a no duh presentation. I mean, who hasn't heard their whole life that plant-based diets are generally healthier? We all make our dietary decisions based on a mix of personal preferences, medical condition constraints, religious variables, economic and geographic considerations. And of course, brainwashing by capitalist advertising pressures.

Reminds me a lot of a TV preacher, preaching to his congregation, who already know it is a sin to butt-fuck your neighbor's kids.

Also reminds me a lot of the junk medical articles in MedScape.

Also reminds me of some of Zero's videos.

The guy needs to make a living, just like all of us, and he has to be given credit for putting some work into it. 

"has written that, while it is well-accepted that it is more healthy to eat a plant-based diet than a typical Western diet, Greger often overstates the known benefits of such a diet as well as the harm caused by eating animal products (for example, in a talk, he claimed that a single meal rich in animal products can "cripple" one's arteries), and he sometimes does not discuss evidence that contradicts his strong claims.[29]

Joe Schwarcz of McGill University has commented that although Greger takes his information from respected science journals and produces impressive videos, he has a vegan agenda and is known for cherry picking of data.[30]"

1 hour ago, RXX said:

who hasn't heard their whole life that plant-based diets are generally healthier?

Well, me.  I've always been told, by "everyone," that humans can't live without lots of animal-based protein.

1 hour ago, SwampNut said:

Well, me.  I've always been told, by "everyone," that humans can't live without lots of animal-based protein.

OK, fair enough. I was introduced to diet issues as part of my studies very early on. Your path led to your avocation.

Speaking of which, today is our weekly neighborhood group dinner, I usually cook.  One of the people is referenced in the image below, it seems.  Sometimes she's not interested in what I'm making, and stated that she wanted "more protein."  So I added more garbanzos, tofu, and such to the next meal.  That's not protein, apparently.  I misunderstood.  Protein only comes from a formerly sentient carcass.  It barely includes fish.

39279.jpeg

6 hours ago, RXX said:

Lots of "may" (>5), "likely" (1), "mostly" (3), "looks like" "suggests" and "may not" in that video.

No mention of "demonstrably', "conclusive", "substantiate", etc.

But as a whole, this was a no duh presentation. I mean, who hasn't heard their whole life that plant-based diets are generally healthier? We all make our dietary decisions based on a mix of personal preferences, medical condition constraints, religious variables, economic and geographic considerations. And of course, brainwashing by capitalist advertising pressures.

Reminds me a lot of a TV preacher, preaching to his congregation, who already know it is a sin to butt-fuck your neighbor's kids.

Also reminds me a lot of the junk medical articles in MedScape.

Also reminds me of some of Zero's videos.

The guy needs to make a living, just like all of us, and he has to be given credit for putting some work into it. 

"has written that, while it is well-accepted that it is more healthy to eat a plant-based diet than a typical Western diet, Greger often overstates the known benefits of such a diet as well as the harm caused by eating animal products (for example, in a talk, he claimed that a single meal rich in animal products can "cripple" one's arteries), and he sometimes does not discuss evidence that contradicts his strong claims.[29]

Joe Schwarcz of McGill University has commented that although Greger takes his information from respected science journals and produces impressive videos, he has a vegan agenda and is known for cherry picking of data.[30]"

What about the mental toll it takes on humans deprived of the pleasure of eating great tasting, satisfying omnivore food?    😁

• Upvote 1

The 350 pound cashier asked me about preparing tofu, as I bought most of Super Target's stock because it was on sale.  I told her a bit about it.  She said, "I don't know nothin' about things that didn't used to walk."  Welp.  Yeah.  I can see that.

4 hours ago, SwampNut said:

The 350 pound cashier asked me about preparing tofu, as I bought most of Super Target's stock because it was on sale.  I told her a bit about it.  She said, "I don't know nothin' about things that didn't used to walk."  Welp.  Yeah.  I can see that.

I have my doubts it is the meat making her heavy.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

I have my doubts it is the meat making her heavy.

Why?

One of my best friends' sister recently landed in the hospital, and all of her various problems stem from obesity and excessive meat consumption.  I posted about here in another thread.  She's cut meat in half (which is still probably too much) and lost 40 pounds.  She can get corrective surgery when she loses another 40-ish (I think from vague memory).

1 minute ago, SwampNut said:

Why?

One of my best friends' sister recently landed in the hospital, and all of her various problems stem from obesity and excessive meat consumption.  I posted about here in another thread.  She's cut meat in half (which is still probably too much) and lost 40 pounds.  She can get corrective surgery when she loses another 40-ish (I think from vague memory).

Remember the Atkins diet?  Eat all meat and lose weight.  Most heavy people I see consume massive amounts of carbs.  If you eat at McDonalds, say a cheese burger, fries and Coke, where does all the calories come from?  Not from that little piece of meat.

In my neighbor's case, she eats massive amounts of red meat multiple times a day, and yes, also all the shitty carbs covered with cheese too.  According to her doctors, the meat had slowed her digestion so much that it led to impactions and hernias that allowed her guts to bind up.  Part of her physical size was literally stored meat shit.

But, I can't have an opinion on this, just repeating what the doctors say.

19 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

According to her doctors, the meat had slowed her digestion so much that it led to impactions and hernias that allowed her guts to bind up.  Part of her physical size was literally stored meat shit.

Wow!  That sounds like a selling point for vegies.

Just now, blackhawkxx said:

Wow!  That sounds like a selling point for vegies.

They didn't tell her to be vegan, but that she needed to replace at least half the meat with real veggies, not just cheesy potatoes and shit like that.  They recommended fiber supplements but also said they don't do what real plant fiber does.

Moderate amount of steak, moderate amount of spinach, moderate amount of...a bunch of stuff.  With a moderate splash of homemade salad dressing.

Moderation can sometimes be the key to yumminess.

image.thumb.jpeg.71d736da93749f44e0fe8719e3335814.jpeg

• Upvote 3

On 8/27/2023 at 11:02 PM, superhawk996 said:

Moderate amount of steak, moderate amount of spinach, moderate amount of...a bunch of stuff.  With a moderate splash of homemade salad dressing.

Moderation can sometimes be the key to yumminess.

image.thumb.jpeg.71d736da93749f44e0fe8719e3335814.jpeg

Not a huge veggie guy, but I would eat that, and like it.  Reminds me a little of the steak salad at Twin Peaks.  Yum.  For balance, I wash it down with a fat free beer.

9 hours ago, jon haney said:

Not a huge veggie guy, but I would eat that, and like it.  Reminds me a little of the steak salad at Twin Peaks.  Yum.  For balance, I wash it down with a fat free beer.

I went with fat free vegan rum & coke.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, 02XXCA said:

Ok, only half sugar!

I wonder how much sugar is actually left after fermenting and distilling.  Oh wait, I have a device right here that can ask the google, turns out that it's 0.  Rum is sugar free.  And fat free.  And carb free.  And has no preservatives.  It's one of the cleanest things you can get from a grocery store shelf these days.

17 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

I wonder how much sugar is actually left after fermenting and distilling.  Oh wait, I have a device right here that can ask the google, turns out that it's 0.  Rum is sugar free.  And fat free.  And carb free.  And has no preservatives.  It's one of the cleanest things you can get from a grocery store shelf these days.

I stand corrected.  It looks like rum has about 97 calories for 1.6 OZ, I thought it contained more calories than that.

13 hours ago, 02XXCA said:

I stand corrected.  It looks like rum has about 97 calories for 1.6 OZ, I thought it contained more calories than that.

Also, although this is completely impossible, in my case the whisky/rum calories seem to do nothing.  Like they pass through me.  You know how carefully I measure things, and I have no weight change in a timeframe when I drink a bit (more than smart), or don't drink at all.  Even though my food calories stay within the same range.  Fucking nuts.

• Upvote 1