CBR1100XX.org Forum

Stretch to fit serpentine belt.

superhawk996

Something I learned about yesterday when working on a 2010 Mazda.  I initially glanced at the belts and thought it would be fairly easy, got a price on the belts and quoted the customer.  When I actually got in there for a closer look I was like WTF?!?  One of the belts has no tensioner, crank pulley to solidly bolted down A/C compressor, nothing adjustable.

There's special tools you can use to remove/install them, I obviously didn't have that...what to do?  Commit.  I cut the old belt off then used a zip tie to get the new one on.  Put the belt completely onto A/C pulley, start it onto the crank pulley, use zip tie to hold it on, and turn the crank to feed it into place.

I've seen people hold a v-belt on a pulley and have someone bump the ignition.  I think they still had all the fingers they were born with, but seems pretty risky to me.

Never encountered one of those like you described, good to know it can be done.  Great tip, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/8/2023 at 10:49 AM, SwampNut said:

You ever heard the story about my buddy SeaJay who would clean the chain on his XX with a rag, on the center stand, with the engine running in gear?

I seem to remember a gruesome photo..

On 7/8/2023 at 11:08 AM, blackhawkxx said:

Do you know how the tool works?   Thanks for the tip.

I coulda sworn I replied to this, maybe I forgot to click the submit button...it happens.

Here's one of them in action.

12 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Thanks.  You should put this on your Christmas list.

Being that it's the first time I've seen one, my guess is that the tool would end up in one of the piles of "had to have it" tools that never gets used again.  Or worse, it'll end up hidden somewhere and I'll have to buy another one just to find the first one.  My zip tie solution wasn't elegant, but it got the job done.  Option 2, I'll get the car's owner to hold the belt against the pulley while I turn the key 😁

On 8/1/2023 at 9:26 AM, 04xx said:

Just done this the the other week cost me two stretch belts.

Were you using one of the tools made for it, or improvising.

On 8/1/2023 at 9:26 AM, 04xx said:

Try the fucking fuel filter removal a length of string and a fuel line disconnect tool

??

1 hour ago, superhawk996 said:

Were you using one of the tools made for it, or improvising.

??

Cable tie method. first belt was just hanging off bottom pully 2mm I thought start the motor it might line-up properly no luck. So went bought a second belt this one went on no problems at all 

24 minutes ago, 04xx said:

Cable tie method. first belt was just hanging off bottom pully 2mm I thought start the motor it might line-up properly no luck. So went bought a second belt this one went on no problems at all 

Fuel filter. YouTube. Mazda 3 Fuel filter change.  by Terence w bird  string method worked fine for me 

Edited by 04xx