CBR1100XX.org Forum

AVON 45/46st combo

BIG BOY

I just got a set spooned on my bike. I have a little over 100 miles on them and they feel great!! Some of that mileage is some awesome backroads in the country on the way home from work, where you can really rip. They seem very stable and very grippy for being sport/tour tires.

oh yeah, i'm runnin 40psi, before anybody asks.

if you get a chance, let us know how they perform at slow to medium speeds on uneven pavement such as you might find on a freeway with rain grooves... i'm curious as to the tread pattern and comments I've heard from an article about 0-10mph directional tread wobble.

The tread grooves are so big you can feel them at very slow speeds (under 10 MPH). No big deal. On freeways and rough pavement there are no issues. I'm at 3k miles as of today, and they hardly have wear. I know I'll get over 6k from the rear. I love the handling and grip.

I've got a set of the 45/46s ordered from M.A.W. and should be here next week sometime. I'm going to put them before I get into the serious riding season time. I'll update how they stick on the Dragon this summer.

Should be Interesting in a few months when the higth mileage figures start showing :grin: , I have the Roads, which also handle like the Avons according to everyone's replies :cool: . I think these are the best two choice's as far as grip and mileage in a single tire are concerned. A fellow rider has a ZX1200 and has a set of AV45/46 in his basement, the 200 series is about 8mm in tread depth :shock: .

My prediction for next year is Metzeler will be feplacing the MEZ4 :wink:

Harry

Really interested in this combo. That and the Pilots. I was talking about this with MaXX last night. My problem is I have been running the 207's on my bike and have become comfortable with them. The one thing I don't like is the mileage. I am worried that if I switch to a different tire I will lose my confidence!!

Ken

Carlos is right, at slower speeds you can feel them, but no big deal. On the slab, they are great, that's how i go to work and on the way home i run back roads and they feel great.

The one bike mag did a test on them on the track and they said they were amazed at the grip and the signs of wear from just being used all out on the track!!

I'd have to check but I should be around 3,500/4,000 miles on my rear 46 and it shows signficant wear (it still remains very nice to ride on). From a look at, I'd say I'll get 6,000 miles out of it.

Hugo

Should be Interesting in a few months when the higth mileage figures start showing :grin: , I have the Roads, which also handle like the Avons according to everyone's replies :cool: . I think these are the best two choice's as far as grip and mileage in a single tire are concerned. A fellow rider has a ZX1200 and has a set of AV45/46 in his basement, the 200 series is about 8mm in tread depth :shock: .

My prediction for next year is Metzeler will be feplacing the MEZ4 :wink:  

Harry

I saw a 250 the other day for a custom Harley---that thing was massive

Yeah, Ken and I were talking about this last night. What I have decided to do (as a Metzeler Bigot) is run the Sportecs until I am leaving on some touring trips then I will throw the MEZ4 on the backi (and leave the M1 up front, I like the grip and on the Slab it doesn't wear to fast). Anyway, have the Avons truly found the majic potion. Mileage and real grip!!! I have only seen Redbird run on the Avons and he had to back off because his backend slipped which made him uncomfortable (completely understandable, I did the same thing on the VFR when I was riding with Chester in Vegas). We were running on questionable roads but Motobeagle and I were able to get moving and hang on with my M1's and his tires (I think they were Bridgestone's, just guessing though). Anyway, you guys with the Avons, not questioning your "spirited riding" skills, but tell me about it. I have seen Chester ride and for those who have ridden with him, you know he can ride well. Randy, the same (what tires do you run anyway, have you tried the Avons???). By the way, I do not claim to be that fast, but it is tough to judge without riding with more of you. I hate sliding a big bike like the XX threw corners, so I am looking for something that sticks, but mileage would be nice too. The M1's, I know will stick, but melts down in 2,500 miles (but only cost $107 for a rear). I am just a touch skeptical over a tire that is getting such high mileage sticking that well. You do not need to prove me wrong as I trust you guys, I just want to be confident before I buy a set to figure it out on my own!! Thoughts???

MaXX

I've been touching the exhaust canisters down with no sliding. The only limitation is that I can't just hammer the throttle out of turns, have to bring it on smoothly. That's my trade-off for the mileage. Personally I'm all about cornering speed and lean, much more than raw acceleration.

Came into an entrance ramp a little to hot for the new Roads :cry: , plus temp was about 40 degree's, plus I ran full air presure :mad: . It was the perfect crash , the bike slid underneath me and and all I got was a scratched knee :lol:

The bike suffered the left lower fairing , engine cover and mirror was severally scratched. thanks to Joe I got the spare parts at less than 50 percent. Very stupid move on my part, but the tire's are great, will put some sand paper to the edges on my next trip.

The Irony of this event was I left my new leather pants at home, thinking of a casually ride. Well I am glad I did (this once) ruined a pair of $30.00 jeans vs. $300.00 leather pants :wink:

Sorry to walk on this tire thread :wink: , we now return you to your regular program, Avons are great

Harry

This is just in time, have the M1's on now, and they are cooked at 2300 miles, front is so cupped the front has a nice hum :sad:

Have spooned on 207's, pilot sports plus the recent M1's and getting tired of replacing every time I turn around, so.. Swampnut.. no complaints at all on the Avons?? it would be nice to get 6000 out of a set. Any one have cupping issues with them?

Thanks Gang

SM

I'm on my third set of Avons now and just today ordered the new 45/46 combo.Needless to say,I highly endorse them.I've had no cupping,running 38 psi,and they hold right to the edge.Mileage runs in the 4500 mile range.(No burnouts).I really noticed how much lighter the bike seemed to steer with the Avons as compared to Metzlers and Dunlops.

Try them,you will like them.

I've got a set of the 35/36s and have a little over 6K miles on them. I've just ordered a set of the 45/46s because of the way that the other set wore and gripped. I am completely satisfied with the Avons.

Thanks at least the price seems right as well... much cheaper than my last set of M1s...

Kind of concearned about the stickyness.. I am getting pretty used to the rennsports on my 600 race machine :)

Thanks all

SM

Looks like my AV39 front tire will last through an AV40 rear, and AV36 rear, and one more after that before replacement is necessary.

Oh, and did I mention no cupping? :)