CBR1100XX.org Forum

Air vent question...

Zero Knievel

The ceiling vents in my house, frankly, weren't well-installed.  The vent metal isn't always square, and in removing some to clean them of mold, I was amazed I was able to get them back in.

Do they make a "vent housing" that would fit in the ceiling hole and provide a sturdy base for the vent to be attached when the installer did a sloppy job in the vent shape/hole in ceiling.  I don't know what such things would be called.

Edited by Zero Knievel

• Zero Knievel changed the title to Air vent question...

I'm pretty sure what he's referring to is the "builder's standard" (aka "that shit'll work") method of hand sawing through the drywall and forcing the square duct through by the power of Greyskull (or in most cases more like Harambe) from the roof side then hammering in the vent from the room side by the power of Hulk Smash and hoping nobody ever takes it apart to see how shitty you cut the hole.

You guys that don't have this thing defined as "humidity" won't know why we have to remove the vents down here in the South because it exposes shitty installs like this.  We have to remove the vents, clean them, then install them correctly and usually stuff plastic bags or insulation around the gaping holes to stop the leaks of roof air into the conditioned space and stop the ceiling from staining.  We also see just how bad they missed with their screws since they are supposed to attach the duct to the grille but usually just end up screwing the grille to the drywall and the AC ends up blowing into the attic until we fix it.

If that's what you mean, Zero, no, I haven't ever looked into any way to correct this issue other than the same way we've all been doing it forever as you can obviously tell.

5 hours ago, Furbird said:

I'm pretty sure what he's referring to is the "builder's standard" (aka "that shit'll work") method of hand sawing through the drywall and forcing the square duct through by the power of Greyskull (or in most cases more like Harambe) from the roof side then hammering in the vent from the room side by the power of Hulk Smash and hoping nobody ever takes it apart to see how shitty you cut the hole.

You guys that don't have this thing defined as "humidity" won't know why we have to remove the vents down here in the South because it exposes shitty installs like this.  We have to remove the vents, clean them, then install them correctly and usually stuff plastic bags or insulation around the gaping holes to stop the leaks of roof air into the conditioned space and stop the ceiling from staining.  We also see just how bad they missed with their screws since they are supposed to attach the duct to the grille but usually just end up screwing the grille to the drywall and the AC ends up blowing into the attic until we fix it.

If that's what you mean, Zero, no, I haven't ever looked into any way to correct this issue other than the same way we've all been doing it forever as you can obviously tell.

Yep…so I have to fabricate a solution? 🥺

Trim the hole out bigger and drywall patch it in square as above (cheap), or buy larger registers and trim the holes properly (expensive and risks air handling issues.)

When I bought my house and the home warranty was still active, the AC guys said the entire duct system was going to need to be redone whenever the inside unit failed because the air handler above it did not have any way to control air flow to each branch.  They figured it was probably original to the house (1977).  That's why the bedrooms are always a different temperature than the living room, which is the furthest distance from the unit.  And because of said shitty install methods, you can't control airflow at the vent because it just air conditions the attic; you have to control it at the handler.  So basically you just run them all wide open here in the South or you're going to have stained ceilings.  They were right, and because they know what the hell they are doing they will get the job when the time comes.  Also make sure you have the vents that are straight across, not the ones that divert in three directions.  That slows the air down and can cause more likelihood of staining and makes for a more inefficient system.

On 4/27/2023 at 7:53 AM, Furbird said:

When I bought my house and the home warranty was still active, the AC guys said the entire duct system was going to need to be redone whenever the inside unit failed

Mine would have failed under warrantee to get the whole job covered.