Jump to content
CBR1100XX.org Forum

Perforated stove pipe?


Recommended Posts

I fabricated the following to protect one of the drainage inlets under the driveway by buying a 2 foot section of black stovepipe and drilling holes in it.  I’m looking for the same material (strength wise) but pre-perforated.  I’ve had no luck finding it, and Google searches don’t come close to what I’m looking for.  The material has to be stronger than chicken wire or other mesh products, which is why I went with the stove pipe.

 

94508C74-D6B4-48C9-8A75-EC370BE04966.jpeg.519ad53a6a0efbb45802d7309e98743f.jpeg

 

AF3A3602-E976-43A8-936D-484DEDAEE57F.jpeg.64846cb73d05a14f604654273aa2dd8d.jpeg

 

8CA92C49-29C8-4AF4-8EC0-8645E558E807.jpeg.70ee2e9f6bed7e49ecfc103bd66ee453.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Or expanded metal, perforated tubing, perforated metal sheet, hardware cloth...

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Biometrix said:

So why not just use perforated drain pipe?

 

What I see in the stores isn't large enough in diameter...plus I'd have to cut it length-wise.  Plastic won't easily hold to a new shape, but if there's a supplier with more options, I'd like to see it.

 

34 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

Or expanded metal, perforated tubing, perforated metal sheet, hardware cloth...

 

Everything I see when I look for this stuff looks very flimsy.  It has to be able to withstand a torrent of water carrying silt and rock in a heavy drainage event.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

 

Everything I see when I look for this stuff looks very flimsy.  It has to be able to withstand a torrent of water carrying silt and rock in a heavy drainage event.

You need different eyes.  They're all stronger than chicken wire, and they're all better options than the drilled pipe you installed.  They'll all flow a fuck ton better than what you installed so they'll have a fuck ton less stress to deal with.  Hardware cloth is the weakest of the things I mentioned, if there will be rocks flowing rapidly with the water it might not hold up, but will likely do better than the drilled piece of metal you installed due to it's ability to let the water through.  Expanded metal is probably your best option; it's cheap, strong, easy to find, easy to cut, and soft enough to shape easily.  There are lots of options on hole size so you can choose the rock size you're willing to let through.  Perforated sheet ranges from being about as flimsy as what you installed all the way to shit you couldn't bend or cut without machinery.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What Oscar says.  I have no idea what you're seeing, but both solid and corrugated (flexible) perforated drain pipe are solid as hell.  Designed to be buried, stronger than normal PVC pipe.  Depot for sure has 6" and may have 8".  You can order it or find it at specialty stores in larger sizes.

 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Advanced-Drainage-Systems-6-in-x-20-ft-Corrugated-Pipes-Drain-Pipe-Perforated-06010020/203298667

 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Advanced-Drainage-Systems-4-in-x-10-ft-2-Hole-Triplewall-Pipe-4520010/100191022

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SwampNut said:

What Oscar says.  I have no idea what you're seeing, but both solid and corrugated (flexible) perforated drain pipe are solid as hell.  Designed to be buried, stronger than normal PVC pipe.  Depot for sure has 6" and may have 8".  You can order it or find it at specialty stores in larger sizes.

 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Advanced-Drainage-Systems-6-in-x-20-ft-Corrugated-Pipes-Drain-Pipe-Perforated-06010020/203298667

 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Advanced-Drainage-Systems-4-in-x-10-ft-2-Hole-Triplewall-Pipe-4520010/100191022


The inlets are on the scale of 16 to 18 inches.  That stuff just won’t do.  I’ll look into the other items you guys listed.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SwampNut said:

You can order it or find it at specialty stores in larger sizes.

 

Not sure why that was unclear.

 

You can buy PVC tube and drill any size/number of holes.  You shouldn't use metal.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use