CBR1100XX.org Forum

repainting upper fairing

v00d00child

I managed to break off one of the upper corners of my upper fairing (don't ask...). Managed to get it pookied back on, and tried doing the rattle can paint job. Did the base coat/clear coat thing, and the finish looks surprisingly good, but the seam line between the new & old paint will never look good.

Anyone care to guess what an auto paint place might charge to shoot an upper fairing? (assuming I brought it in ready to shoot) IIRC, Ron Ayers was about $340'ish for a new one.

TIA

Don't know, but I would just ask.

Find a good shop with a painter that actually can match paint by sight, not just mix up recipes. Bring it in preped and ask him/her to shoot it. Shouldn't be as much as a new one.

Last summer after my hi-side I got a local shop that would paint the cowl, fender and right panel for 400 bucks...too bad I didnt have 400 bucks and the guy that turned left in front of me had no insurance. Since then I have used vinyl to cover most of the scratches...sure beats fur tho

No offense to Furbird :poke:

Mine's black.

Talked to the shop that Fay Myer's uses, they wanted 800-1200 to shoot all parts, 1500 if I went with the 2001 red. I've had cars straightened & painted for less than that.

Kinda went over things last nite with some polishing cpd & colored wax, and I think if I can hit enough bugs, it might blend in to the point where I can tolerate it.