CBR1100XX.org Forum

Oil weight?

The Krypt Keeper

I use the mobil 1 oil 15w-50 like many of us use.

Alot of people look at me stupid or ask why when I tell them the oil I use.

How much of a difference can the oil weight make?

what advantages is there to use a thicker or thinner oil than the 15w-50?

I am not concered too much about my oil lasting 250,000,000 miles before I have to change it. I just want a oil that protects my internal parts till the next oil change

I change my oil and filter every 2500 to 3000 miles.. or about every 6 trips to the mountains :wink:

My engine guy laughed when I told him what weight of oil I was running (15W50). He told me I might as well run gear oil. :oops:

I'm going to stick with the 10W40 from now on for longer trips, and may even put in something thinner if I'm going to dragrace it, or just for a dyno run.

He claims they have seen as much as 8hp with (don't quote me on the actual viscosity) 0W20 race oil. The oil is good for a full weekend of racing, but makes a lot more power.

In owners/service manual. 10-40 reccomended. However you may run all the other weights if ambient falls in the zone. Sounds like Honda can't commit. My 85 Sabre manual said the same.

I don't like the shifting of the 5-40 Rotella synthetic. Is it the weight?

The Mobil 1 15-50 didn't seem to be sapping power when I ran it and the shifting was great.

I still don't know if I'll run the Rotella till 4k miles before I put the M1 back in.

Hugemongous images, of the fronts and backs of Mobil 1 oil bottles:

Front

Rear

I see the medallion, on the rear. The 5w30 (blue cap) has energy conserving printed on the lower half of the medallion, the 15w50 (red) and 0w40 (black) do not.

-J.

Pic fixed.

The 0w40 is only available here in Kansas, from Autozone. Some of the other guys don't have, can't get.

It isn't available at Walmart in KS, and it's not available at Autozone in 5qt, just the singles. This will likely come around, as it's a new weight for Mobil.

This makes it more expensive, but...

I have used it, but not in my bike. May be a little while before I get the chance to give it a go. :)

J.

I know a Mobil distributor up here, so I'll ask him what he can do for me.

He's still the only place I can get the MX4T from, and specializes in race lubricants, so I'll ask him.

A 5w-40 is in reality a 5w oil that has additives that make the oil act like a 40w at high temps, but these additives are the first to wear out. Since MC gearboxes are very hard on oils that have lots of viscosity modifiers, it's best to use oils with little or no viscosity modifiers.

Mobil 1 15w-50 has very little viscosity modifiers while Amsoil full synthetics and Motul high end oils have none. That's why these oils are good bike oils.

In owners/service manual. 10-40 reccomended. However you may run all the other weights if ambient falls in the zone. Sounds like Honda can't commit.

Probably more like...."It's not that important, pick whatever weight makes you happy."

Dave had a synthetic virgin once, in Towanda. Made quite a noise when it popped. Almost woke up all the roof people. Maybe if he had used synthetic virgin oil....

This time I mean it, I am seriously ROFL!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

My Bird has never shifted smoother.. now running the Mobil 1 15-50!

Here we go again. This was copied from an Amsoil website. They seem to think RP has Moly in it:

Royal Purple Info

As you may know, RP is big in racing circles. The chemistry they use is something we choose not to use. One of our big selling points is extended drain intervals. Some additive chemicals can cause adverse conditions when used for long periods.

Royal Purple uses a different chemistry than most. They are one of only a handful of marketers using Moly in their oil. Moly is a solid, specifically banned by Cummins, due to excessive valve train wear.

Moly (Molybdenum Disulfide) is a processed mineral that is similar in appearance to graphite. Moly has good lubricating properties when used either by itself (in dry power form or as an additive to oil or other lubricants). Particles of the Moly can come out of suspension and agglomerate. This can actually clog oil filters or oil lines and the rest normally settles in the bottom of the oil pan. This seems to be more likely when using extended drain intervals. The only test we ran on RP involved their 20W50 Racing oil versus our AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic 20W50 Racing Oil (TRO). We ran two 4 ball wear tests with different parameters, a spectrographic baseline, FTIR scan and volatility tests. The Royal Purple showed a significantly high volatility rate with a 12.51% boil off rate. This compares to TRO with a 4.47% volatility rating. Wear scars were also smaller with the TRO. For example the TRO left a .41mm scar and the RP oil left a .66mm scar. There was also a surprising difference in the viscosity index. The RP has a VI of 129 versus 155 for the TRO. The higher the VI, the better the viscosity stays in place at high temperatures.

This infomation was profided by AMSOIL Tech Department. They had an independent lab test Royal Purple against AMSOIL. The results are posted above. They have found Moly in Royal Purple. As stated above, this can have negitive effects on your engine.

AMSOIL has been dyno tested against Royal Purple, in a issue of Fast Fours & Rotaries magazine. Click here to see the results.

I welcome the opportunity to work with you personally as your servicing AMSOIL Dealer. If you have any questions or concerns please don't hesitate to contact me.

If you would like more information about AMSOIL, click on one of the following links below: