CBR1100XX.org Forum

AVON 45/46st combo

BIG BOY

Thanks at least the price seems right as well... much cheaper than my last set of M1s...

Kind of concearned about the stickyness.. I am getting pretty used to the rennsports on my 600 race machine  :)  

Thanks all

SM

Im running Rennsport RS2s (take offs)---stick frigin awesome--might even get 1K out of them :roll:

Needless to say---I dont go in a striaght line very often---when I grow up Ill try the AVONs

I've got over 1K on my 45/46's. Words can't describe how much I love these tires... Super grip, super handling, super feedback. No chicken strips. Although, going around a tight corner between Yarnell and Prescott two weekends ago, I hit a tar snake and slid the rear about three or five inches. Almost crapped my pants! But the tire regained traction and kept on rollin'.

I have only seen Redbird run on the Avons and he had to back off because his backend slipped which made him uncomfortable (completely understandable, I did the same thing on the VFR when I was riding with Chester in Vegas). We were running on questionable roads but Motobeagle and I were able to get moving and hang on with my M1's and his tires (I think they were Bridgestone's, just guessing though).

Sorry for the delayed response, I was having trouble posting for a few days there. Anyways-

I don't blame the tire for that slippage. The roads were pretty dirty, and I'd been off the bike for three months (as in a little rusty and ham-fisted). I've pushed the Avons a lot harder than I did that day, with no slipping or sliding around. I am thinking about trying a set of M1's, just to see what the difference might be, but they'll have to be signifigantly better in the grip department to make up for the milage I'm getting out of the Avons.

BTW- Jerry was on Dunlop 208's :)

I have ridden on other bikes with the M1's, but not the XX. They were on a Moto Guzzi Scurra, and an MV Agusta F4s. I have also ridden the MV with Pilots, which I also like a lot.

I liked the M1's a lot. I would have no complaints about them at all. However, the Scurra, which is neither heavy nor powerful, ate through them quickly. The owner is not going to use them again. He also thought that the rear did not offer enough confidence in some cases; I didn't find that, but I only rode it at ideal temps on ideal roads.

Neither of those bikes have enough power to break traction, and considering their cost, I wasn't dragging peg on them. So I was unable to compare absolute traction at extremes. I found the M1's handling to be fine, and not all that different from the AV45/46.

I have only seen Redbird run on the Avons and he had to back off because his backend slipped which made him uncomfortable (completely understandable, I did the same thing on the VFR when I was riding with Chester in Vegas). We were running on questionable roads but Motobeagle and I were able to get moving and hang on with my M1's and his tires (I think they were Bridgestone's, just guessing though).

Sorry for the delayed response, I was having trouble posting for a few days there. Anyways-

I don't blame the tire for that slippage. The roads were pretty dirty, and I'd been off the bike for three months (as in a little rusty and ham-fisted). I've pushed the Avons a lot harder than I did that day, with no slipping or sliding around. I am thinking about trying a set of M1's, just to see what the difference might be, but they'll have to be signifigantly better in the grip department to make up for the milage I'm getting out of the Avons.

BTW- Jerry was on Dunlop 208's :)

The Avons 45/46 will slip more easily than stickier tires (on questionable surfaces) but on dry/clean surfaces they are more than adequate IMO.

The only thing I'd be careful about is wet grip.

Hugo

Thanks Tim for responding!

Hugo, knowing that most tires are not that good in wet weather do you think the Avons are worse then most in wet???

Thanks. I am thinking of trying a set on the XX as it is quickly be relegated to ST for me, but I do still occasionally run it hard. Has anyone compared them to the MEZ4's???

MaXX

Hugo, knowing that most tires are not that good in wet weather do you think the Avons are worse then most in wet???

MaXX

Worse than BT 010s that's for sure (but the 010s are very sticky). Other than that, I would not say they are worse than most. It just striked me after the 010s (I ran three or four sets of these).

Hugo

• 3 weeks later...

These tires are awesome!!!!!

I've been pushing the bike harder and harder, and they are incredible!!!

These fuckers stick!!! My bike feels so f'n nimble and neutral now, it's ungodly!!!! Just little flicks and the bike feels like it's ready to scrape on the sides. I virtually have no chicken strips left what so ever. I'm gunna have to start putting the knee on the ground.

Obby, I run MEZ4's for long trips (like upcoming Cody ride). For around here, I typically run M1's but I have a set of Pirelli Diablo's and Dunlop D207 RR's left over to blow through this year too. Nice thing is, all bikes take the same size tire and with my new tire tools, I can change a set myself in about an hour!!!!!

MaXX

Wet grip... my favourite topic living here in the NorthWet. Hugo, can you compare to the BT020's? I was pretty set on getting the Avons as the next set of sticky hoops after the OEM BT57's wear out. But that comment has me making second thoughts now. Bridgies seem to be, in my experience, the best tyre brand for wet-weather grip. Since my riding is mainly around town or long-haul touring mileage is more important than grip in the dry, and grip important when it's wet. If the Avons are crap in the wet, then I'd go to the standard 010 front/020 rear combo that works well on the heavy bikes.

Wet grip... my favourite topic living here in the NorthWet. Hugo, can you compare to the BT020's? I was pretty set on getting the Avons as the next set of sticky hoops after the OEM BT57's wear out. But that comment has me making second thoughts now. Bridgies seem to be, in my experience, the best tyre brand for wet-weather grip. Since my riding is mainly around town or long-haul touring mileage is more important than grip in the dry, and grip important when it's wet. If the Avons are crap in the wet, then I'd go to the standard 010 front/020 rear combo that works well on the heavy bikes.

I have not tried the 020s so I can't be of help (like that's a surprise :grin: ).

Hugo

I ran the BT0 10/20 combo :) , last year, they stuck well in the wet BUT the 10 front cupped badly :sad: , the bird is to heavy for the 10. Got just over 6,000 out of the rear :cool:

my .02 on wet riding is this, I don't care what kind of tire I have I take it easy when the ground is wet :cool: . I do 95 percent riding on dry ground :wink: so that is what I base my tire's on :) . Speaking of 95 percent, that what it is about the new AV45/46 being a great tire :cool: , from this board, so when my Roads wear out (should make 7,000 rear miles) I will give them a try :cool:

Also the bridgestone is an old tire, which does't make it bad just outdated. I also ran the MEZ4's absolutly no cupping mileage the same as the 20, but the 20 stuck a little better

Harry

• 2 weeks later...
This is just in time, have the M1's on now, and they are cooked at 2300 miles, front is so cupped the front has a nice hum :sad:

it would be nice to get 6000 out of a set. Any one have cupping issues with them?

I have about 6000 on my 46ST rear coming up on the wear bars. I have been hammering the rear since, I have a weeklong vacation coming up.

I will change the rear out before leaving. I would have gotten 7 or 8k from the rear in non squid mode. 45ST Front looks new and will probably go 3 rears to one front.....

Jim

45ST Front looks new and will probably go 3 rears to one front.....

Jim

I'll have to re-check but I think I am going to get 9k max from the 45 (front).

Hugo

45ST Front looks new and will probably go 3 rears to one front.....

Jim

I'll have to re-check but I think I am going to get 9k max from the 45 (front).

Hugo

Hmmm. Got me curious. I went out to the garage. At 6K on the AV45ST front I have 1/8th of an inch to the wear bar.. Then 1/8th of an inch after the wear bar. You may be right about 9k. But just eyballing the front it looks like new.

I will report back. I should put on about 5k in the next 2 weeks. I plan on touring most of Arkansas back roads in the next 2 weeks...

let me go check my 45/46s to see how much they are worn.... well, they still look as good as new! and that's after 35 miles! :wink:

so yeah: i just got them on today. feel great, solid at a medium lean (of course still breaking them in) they do have a bit of a rumble at slow speed from the tread, but no biggy. at first it felt like a bolt-is-still-loose style rumble, but i was just being paranoid.

cheers to SD Marc for the wheel swapping assistance! :beer:

I do not feel the 45/46's stick as well as the BT010's I was out riding last weekend and the bike slid again in a turn. It regained its grip, but it is extremelu unsettling when it slides. The roads are a bit dusty here in Alaska, and the temp was only about 60 deg F, but under the same circumstances last year with the BT 010's I did not experience the sliding.